Audioquest Dragonfly Black and Red--MQA update available

Wildcat

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Admin
Subscriber
I hadn't seen this posted here yet, but owners of the Audioquest Dragonfly Black or Red can now update their firmware to version 1.06 to add MQA support to their devices. You simply download the installer from Audioquest, and take it from there. It only took me a few minutes to update my Black to 1.06, and when playing back an MQA title via Tidal, I get the new Dragonfly color (purple). It's not a bad way for someone to sample MQA playback on the cheap. (I'm not a fan, but at least I have been able to listen to it.)

Beyond MQA, I've found this little device to be quite a handy little performer. I use a right-angle USB OTG cable with my phone or tablet if I want to listen remotely, or plug it into the laptop. No manual driver installation needed--on both computers, the drivers loaded in the background and I was listening in less than a minute.

I wish Audioquest made a version of the Dragonfly with L/R balanced jacks, and not just the 1/8" headphone jack.

So that is all an MQA DAC is, a little bit of extra code. I don't know why but I was thinking there was a hardware component to it. Guess not..
(I'm not a fan, but at least I have been able to listen to it.)
Of which? MQA or Dragonfly?

So that is all an MQA DAC is, a little bit of extra code. I don't know why but I was thinking there was a hardware component to it. Guess not..

Of which? MQA or Dragonfly?

MQA is done in software/firmware--I guess it depends on the DAC supporting the features that the firmware can enable . Audioquest must have had deep enough pockets to license it from Meridian and not charge anyone for it.

I'm not a fan of MQA (or the company behind it). But I'll leave that debate for another thread. ;)

The Dragonfly itself, I've been raving about to friends. It is surprising the sound quality it packs into a tiny case! Since I have planar headphones now, the improvement is definitely appreciated. I only wish it decoded DSD, but it's not a deal killer as I can only listen to DSD at home (I have a couple hundred SACDs ripped to the server). I bought mine lightly used for just over $80, shipped, but they are only $99 new.

I wish Audioquest made a version of the Dragonfly with L/R balanced jacks, and not just the 1/8" headphone jack.
For its price, I'm not complaining. :D Especially, given that most are going to use this with headphones that have only the 1/8" jack. That might be a neat future idea for the Red.

Back
Top Bottom