Aww Schiit...

tmccullough

You are who, who you are
Well, after listening to some albums last night through my modest Pioneers (headphones and SX-1080), I decided it was time to upgrade my game. After reading reviews, and wanting to support an American company, I purchased the Vali2 and Mani. While I don't dislike how things sound, I know a more robust amp is going to profoundly impact the sound when my Senn/Massdrop HD6XX get here in December.

I guess I'll just be patient, but will probably get to play with the Mani/Vali2 late this month.

Looking for a headphone amp on Saturday online I found a few of the products that Schiit sells,
after checking out their web-site I saw the company is very close to where I live and they have a
very nice display and listening room in Newhall CA.

I ended up getting the Asgard 2 Saturday afternoon, I am very impressed with their products and
they are very well built and the sound was more then I expected, made my headphones sound better
then I ever heard them.

I bought the Asgard for a headphone amp and then I find it works super nice as a pre-amp for
my power amps, Win Win.

The Vali2 is known to be a good pairing with the 6XX. I'm getting a pair too, will be pairing mine with a Magni 2 Uber.

I am amazed at how quickly my order went out. Should have them by Friday. Guess I know what I'll be doing for a bit on Friday!

I was tempted by the Little Dots as well. I'd have loved to get the Jotunheim with phono functionality, but I don't think I am willing to go that far just yet. Of course I'll probably get it a year from now, but whatever.

I bought the Vali first-gen on clearance last year. I like this Schiit!! It's a very nice sounding amp, tho I kind of wish I had waited for the Vali2, just so I could roll the tube. However, my pre-amp has a pair of 12AX7s, so if I want a different sound, I can roll those.

Let us know what you think, after giving the tube some time to burn in...

So, tonight I hooked up the Mani and Vali2. I didn't spend much time - maybe 30 minutes. I think my headphones are the rate-limiting step at this point. I definitely pick up background sounds that were previously obscured. I think next weekend I'll throw on some Floyd or maybe Beck's Morning Phase, and test drive it more. I did bump the gain up one hop.

The other night I listened a bit to music via the Chromecast and my phone through the SX-1080 and Vali2. It was definitely better than just through the Pioneer. More detailed. Maybe spent a half hour there. It's been a busy weekend with baseball and house work. Tomorrow is looking like a home office day, so maybe I'll put some more time in while I bang out quotes and follow ups.

I like what I'm hearing, but it's got me thinking... Is a vintage amp really in my best interest, or should I be scouting out something more modern despite the visual appeal of a gorgeous wooden case and aluminum? After all, it's all about the sound... or is it? I suppose that's a different thread for a different day!

Sounds like you are pretty happy with your purchase.

What headphones are you currently using?

I own several pieces of Schiit. I have the Valhalla 2 and a Mani/Modi 2 for traveling. I've had issues with their DACs failing on two units. My Mani Über will no longer pass a USB signal from my computer. I had another Mani just fail altogether. They are still under warranty, but I need to do my part and send them back. I love the Valhalla 2! It has an annoying low level hum until it is warmed up (no biggie, it's the tubes, I get that). Still, I'm wondering if there is something up with their products. Probably not, just my bad luck. I had a string of stuff go bad all within a couple of weeks and it may be that the power in my house was surging or something. I had a ribbon mic pre fry; a Voodoo pedal board power block cook to death; and then the two Manis went kaput. Back to the topic.

I have a pair of Byerdynamic DT880 600 ohm headphones that I use for mixing and mastering. They are power hungry cans to say the least, but the thinner wire used in the voice coil really does improve the sound and lower the distortion--just like some phono carts. Plus, they still have to make them in Germany because of the precision required in working with wire that is 1/2 the thickness of a human hair, and everyone knows that the Germans make good stuff. So the Valhalla 2 seems to make those 880's sing. Here's the thing. They actually sound better on the cheap little Modi. No idea why. Maybe it's my bad taste in audio or something. My new Byer DT1990's are the exact opposite. Go figure.

vince.jpg

I am not familiar with the Pangea HP201, but I have the Modi2 Multibit and Valhalla 2, and they sound quite good with my HD600s. Crisp, clear. My sources are either my laptop through USB or raspberry pi with a hifiberry dac+ through coaxial digital.

Been a satisfied Lyr owner for years. Also have a Sys. Very interested in the Sol. Will make the trip to Newhall to check it out when available.

I am not familiar with the Pangea HP201, but I have the Modi2 Multibit and Valhalla 2, and they sound quite good with my HD600s. Crisp, clear. My sources are either my laptop through USB or raspberry pi with a hifiberry dac+ through coaxial digital.
Thanks. looks like I have found my Christmas present for this year.:)

Back
Top Bottom