AVR vs Receiver & DAC

bottlerocket

I have a NAD 712 integrated receiver and want to start running Itunes through it. I plan to also get Apple TV. I've come down to 2 options, replace the NAD with an AVR or add a DAC. Any comments on which would be better?

Movies are important to me, but 5 channel is not. I have a 2 channel system now and don't want a lot of speakers. I do want very good sound for music.

Option 1) Itunes >>> Apple TV via Optical out >>> DAC via analog out >>>> NAD 712
Option 2) Itunes >>> Apple TV via Optical out >>> AVR

I am looking at the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic or maybe the Onkyo TXSR606.

Interested in which would provide better sound.

I would say if you are not at all interested in surround sound then spend your $ on the DAC and keep your receiver.

Bear in mind it's all depending on the source files. In other words, if your collection of music is mostly low bitrate lossy files, adding a DAC may not be much, if any, improvement over what ever analog outputs exist...and even then, somewhat assumes the analog output is pretty crappy.

I currently use a NAD 7155 with an MSB DAC I. Optical output from my sound card at 96KHz into the MSB. Sound is exceptional.

Im using a Squeezebox Duet feeding Behringer SRC2496 which is upsampling to 24/96 feeding the Adcom gear...it sounds awesome.

Back
Top Bottom