AVID thread

Hi all,

Funny, how ironic I find this thread this morning. Only last night, I received a email from my brother Stephen (aka Steely Dan Guy) here at AK.
Stephen wrote to tell me he just found a pair of AVID 3 something
(large 3 ways) in Rhode Island. Stephen says they sound rather good! However, knowing brother Stephen, they soon be listed on Craigs list lol!

Regards,
SixCats!

LOLOL
Well, hey, there's always the very strong possibility that I'm (gasp!) wrong!
101's got ports, I'll delete the post. Apologies all around.
Tom

And, voila, here they ARE! Ported AVID's!
Model 101. Built Dec. 21, 1977. According to the tags stapled to the bottom.
Yes, the bottom, for some reason, the terminals and the model info are on the bottom of the cabinets.

EDIT: And that's not all that is strange about this pair of AVIDS. Besides the drivers in front, they have a super-tweeter on the other three surfaces of each cabinet, in case anyone wanted to know!

Attachments

• IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 298
And, voila, here they ARE! Ported AVID's!
Model 101. Built Dec. 21, 1977. According to the tags stapled to the bottom.
Yes, the bottom, for some reason, the terminals and the model info are on the bottom of the cabinets.

Is that a tweeter on the side of the cabinet? Also, is that a Pioneer CS-Gxxx I see in the background?:scratch2:

Well, I'll be jiggered.
I'll be the very first to admit that I sure don't know everything, even about my own gear, never mind others'. Thanks for the pix. Now I know.
:stupid:

Is that a tweeter on the side of the cabinet? Also, is that a Pioneer CS-Gxxx I see in the background?:scratch2:
Good looking out, yo!!
Yes that is a pair of almost mint condition, yet still worthless, Pioneer CS-G403's. That some guy at a garage sale literally begged me to take for free, even though I protested loudly that I didn't want, or need them. He even knocked $5.00 off the $10.00 I paid for a pair of Dahlquists to take the Pioneers, too!!!

Actually, I think it's a super tweet, as it is smaller than, and looks nothing like the phenolic ring, front mounted tweet. And there is actually a super tweet on both sides and the back, of each cabinet!

Good looking out, yo!!
Yes that is a pair of almost mint condition, yet still worthless, Pioneer CS-G403's. That some guy at a garage sale literally begged me to take for free, even though I protested loudly that I didn't want, or need them. He even knocked $5.00 off the $10.00 I paid for a pair of Dahlquists to take the Pioneers, too!!!

Actually, I think it's a super tweet, as it is smaller than, and looks nothing like the phenolic ring, front mounted tweet. And there is actually a super tweet on both sides and the back, of each cabinet!
Oh wow. How do they (Avids) sound? :scratch2: Man, I could take those Pioneers off your hands.:D My church needs a set of speakers for the youth room. Where are you located? (PM if interested.)

Good looking out, yo!!

Too bad you're not near to here... I could use a replacement pair of CS-G403 cabinets, for free! :D

Got a few modified pairs I use for Anime Weekend Atlanta, and one of them is so dog-eared I think the cabinet might fall into pieces at any instant. Definitely something I need to attend to, soon!

Regards,
Gordon.

Man, I could take those Pioneers off your hands.:D My church needs a set of speakers for the youth room. Where are you located? (PM if interested.)

YamahaFreak, if you can make it up here (Atlanta GA, basically) to get them, I have a pair of KLH Model 6s that I'll GIVE you, for your church. Tired of looking at them collecting dust. They work fine, they just need some TLC in the sanding/restaining deparment...

Regards,
Gordon.

Yousa, other Avid owners.

I have a pair of their big speakers - the 330s. I bought them at an audio show in NYC around 1980 directly from Avid and they gave me a great deal to take them off their hands - I paid $500 for the pair including stands.

I've refoamed them 2x and I still use them today.

Great sounding speakers and they certainly were worth the $$$$$ I paid for them.

Too bad you're not near to here... I could use a replacement pair of CS-G403 cabinets, for free! :D

Got a few modified pairs I use for Anime Weekend Atlanta, and one of them is so dog-eared I think the cabinet might fall into pieces at any instant. Definitely something I need to attend to, soon!

Regards,
Gordon.
Gordon:
Do you think I was being too dismissive of these big Pioneers? I only really listened to them once, for 10 minutes!

Gordon:
Do you think I was being too dismissive of these big Pioneers? I only really listened to them once, for 10 minutes!

The CS-F and CS-G series aren't all that bad for what they are: Simply built multi-driver floorstanders. I've a pair of CS-F7001's that aren't bad. 12" ported woofer with cone mid and tweet. Lots of cabinet space creates decent lower bass. But this is The AVID Thread, so I don't want to crap it up!:D

Oh wow. How do they (Avids) sound? :scratch2:

Though I've only listened to 'em for a minute or two, to see if all the drivers were working, they do seem pretty dang good. I must say! They'll require further listening!
I'd say much better than the average crap you'd find at the usual garage sale or thrift.
The depth and amount of BASS was fairly surprising, considering the smallish woofer and columnar design of the cabinets.

Though I've never heard or even actually seen any in person, only in pictures. the AVID 101's look kinda of like DCM TimeWindows.

Back
Top Bottom