Average Price Of Interconnects In Your Main System

Discussion in 'AK Polls' started by Tripqzon, Dec 3, 2006.

?

How Much Did You Spend On Average For The Interconnects In Your Main System?

1. $0 - $10

118 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. $10 - $35

114 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. $35 - $60

50 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. $60 - $100

31 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. $100 - $300

52 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. $300 - $600

12 vote(s)
    3.0%
  7. $600 - $1000

9 vote(s)
    2.3%
  8. $1000 and Up

8 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. 2channel*

2channel* Well-Known Member

$46. Speaker cables aren't included, just ICs.

2. 2channel*

Have you compared all copper to a mix of silver and copper? Especially in speaker wire? I bought the last of the Auvio 12 g premium off the shelfs of the local Ratshack. I noticed an improvement over all copper 12 g...I think. I did not when went to bi-wire from one set of speaker outputs. I'm upgrading my amp/pre soon, so I was wondering.

Smallies likes this.
  3. silver faced

silver faced AK Subscriber Subscriber

I go to my local electronics recycler and spend on average $2 for killer gold playted cables, I buy lots of them and hook my buddies up for cost

4. 2channel*

Local electronics recycler? Where do you find those? Here it's the county recycling center on special drop off-days. What goes in doesn't come out.

5. silver faced

silver faced AK Subscriber Subscriber

In the Tucson area we have 3 electronics recycle rs , I stop by once and a while when i get off the mountain. One i go to all the time got to know the guys and will let me do some deals, they have a small retail area and internet stations for the poor. I have gotten some neat stuff prior to joining AK. $5.00 bucks for anything out back on pallets. Now that im into vintage again ill start stocking up . I got 3 crappy TT's last trip just for the cartridges one of them turned out to be a $400.00 cart . Traded a friend for some stuff. All cables .50 to 2.00 bucks lots still in packages

Attached Files:

6. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume AK Subscriber Subscriber

I`ve purchased a lot of used Monster cable interconnects off FleaBay for a few bucks, they seem to be adequate for my needs. I never subscribed to those theories like "the signal KNOWS which direction it`s traveling inside the wire", and that my ears are probably not sensitive enough to detect the benefits of oxygen-free copper, etc.

7. FOH Engineer

FOH Engineer Super Member

Nicely stated analysis, after using and testing.
    Glad that in the end you trusted your ears, So many trust measurements over ears..if the ears aren't pleased whats the point.

313guy likes this.
  8. WhiteNoize

WhiteNoize Member

$89

My main rig uses all Analysis Plus Oval One interconnects.

But I'm now making my own for much less. I haven't put them into my main rig yet.

9. Smallies

Smallies Super Member

Got into IC's on the MIT online sale website. EXP3 for $20 and EXP2 for maybe $40 or less. The 2 was way better but it didn't play well with the Shotgun speaker cables I just had to buy because of the name and the looks. Scrounged up a Shotgun S3.3 for $399. Strange to hear the music come out much wider than the speakers and they tame the bass too so bonus, don't need all that.

10. Deonild

Deonild New Member

I had an old rca cable which worked fine, but I wanted to get a newer cable just in case. Went to Best Buy and got a RocketFish rca cable. Swapped it out and immediately had worse sound, less bass. Returned the Rocketfish cables, did some more research and now have a few decent RCA cables ($50-60ea short length). Little difference I can detect between these, but major improvement from the Best Buy cable:
    - Mogami Gold
    - Tributaries 4A

11. justjed2

justjed2 Active Member

Interconnects are all Blue Jeans LC-1's, about $35/pr. Got tired of the mess of multi-branded/whatever-was-laying-around cables I had before. Going to all matching cables did make a difference. Previously, I would disconnect, clean, and reconnect all RCA ends at least once a year, to keep oxidation down, and I knew what the system sounded like. I bought the entire set of LC-1's and installed them all at the same time. The difference wasn't 'night and day', but it was noticeable smoother, cleaner, and more detailed. My rig is all pretty much lower-end mid-fi, and I don't think it would be worth upgrading to more expensive interconnects. I'm pretty happy with the sound I have now.

12. jt1135

jt1135 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Using rg59u with soldered heavy duty gold plated rca connectors my brother got in Germany in the early 80's when he was in the army.

13. kvining

kvining Member

On the speakers, I use lamp cord I buy at Home Depot. I solder on whatever's on sale at Amazon for banana plugs. My electrons are just not that picky. For component interconnect, I like the Whizzotech line sold on Amazon, they are rated for use as digital coax as well as an RCA interconnect and are very well shielded. My wife banished me and the stereo to the basement a long time ago and fluorescent lighting causes a hum if I don't use a well shielded cable. When she flicks on the basement light to yell at me to turn it down I don't get a hum anymore, the only irritating thing I hear is her.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Markoneswift likes this.
  14. kvining

kvining Member

I did that once and one used set pulled the jack grounding caps off my amp they were so tight. Sometimes there is a reason they are in the junk pile and I no longer want to be the second guy who finds out why, so I stay away now.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  15. Mike-48

Mike-48 New Member

Mine are about $100 per pair. But that's for a 20 ft long pair of balanced interconnects, made by a Pro Audio shop from Gotham GAC-4/1 cable and Neutrik XLR connectors.

16. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Well-Known Member

99% Monster Cable(newer & older models), both digital & analog, video & audio.
    Average price, probably $ 30.~50. per ?
    Total expenditure for interconnects from 1990, easily well over $2000.00 for just the living room`s A/V rack which includes 2 separate audio control systems.
    1 for the living room`s use, & 1 for distributing audio & 5 channels/types IMG_0316.JPG of video to 5 rooms of my house via Cat-6 with baluns
    Most of you folks have it easy, this pic from 2013 shows only the rear one of 2 racks bolted together !!
    OKB

4-2-7 likes this.
  17. 2011etec

2011etec Super Member

Cables at local pawn shop.New Chinese stuff ,gold like plated,lol.About 6 to 10 a set of 2 .They actually feel heavy and fairly well built.

18. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

Most of mine are $200-$300 per pair, mostly Balanced XLR, except my turntable stages that are RCA

Speaker cables $300- $800 per pair.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  19. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Well-Known Member

Too rich for my blood !! HAHAHAHA !!

20. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

Well I have a bit less to hook up than you do, and really some of my speaker cables where perks. It doesn't make them free as I make Mc dealers throw something in if they want me to buy from them instead of the next dealer. If I buy a amp you bet I'm getting some cables to hook it up, it helps knock the 8% tax off $6000 amps.

Bill Ferris likes this.