Audiodon's systems

Well, the turntable and heavy rack are gone, and other changes are in the works. More as it happens . . .

The Spendor A9s make a last cameo appearance in the reference system before moving to the home theater system. The Spendor D7s play nice in this room.
In other news, a Sony HAPZ1-ES High Rez dsd/flac/aiff/whatever server/DAC has replaced the turntable.

image.jpg image.jpg

With the Spendor D7s now in place, the system is again taking shape.
Still considering whether to leave the EL-34 based Fisher X-1000 in place and use the Advent 300's tuner or to put my reference Fisher 500-C receiver with 7591s and Teflon coupling caps back in and remove the X-1000 and the Advent. Comparable power and the D7s are 90dB speakers.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Brian.
When I say I'm thinking, it's I'm thinking about asking someone else to make the changes. My days of carrying tube amps are over.

I love the Sony HAP-Z1ES.
The user interface is fabulous.
It takes some getting used to on the set-up side. You need your IT hat.
The CD to DSD upscaling engine is excellent.
It is a unique niche product, and other DSD DACS are available.
In fact I see that the Mitek processes MQA already.
However, for an all-in-one that supports an external drive via USB-2, has an on-board computer using Linux that presents an easy user experience, it can't be beat. It likes to run the show so if you're all computer fiddly, it's not your thing.
Oh, and it sounds great too.

Hi Audiodon,
Very nice audio journey. I finally got to hear the D7 this weekend. I was very much impressed. The only issue was that the front end and the cables totaled $40000, for the $6k D7s. I know the speaker's capability now. But I am wondering, I will not achieve that in my room, since I don't have those expensive equipment. I also heard the ProAc D30RS with a Naim all-in-one system (about $5k). They sounded slightly darker in comparison. But the vocals were much better. But this setup was comparable to mine. So now that I have finalized the 2 brands, I am struggling which way to go. Spendor or ProAcs?

I got a run through of that Sony HAP-Z unit a couple months ago. That thing is sweet!
I don't think you can go wrong with either of the The Fisher scenarios. Both look great and I am sure sound wonderful. The Advent tuner is a looker as well. If it pulls stations....

Back
Top Bottom