Awesome JBL Summit attic find and restoration

Should I apply a wax over the BLO I did, just to finish it off? I have Johnson’s and Briwax. I think the Briwax would be too harsh as it has toluene in it to thin the wax
Briwax has a natural that's toluene free. I use both SCJ and tinted Briwax on my veneer projects, waiting a bit for the oil finish to harden doesn't hurt. Tried and True has a good final finish made of linseed oil and beeswax. Never used but might be perfect for these JBLs.

There are spots that are slightly shinier than others even though I was careful to coat evenly
Rag with just a little SCJ wax residue and polish out the baffle. Don't think it'll be too sheeny.

On the finish (I use exactly the same BLO wet sand (800) on my L200s), I do not use wax, just oil it once a year or so.
(My parents had some Eames walnut chairs that they treated lovingly with johnsons paste wax for 40 years, and it ruined the veneer, clogging it up with build up. So I don't use paste wax on any wood/veneer furniture).
Others more knowledgeable than I may chip in, but that's my take on it, anyway.
BEAUTIFUL WORK, BTW!!!! Thanks for sharing.
PS. What did you use to replace the old foam in the mids with?

You know, that’s probably the last time I’ll need to read to not wax over the finish. I read mixed suggestions and I think I’ll skip out on the process and just coat it (I have a mason jar that says “JBL” on the lid with the mixed cocktail inside) with the oil mix every 6 months. The old adage for BLO and furniture makers is “once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year” so i guess I can only add to the beauty of the veneer. Thanks for the compliment!

I got these foam squares from somewhere, I’m thinking someone used them as packaging material when they shipped something to me. I read earlier in the thread the mention of grout sponges, these seem quite similar.

6F9AE34F-17D2-4944-BD88-49DE4B182A9E.jpeg

Dan

Briwax has a natural that's toluene free. I use both SCJ and tinted Briwax on my veneer projects, waiting a bit for the oil finish to harden doesn't hurt. Tried and True has a good final finish made of linseed oil and beeswax. Never used but might be perfect for these JBLs.

Rag with just a little SCJ wax residue and polish out the baffle. Don't think it'll be too sheeny.

You know, I never thought of using wax on the front baffle. That might work, I’ll try it on the back of the cabinet first. Thanks for the idea!

Thank you all for the kind compliments.
Dan

Fantastic job !! They will look great when finished !! I worked at a JBL service center back in the 70's and we used the boiled linseed oil on cabinets. I still have a can of it at home. I would never use any sort of wax on any of my JBL's, since I love the flat black contrast of the paint next to the flat wood finish of the cabinets. Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see them when you have completed this excellent undertaking !

So...are you going to invite the original owner over to debut them?!? Amazing transformation, congratulations!

JBL guys are really lighting a fire for my desire to acquire !
I think I'm going to have to get a Set or 2 in the near future if I can get so lucky to find something like these!..?... This is just wonderful to see those are absolutely stunningly beautiful!... Not just good work great phenomenal awesome work!...
Thanks for sharing the detailed restoration!

Well I got them to a listening state and I understand why people like these so much. They are just amazing. Still need to finish up the grills, some woodworking to do with those. Lenses for the mids are in the mail. 0000 steel wool took care of the front baffle sheen I was talking about earlier.

The ADS 570/2 stack is there to hold my test amp. Running them on what I would call a heavily modded AudioSource Amp 100. It can make these guys sing! By the way, if you happen to have one of these amps and want to totally transform it check out this thread by Tyger23 at PE. I love this little amp now. It sounds so good. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...rce-amp-100-into-a-real-amp-paying-it-forward

911DF084-F0CB-4F55-ABC5-C681FA6E358D.jpeg
E942DD9A-90AE-4A70-A8C5-591744A1A99A.jpeg
AAF54796-C04C-40F0-8ED5-045D2744CB3A.jpeg
BF10AD8A-3DAC-4A8F-9811-9E3F9000C1AC.jpeg

Dan

Spectacular! Look like you just pulled them from the boxes!
So now we NEED to hear them! Make us a video and post it in the video thread.
Cheers! Glenn

Well I got them to a listening state and I understand why people like these so much. They are just amazing. Still need to finish up the grills, some woodworking to do with those. Lenses for the mids are in the mail.
Well, they sure look nice to me. Well done!

Those are simply gorgeous, Dan. Very fine work, sir.

And, please, take GD70s advice to heart and post a video on his video thread. We want to hear them!

GeeDeeEmm

Spectacular! Look like you just pulled them from the boxes!
So now we NEED to hear them! Make us a video and post it in the video thread.
Cheers! Glenn

A-1 fantastic job. Your hard work paid off extremely well. They look brand new. Great Job !!!:bowdown:

Those are simply gorgeous, Dan. Very fine work, sir.

And, please, take GD70s advice to heart and post a video on his video thread. We want to hear them!

GeeDeeEmm

Just revisiting this thread, I didn’t see these requests. These had been at my fathers for a couple of years and now they’re back home. I’ll definitely get a video of them playing posted. Any requests on song?

Dan

Just revisiting this thread, I didn’t see these requests. These had been at my fathers for a couple of years and now they’re back home. I’ll definitely get a video of them playing posted. Any requests on song?

Dan
What ever you want, something that can really show how the speakers perform. Take a look in the video thread, there's hundreds of great tracks!

I think we also deserve a picture of the finished product - I want to see them with the lenses on :)

Amazing transformation, by the way. What a find. $100 for a really fun project that turned into a potential end-game speaker.

Back
Top Bottom