Auditioning an unused 57 year old cartridge

ear4audio

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I found an unused 57 year old cartridge in its original presentation box with all the literature including the warranty card and sealed mounting hardware bag.
ADC Model 1. The first cartridge from ADC (1961). A moving magnet design based on the Empire 108 cartridge developed by Peter Pritchard, but with a much higher compliance (30 x 10 -6 vs. 6 x 10 -6 cm/dyne) and a much lower tracking force (0.5 – 2 vs. 1.5 – 5 grams).
The ADC-130 Cartridge System consisted of the ADC Model 1 (MK II) with the R-10 stylus (0.6 mil spherical). Also included was the R-30 stylus (0.35 mil spherical) with a compliance of 40 x 10 -6 cm/dyne and a tracking force of 0.4 – 1.5 grams with a tip mass of 0.5 mg. Specifications included a frequency response of 10 – 20 kHz +/- 3 dB with a channel separation of 30 dB (50 – 7kHz)
The literature cautioned that the R-30 stylus should only be used on modern stereo recordings because many older recordings have shown to have “poor groove formation” and prevents the R-30 stylus from performing at its best.
I used a tracking force of 1 gram with antiskating set at 1. For the most part, vocals were clean but there was sibilance; not as severe as some other cartridges, but no amount of fiddling with the tracking or antiskating would fix the distortion. A strange phenomenon: while the vocals sounded clean and detailed, the background instruments sounded muddled and fuzzy, even with low modulated passages. Bass, while strong was also muddled. There was a slight sandpaper quality with vocals in the tenor or high range. Symphonic recordings were clean but solo passages had the slightest bit of distortion. Since the R-30 is a spherical stylus, I wanted to see how much inner groove distortion was present. The small tip radius probably minimized the distortion, but there was “leakage” heard between channels especially at the high frequencies. All of my “regular” cartridges have either hyperelliptical or line contact styli and I find the sound from these cartridges to be very detailed and refined. It could be the muddled sound that I’m hearing from the Model 1 was considered normal and that I’m being overly critical. I’m sure in 1961, the Model 1 was considered state of the art but much like other audio components, technical advances lead to cartridges that are far superior to their earlier versions.
ADC1-5.jpg
ADC1-7.jpg
ADC1-9.jpg
ADC1-10.jpg
ADC1-11.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes unused old stuff is harder to get going than things that got broken in if there are pliable parts that got dry and crusty over time due to no use - I'm thinking suspension, etc. Although a spherical stylus will sound a little less refined than the more advanced shapes I've never heard one with the problems you are describing.

What record are you using for demo? Try something from the original time for the cart, different master cutting heads and technics than later.

Shure has said that any of their styli over 10 years old, even if never used, could cause harsh or distorted sound due to the possibility that the elastic suspension material had hardened over time. Your ADC may well have sounded different, and better, had you been able to use it when it was new.

My experience with the old and unused (other than old and used up, like me)...an NOS V15Type II Improved stylus I bought earlier this year functions perfectly and the cartridge sounds terrific. That stylus was in the box for 50 years and after about 10 hours of break in, one of the best carts I've ever used.
Then there was the NOS Sonus BlueGold, unfortunately that one never did loosen up. I still have the cart but I don't know what I'll be doing with it down the road. Too expensive to have the stylus rebuilt.

If you've got a used record store near you, I'd suggest looking for one of the early Sheffield records. You can usually get them cheap. They've got a lot of dynamics and you can use them to break in the cartridge, maybe. If they get wiped out by the hardened suspension, no great loss.

I recently acquired an ADC-MLXII mounted to a Dual 1218 that I recently bought at a garage sale for $3.33 (2 TTs and electronics for $10). It works very well, even the stylus was like new with no signs of wear. I also came across a Shure M95HE with a mono stylus mounted to it on a free (given to me) Technics SL-Q2 table. I was able to score a couple of new JICO SAS stylus for it. Very nice.

Your score is a seldom occurring event.

Congratulations! Nice find. I expect some serious break in will be required. This may even be a job for Rawn Re-Grip.
Where is @wualta ?

I know that I’m alot less compliant than I was in ‘61 - and that old suspension probably is too!
The Rawn therapy may make it smoother sounding.

What arm/turntable are you using? The arm in your picture looks much lighter than would have been the norm for when that ADC was current, even with it's high compliance and very low tracking force claims.

Do you have any of the old Shure test records to see where the low frequency resonance point is?

Also, what preamp are you using? The ADC was, like almost all magnetic cartridges back then, an output monster...almost 7 mV according to it's specs. Phono overload could well be possible with a modern high-end MM preamp which is more geared to 1 to 3 mV output cartridges.

Last edited:
What arm/turntable are you using? The arm in your picture looks much lighter than would have been the norm for when that ADC was current, even with it's high compliance and very low tracking force claims.

Do you have any of the old Shure test records to see where the low frequency resonance point is?

Also, what preamp are you using? The ADC was, like almost all magnetic cartridges back then, an output monster...almost 7 mV according to it's specs. Phono overload could well be possible with a modern high-end MM preamp which is more geared to 1 to 3 mV output cartridges.

2.5 to 6mv.

It's mounted on a Yamaha PF-800. There are no specs as to the effective mass of the tonearm but the length is 222mm and the counter weight is 94 grams. The cartridge weighs 6.8 grams and the mounting hardware is .6 grams.
I'm guessing the resonance is around 5 - 6 Hz which is kinda low. Output is 7.0 mv. It's plugged in directly to the phono input of a Yamaha RX V690 receiver. Volume knob is set at the 11 - 12 o'clock position for a comfortable level.

Try and set tracking to 2g, and see how it sounds. If it solves the problem, back off the tracking as you can.

Loose tonearm bearings can cause sibilance.
I have a set of "torture" tests for sibilance. I do have a few cartridges that play these songs with zero distortion using the same tonearm. I wouldn't call the sibilance of the Model 1 severe. Some cartridges have a "sandpaper" quality, the Model 1 is more of a "sshhhh" sound.

Back
Top Bottom