AVID thread

Does anyone have any spec information on the 10" in the Avid 103? One of mine is getting weak. Popping on certain volumes when the others are perfectly fine. I was curious what a suitable replacement might be..

Have you checked out flea bay, sometimes they pop up there. You might get the specs by tracking down your woofer via the model # on the back of the magnet and doing a google search.

They appear to be Rola manufactured 19th week of 1977. Theres other numbers on here as well 28352 and DR-121. Not sure about the others

Avid 80ab?????

Here now at a thrift and there are some Avid 80ab's here. They look to be in good shapeand intact woofers/tweeters. Cabinets, grilles and logos in good shape. Anyone have any experience with this model?

Edit: Wound up getting the Avids for sub-$20 and cleaned them up this evening. Turns out they look and sound pretty good after all.

Last edited:
Snagged a pair of Avid 102's at a thrift store this evening for $35.00. All drivers are original and the cabinets are in reasonable condition considering the age of the speakers. Sticky vinyl but since these are intended for the garage I probably won't put too much effort into aesthetics. I hooked them up and listened to them for a few minutes on my main system and they sound not half bad.

:thmbsp:

Ordered a couple of Solen 10uF caps to replace the originals - may as well have them sounding their best even in a garage environment. Thinking about redoing the cabs using some of the vinyl "wood" that Parts Express sells in the roll. Anyone have any experience with the stuff?

Last edited:
Here's my one and only pair of Avid's. I like their build quality but I'm dissapointed in the overall sound. The bass isn't what I expected and the mids are quite harsh given their dome mid. Certainly not on par with my ADS L810's. I hoping a recap this winter will cure some of the midrange harshness and make them a lot more listener friendly. Until then though they're not going to see much use:sigh:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 43
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Interesting about the different tweeters.

I just picked up a pair of 102s with the newer styled cabinet (and ugly vinyl trim), but mine have the original tweeters that were used in the earlier models before the cabinet change...must have been crossing over between tweeters about the time mine were made - which was 6/22/78.

The original dome tweeters were made by Phillips.
I didn't even have dome tweeters in my old AVID 100 speakers.
They used CTS phenolic ring tweeters.

Steve

The original dome tweeters were made by Phillips.
I didn't even have dome tweeters in my old AVID 100 speakers.
They used CTS phenolic ring tweeters.

Steve

The tweeters in mine look like this:

Attachments

• Avid_Model-102_Speakers_collage.jpg
    Avid_Model-102_Speakers_collage.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 113
Here's my one and only pair of Avid's. I like their build quality but I'm dissapointed in the overall sound. The bass isn't what I expected and the mids are quite harsh given their dome mid. Certainly not on par with my ADS L810's. I hoping a recap this winter will cure some of the midrange harshness and make them a lot more listener friendly. Until then though they're not going to see much use:sigh:

I don't think these are on par with the earlier ( 102 & 103's):no: The Phillips tweets and they were also fully enclosed which allowed for some very nice low frequency bass response close to Original Large Advents:music:

I have had few sets of the 100 series over the years but I agree with Gordon that the 110 has good sound if set up correct. Mine are up high on a shelf in my work building and that is a sweet spot for bass. Most people that hear them think the JBL on the floor are playing.:banana:
Ed

I have a pair of the 102 with the phillip T163 tweeter. They don't sound that bad at all. If I didn't have better speakers I would use them. I think these were budget speakers for those who could not afford the other brand name stuff that cost more.

I have a pair of the 102 with the phillip T163 tweeter. They don't sound that bad at all. If I didn't have better speakers I would use them. I think these were budget speakers for those who could not afford the other brand name stuff that cost more.

:no::no::no: IMHO they are not "Budget" Speakers. They were "Not well known under the radar" Speakers that have a big following, Hence this thread that's been going on for awhile (2007):yes::music:

Rhode Island-based AVID speakers never were produced in the kind of numbers that AR/Advent/KLH/Boston Acoustics/EPI speakers were.
Thus accounting for their 'under the radar' status.

Steve

So I picked up my 102s today...currently got them hooked up to a vintage Sansui 3300 - sounds nice. I'm curious to know what the rest of you are using to drive your Avid speakers. The former owner said they sounded very sweet hooked up to an old Marantz receiver...I may need to look for a new receiver to hook these puppies up to.

What is everyone else using? Any night and day different power sources you have tried?

Currently I'm using a 200 wpc Soundcraftsmen pro power to drive my 330's. Either the mosfets or the new room they're in smoothed out some of the midrange harshness. I still believe there's work to do inside the box though.

Picked these Avid 103s up tonight. Made in December 1975. Damn near mint.

Avid103_1.jpg

Avid103_2.jpg

Avid103_3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom