Awesome Small-Form Factor Amps

YES!

So that's the amp I ended up with after a pretty long search for the perfect (for me) mini amp...
When the Onkyo is in rotation, I go direct mode with the enhancement in the yellow mode. Currently got this tiny chip amp hooked up and it's keeping me intrigued.

Close up of the Volt+D in it's unique see though acrylic case. The capacitance multiplier mounted on top allows use of an inexpensive laptop power brick with no sound degradation. There's already one CM onboard so this one uses two but it sounds great with just one. It's a dual mono amp with all film caps in the signal path and represents the most advanced implementation of the Texas Instrument TPA31** chip I've encountered. This made in India amp comes one way and that's fully tricked out. I'd love to see a shoot out comparison between this amp and the big ticket amps shown in this thread. I know where I'd put my money.

P1010022 2.jpg

Dredging the thread back after a long nap....

Surprised no one posted this one already - the Pioneer SA-500, maybe the original small form factor integrated amp?? 10 wpc of sonic goodness that, with the right speakers, sounds more powerful than it is.

cbda-DSC_3088-0-1-1200x800.JPG

Rat Shack had some decent mini amps back in the day. Still got one of these somewhere in the stacks ...

s-l640.jpg

I have the same unit that I got as a youngin'. I think it puts out all of 1.5 watts a side and sounds okay at low volumes. The real surprises for me include the Realistic STA-19 and Optimus STA-20. They put out 5 wpc, but sound really nice to my ears, especially with the "EQ" switch engaged on the back for pairing with Minimus-7s.

Borrowed photo...

maxresdefault.jpg

Dredging the thread back after a long nap....

Surprised no one posted this one already - the Pioneer SA-500, maybe the original small form factor integrated amp?? 10 wpc of sonic goodness that, with the right speakers, sounds more powerful than it is.

cbda-DSC_3088-0-1-1200x800.JPG

I'll see your Pioneer 10watt amp and raise you a Superscope A-245 10watt amp! Also sounds surprisingly great with only 10 watts of sonic goodness.

super.png

I'll see your Pioneer 10watt amp and raise you a Superscope A-245 10watt amp! Also sounds surprisingly great with only 10 watts of sonic goodness.

View attachment 2117923
OMG, I used to have the amp just below that in the Superscope line. It was in my first system that I bought from an audio dealer when I was 13 years old. I quickly upgraded to a Marantz 2220B.

OMG, I used to have the amp just below that in the Superscope line. It was in my first system that I bought from an audio dealer when I was 13 years old. I quickly upgraded to a Marantz 2220B.

I still have mine. My Mom bought it new in 1973. Still sounds good, but it could use a recap and reveneer.

I see no mention of "classic" in the title, so ... My latest tuner is a Sony car head hooked up to a 12v power brick like used on modern LCD monitors. Hardest part really was building a custom antenna cable to match the radio's motorola connector to my "f" network.

Mostly got the Sony because it was a killer deal, especially compared to the cost of a rare home HDFM receiver. Total investment around $50, and it has no problems dragging in my favorite college station from 20+ miles away over a major metro. Not bad!

Took this pic before reading the manual. I assUre you, the display is a LOT dimmer now.

hd-radio-wgvu.jpg

Right now it's just the barebone chassis sitting on rubber feet. Plan is to eventually build a simple wood case for it, but no rush. Not worried about heat - I don't use the radio's amps (4x50) so it's just the tuner fed into my classic quad ...

I still have mine. My Mom bought it new in 1973. Still sounds good, but it could use a recap and reveneer.
I think mine could have used a reveneer a few days after I bought it...lol. Not the most robust build quality. Lots of fun and some of the first steps along this journey. Mine was 5 watts per channel if I remember correctly.

I've always enjoyed small amps. Started with the Mission and the Naim amps from Britain. I've never owed any but I do have a couple of small amps. I've also found bookshelf speakers to my liking. I'm currently looking at a pair of Audio Physic Step speakers.

The Mission Cyrus I first liked.

View attachment 702630

I still own a Mission Cyrus 1 amp, bought new in the UK mid 80’s, 25 Watts per channel, still sounds good, currently playing vinyl through the built in MM inputs at my youngest son’s place.

Started to post a picture of the Nelson Pass AC Amp but since it's DIY and could be assembled in Fred's garage I suppose it's not good enough for this thread. :)

I have one of these in storage... Remember ?

Had to open it up and disconnect something and/or redirect a circuit (forgotten the particulars)

s-l640.jpg

Back
Top Bottom