AVA Super 70 PC Board

reed338

Hi,

Anyone out there have an AVA super 70i pc board you can part with? I would prefer the older version you see from the 80s with an opaque white board material.

PM me.

Thanks!

We never made a Super 70i board from opaque white board material.

Note that a complete Ultimate 70 rebuild kit is $449 and it builds a much better amplifier than the original Super 70i.

Note too that the original version of the 70i board used 7199 tubes. Later versions and current U70 amplifiers use more available 6GH8A tubes. Same tube, different and non-interchangeable pin out.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the info :)

I have seen the attached type board floating around in the past. Was looking for one to use...in a low budget build. I am guessing this would have been a home brew version?

Attachments

• image.php.jpeg
    image.php.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 107
That is our board but not our parts, obviously from a do it yourself plans and bare board we supplied long ago.

The board is green, not white. Bad color balance in the photo.

Without seeing the foil side I can't tell if this board is pinned out for 7199 or 6GH8a tubes.

The 7199 and 6GH8A are the same tubes, just different pin out, so parts values remained the same.

Frank

The Ultimate 70 rebuild kit ($449) comes with a set of 6GH8A single tubes so ther is no need to change its circuit board.

Frank

I will research this for you when I have time. I am not sure that it is easily possible with the Ultimate 70 board which has a full ground plain, not a simple one sided board like the old Super 70i.

Frank

Due to its double sided construction with a bottom ground plain and plated through holes, our newest PC-1104 Ultimate 70 mother board is not a candidate for conversion to use 7199 tubes.

So your choice is to invest in hacking up an original Super 70i board to use 7199 boards or simply going for the day and night better sounding Ultimate 70 board and suffer along with 6GH8A tubes.

If the $449 cost of the Ultimate 70 rebuild kit is too much for you, note that the bare PC board and complete rebuild plans are available for $149.

Frank

Keith, I've seen plenty of adapters to use the 6GH8A in place of the 7199 and have wondered if this same adapter can be used the other way around. If not, I don't recall seeing adapters specifically for using 7199 in place of 6GH8A? Or, did I just miss them?

Referring to the previous post about modifying the PCB, as far as the ground plane and plated-through holes on the PC board, as long as the board is just two-sided with no internal layers, I would think it should be possible to make orderly cuts and jumps in the foil so that 7199 can be used directly with no adapter, if desired.

I was primarily concerned about differences in related component values, especially the resistors, in switching between 6GH8A and 7199. For example, Dave Gillespie uses different resistor values for his drop-in replacement board for the SCA-35, the reason being his board uses 6GH8A in place of the 7199. Note the description of the PC-10A Output Board Set here: http://www.audioregenesis.com/ Have been wondering if something similar might apply if swapping these tubes around in the Stereo 70 or its variants like the AVA Ultimate 70 / Ultravalve.
Peter,
These adaptors are use specific- 7199 bottom + 6gh etc top
Have seen plenty on Ebay.
Just send an email to any adaptor advertiser and they will make what you want to order..

Keith, I've seen plenty of adapters to use the 6GH8A in place of the 7199 and have wondered if this same adapter can be used the other way around. If not, I don't recall seeing adapters specifically for using 7199 in place of 6GH8A? Or, did I just miss them?

Referring to the previous post about modifying the PCB, as far as the ground plane and plated-through holes on the PC board, as long as the board is just two-sided with no internal layers, I would think it should be possible to make orderly cuts and jumps in the foil so that 7199 can be used directly with no adapter, if desired.

I was primarily concerned about differences in related component values, especially the resistors, in switching between 6GH8A and 7199. For example, Dave Gillespie uses different resistor values for his drop-in replacement board for the SCA-35, the reason being his board uses 6GH8A in place of the 7199. Note the description of the PC-10A Output Board Set here: http://www.audioregenesis.com/ Have been wondering if something similar might apply if swapping these tubes around in the Stereo 70 or its variants like the AVA Ultimate 70 / Ultravalve.
http://hardware.ui3g.com/ You can find some pcb manufacturer on this website. I think this website is very useful for electronic engineers.

Back
Top Bottom