Automotive Analogies

Archguy

Official Roiurama Factory Rep
Been kicking this around in my mind for awhile.
McIntosh must surely be the Rolls-Royce of Audio.

• Old models are still in demand, they almost never go to the wrecking yard,
  • "Triumph of Craftsmanship Over Design" -- somewhat apt.... traditional style, unsurpassed workmanship (refers to pre-German ownership of R-R)
  • owners of less-desirable models still think they're sitting on a gold mine
  • worldwide ownership fraternity...
  • parts and service are crazy expensive...
  • can require substantial maintenance but it's a labor of love for owners
  • Very, very few ever end up in junk yards.
  • Many models are worth whatever it takes to restore them. The dealer at Vantage Motorworks once told me about a classic Rolls convertible he was allowing to be test-driven by complete strangers who showed up at the dealership: "They're impossible to 'total'..."
So who is Bentley then? Porsche? Mercedes, BMW? Maserati? Chevy?

• "Triumph of Craftsmanship Over Design" -- somewhat apt.... traditional style, unsurpassed workmanship (refers to pre-German ownership of R-R)
  • Many models are worth whatever it takes to restore them. The dealer at Vantage Motorworks once told me about a classic Rolls convertible he was allowing to be test-driven by complete strangers who showed up at the dealership: "They're impossible to 'total'..."

If you've ever been around old RRs, then you'd realize that they are considerably less reliable than McIntosh. The workmanship left much to be desired during a span of several decades; however, they are much better today than they were back in the 1970-1980s. The last Bentley Continental GT I drove was finely appointed and overall was an excellent vehicle, but drove like, well, a car that weighed as much as it does. Stark loud old aircooled 911 Porsche Targas remain my favorite 2 person car despite what they give up to the later H2O cooled Porsches.

McIntosh is not Cadillac. Cadillac has changed too many times along the way since 1969, first badge engineered GM land yacht, then since 1992 wanting to be a different kind of American Luxury, now they want to be BMW. McIntosh's basic philosophy hasn't changed. Cadillac has several times in my lifetime.

JVC has a nice underdog Mopar vibe. Zero snob appeal - like the Plymouth Roadrunner with rubber floor mats instead of carpet.

That is more like a Crown DC 300, the USA amplifier equivalent of a Mopar muscle car, nothing fancy. Heavy, tanklike American Iron. All business like a Mopar muscle car, and very Indiana. JVC is like a Nissan car. Pioneer is like a Toyota, Sansui is like a Honda, Denon and Onkyo are like a Mitsubishi Colt. Accuphase is like a Lexus LS 450.

Bentley would be Audio Research or Conrad-Johnson.

Back in the day, I equated all the different standard manufacturers to the GM line, Got your common discounted made everything brands we all know as the Chevy, a step up was the Pontiac, maybe the better models. Then the Buicks and Oldmobiles for the Yamaha/Sansui/Marantz and such and then the Cadillac was the better stuff from many.

The Ferraris were the gear you got to tweak, separate tonearms and tables with MC cartridges and step up/preamps of some sort.

Not all brands fit one car brand and not all gear could be categorized but in general, most of the gear we discuss here on AK is in the General Maudio categories.

The AR XA turntable is the Model A Ford of high-performance audio, or perhaps the 1932 Ford Model 18 coupe (the Deuce) with the flathead V8. Its styling is simple and elegant, its performance in stock form is very good, and it accepts all manner of modifications that make it perform better than stock.

Love it!! Of course auto analogies won't be perfect (or even close) but they can still be fun.

WHO puts performance above all else, and is cutting edge, though venerable as well? Porsche = Bryston?

WHO is old-school British but still top quality? Jaguar = Bowers & Wilkins?

WHO is the black private dick that's a sex machine to all the chicks?
Oh sorry lost the plot there for a sec.

JVC has a nice underdog Mopar vibe. Zero snob appeal - like the Plymouth Roadrunner with rubber floor mats instead of carpet.

That is total genius.

JVC is like a Nissan car. Pioneer is like a Toyota, Sansui is like a Honda, Denon and Onkyo are like a Mitsubishi Colt. Accuphase is like a Lexus LS 450.

You are WAY too mean to the Japanese audio brands :no:

I consider the EL84 a small block and the EL34 the Big Block

Having owned amps with both tube types, I'd consider the EL84 to be the Chrysler 2.2-liter SOHC Four from the K-car era and the EL34 to be the Chrysler Slant Six. :D

Love it!! Of course auto analogies won't be perfect (or even close) but they can still be fun.

WHO puts performance above all else, and is cutting edge, though venerable as well? Porsche = Bryston?

WHO is old-school British but still top quality? Jaguar = Bowers & Wilkins?

WHO is the black private dick that's a sex machine to all the chicks?
Oh sorry lost the plot there for a sec.

That is total genius.

You are WAY too mean to the Japanese audio brands :no:

No, Japanese cars are synonymous with dependable, economical, reliable operation and great well built performance. I mean it as a compliment. And of the highest. Lexus is often more reliable and better executed than a comparable Mercedes-Benz, or Audi, especially the LS series. I value reliability, well made, and long life in what I own. In vehicles, Toyota and Lexus for me are valued due to this. And good Nissans and Hondas have done the same for me. When domestic cars have often let me down, the Japanese rarely ever give me issues. I don't give better compliments than this.

The AR XA turntable is the Model A Ford of high-performance audio, or perhaps the 1932 Ford Model 18 coupe (the Deuce) with the flathead V8. Its styling is simple and elegant, its performance in stock form is very good, and it accepts all manner of modifications that make it perform better than stock.

Yes, or a Volkswagen Beetle. Cheap, reliable, great build quality and overall execution for little cost. Simple and very reliable with outstanding qualities. I would also extend this to the Pioneer PL 12-D, the Japanese equivalent to the AR XA, cheap and very fine. The most you can buy for the least cost.

Both McIntosh and Cadillac are the oldest and longest-in-continuous-production American manufacturers within each of their respective fields with both being pricey relative to the competition. Both offered innovations that would subsequently become mainstream throughout their industries.

In many ways I think Cadillac is an appropriate metaphor for McIntosh, if only culturally and historically.

Back
Top Bottom