AVATAR...Just saw it yesterday. Did you?

Urchinn

Well, A good friend called me yesterday with a surprise: two free tickets won on a radio station...lets go! A couple hours later we were in line at the Hooksett (New Hampshire) Imax, surrounded by a mixed crowd of geeks, moms, stoners, youngsters, and generally excited movie fans. In no time I had my 3D glasses in hand, and we were scrambling for the Imax seating "sweet spot" (sweet spots may vary...find your own). So...Avatar...lets see If I can sum it up (without spoiling anything for those who haven't seen it). Its a nearly three hour bit of light entertainment for gosh sakes. Anybody looking for lasting meaning in a James Cameron film ought to be examined. The acting was the way it was supposed to be, the plot was certainly better than most blockbusters, and the special effects were pretty much SUPERB. The 3D glasses were similar to the older style of two differently colored lenses (as opposed to the Harry Potter 3D films that use an equal amber-lensed arrangement) but they were not fatiguing after the first couple of minutes. The dimensional effects were always "natural" and occasionally awesome! Cameron threw Starship Troopers, Dances With Wolves, The Matrix, and The Lion King into a new age military blender (run by solar power)...whipped it up...served it on ice. A great ride while it lasted...

Gotta see it

I saw the trailer and when they were on pandora I thought i was immersed in a world created by Roger Dean. :banana:

I have yet to see "Dances With Smurfs." Still debating on whether I can stand the typical Hollywood pap and propaganda in order to check out the 3-D.

the kids went and saw it opening night at the midnight showing ( in 3-D ) said it was amazing , longgggg but amazing.

Since it is a Cameron film, and it is three hours too long, I will pass. We are going to see the new Holmes flick on Christmas day.

It looks like killer eye candy, but from what I can discern from the hype, it doesn't look like anything storywise that we haven't seen a bazillion times before....

I'll probably wait until it hits the dollar cinemas...

Two hours, thirty-six minutes. We saw it yesterday afternoon. Visually awesome - the 3D effect was very good. There was a scene with falling ash after a huge fire; I couldn't figure out where in the theater it disappeared to when it fell below the level of the screen. Then I realized it was the 3D effect.
The story was nothing groundbreaking but well done. All the best cliches were there and some of the usual character actors showed up in the appropriate parts.
Pack your preconceived ideas and criticisms away, put on the 3D glasses, and have a fun movie. You're going to see a lot of this technology for FX movies in the future.

Funny...I was thinking about Roger Dean the entire time I was watching the film! I was also thinking how much James Cameron loves the deep ocean...because a large part of the jungle scenes are salt water inspired!

Screw the 3-D glasses..They give me headaches..

they they are totally different , I looked at them and put them on , they look like basic sunglasses , nicely made actually and there is no offset or color at all , weird . :scratch2:

ecandle...these Avatar glasses are old-style two differently colored lenses. But other 3D (UP...for example) films have glasses that are the same color in each lens. I'm wondering if any 3D experts out there can tell me what is up with that...

This movie kind or pushes the word Epic. It's Cowboys and Indians in some respects. The villain was quite villainous. :twak: Sigourney Weaver was fun to see. A biological internet but on a much grander scale, I never felt like there were really unnecessary explosions. It's funny it didn't gloss over as much as I thought it would, which was a really nice surprise.

What I really did like was how the wheelchair and his disability never was the focus of his character, he wasn't put on the pedestal which was really cool.

My wife wants to see it again:yes: me too in fact, IMAX this time, the night scenes were stunning.

Mark

ecandle...these Avatar glasses are old-style two differently colored lenses. But other 3D (UP...for example) films have glasses that are the same color in each lens. I'm wondering if any 3D experts out there can tell me what is up with that...
Ours were neutral grey. No color tint at all. They worked really well.

Last edited:
Sigourney Weaver does absolutely nothing for me, but I trust Roger Ebert's review of four solid stars. I'll be getting the DVD when it comes out.
Tom

My wife saw this movie yesterday in 3D with some coworkers....she was dreading it since the previews really didn't make her think it would be a movie that would interest her. She told me it was "phenomenal!" If my wife enjoyed it, I'm sure I'll like it - maybe not "love" it, but I'm going in knowing what kind of movie this is. Looks like I'm going to see it tomorrow.

I went to see the Thursday midnight showing in IMAX 3D.Im blind in one eye,but when I went to see the U2 concert movie,they used a neutral grey lens,so I thought it would be the same,but it was the old green/red deal,so I had to turn in my ticket for a 2D showing.Amazing action and effects,and the usual new agey plot.
A lot of fun.
Jimmy

The new type are basically polorized.

I see a lot of 3-d movies and the I-Max system is by far the best in my opinion. I don't like Disney 3-D and Pixar is my second preference.

BTW - the best 3D movie I have seen is called "The Ant Bully."

Really good in all aspects - even the plot.

DH

Back
Top Bottom