AVID thread

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by mhardy6647, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Johnny_Law

Johnny_Law AK Member Subscriber

Quick vid of my naked AVID 101's playing some streaming Clapton from Amazon Prime. Video makes the tweeters sound more harsh than they are (and also makes two of my SX-828's LED backlights disappear at times)

I hadn't listened to them in a while, but untouched they hold their own in the presence of my recapped AR-3a's and L26's. I will recap and replace the vinyl with veneer soon.

(Edit 5/6/16: I replaced the cap with a Janzen cap with a bypass cap and it sounds sublime now. Now if only I can get them to look as good as they sound!)

I hope this link works.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JplZe4bp2x_ETkgUY5DjLdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

And a pic with the grilles on:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2016

Please register to disable this ad.

2. George W

George W Active Member

I owned Avid 80A s . I don't know the difference of an "A" designation but it looked exactly like your photo.

3. moparjeff

moparjeff New Member

Wow Groovegrinde!! Gordon Miller Music in Baltimore is where I purchased my AVID's back in the mid 70's when I was a teenager. Gordon Miller was considered a high end stereo store at the time. They had a really neat "exchange" program where you had up to 1 year to bring back a pair of AVID's purchased from them and they would give you full price credit towards the purchase of an upgraded model! This was really great for me! My first pair of AVID's were Model 80a and 11 months later I brought them back and traded them up for the newly introduced Model 110's. I'll never forget hearing them in the Gordon Miller demo room.....I was FLOORED at how clean and open they sounded. I still have them to this day and am listening to them right now as I type this post. They still sound absolutely amazing for their size. I love seeing the surprised look on my house-guest's faces when they hear them. I drive them with a 120 wpc Realistic STA-2100 receiver.

I also vividly remember seeing and listening to the AVID 330's at Gordon Miller. They had that same clean open sound of the 110's but with so much more bass. Being a teenager in the 70's with very limited financial resources, I could NEVER afford them, but I made a vow to myself that "someday" I would have a pair of them for my own. Now, so many years later, thanks to the internet and EBAY, I've made good on my vow and now own a very nice pair of both Model 330's and Model 230's to go with my 110's.

Interestingly, I find so much content online about the earlier AVID models 100, 102, 103's, but so very little about the later models like I have. Since you actually worked at AVID during that time, I'd be ABSOLUTELY interested to hear ANY and ALL info you have to offer!!!!!!! Such as....were the later models less popular or offer less quality than the earlier models? Was AVID's heyday already waning, as a business, by the time the newer models came out? If the answer is yes to any of these questions, I'd be dumbfounded because I listened to and compared ALOT of speakers at the time before buying the AVIDS and NOTHING (at least in my price range) could compare....not even close!

nexus likes this.
  4. Killer Fox

Killer Fox Super Member

Just picked up a pair of 103s off of CL over the weekend for $50. I probably could have had them for less but I was squeezing in picking them up between family obligations and in a huge rush. I wasn't familiar but looked them up here, contacted the guy and had them in my truck in an hour.

My other current speakers are Klipsch KG-4 (looking to move up the Klipsch line though) and Yamaha NS-690. How do they compare to those speakers?

20161205_135111.jpg 20161205_134923.jpg 20161205_134946.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  5. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Probably pointless self-promotion but you might enjoy this little collection if you haven't seen it. Not AVID but GMM-related.

I got nothin' on the later AVIDs and defer (of course!) to an erstwhile AVID employee!

https://flic.kr/s/aHskjaNkuL

[​IMG]GMMcatalog by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Ds2000 likes this.
  6. DerekRI

DerekRI New Member

Copying this from the speaker forum!

So I've had a couple pairs of AVIDs for a while that were given to me by a friend. A set of 102s and a set of 230s. When I got them, I hooked them up and was... underwhelmed. I put them aside until I could do a recap. I just got around to recapping the 230's, and it did clean up the sound a good bit, the mid range sounded great... but they were still off. I put my ear up to them and realized that neither tweeter was working. Tested them, and they are open-- fried.

This model, and others, use a B&G tweeter. Anyone have an old set of AVIDs with blown drivers but good tweeters that you want to part out?!?! :) I found *one* on ebay that I scooped, but still need one more!

Being a local and proud Rhode Islander, I really want to get these locally-made classics back to their original glory. Help AK!!

Thanks!

Please register to disable this ad.

7. sum of sand

sum of sand Active Member

Open the tweeter and make sure the leads havent broken?
    I easily fixed avid 330 mid dome with a corroded lead

8. DerekRI

DerekRI New Member

They looked to be in good condition, but I will double check! Thanks for the suggestion!

9. baco99

baco99 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hey all - FYI, I will be posting some information about the Model 330 here in the coming weeks.

Johnny_Law and mhardy6647 like this.
  10. motorstereo

motorstereo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Now there's a model you don't hear much about for some strange reason. I had a pair pass thru here years ago and surprisingly to me they bested a pair of much much more expensive Khorus Talons I also had at the time.