AXPONA 2016

There always seems to be one recording that gets overplayed each year. You're sick of it by the 3rd room, and by the end of the show you would willingly strangle every single person involved in its production.

I've never attended AXPONA, but I'm an RMAF regular. Ya, you get tired of the female vocals, but more and more rooms are moving toward having a music server with a large selection available, and letting the listener use a tablet to choose what they want. I like that setup because it means I can usually find something I actually like while letting the exhibitor stick to things they know should sound good on their gear. It's a nice compromise between "everything goes" (let me tell you about the time I got stuck following the same guy from room to room, and his love of compressed German industrial music) and "my way or the highway," where the exhibitor plays the exact same dull tracks over and over again at a set volume with no input from the audience.

That's why I always loved AK Fests. Everyone played all sorts of music. Not just the audiophool stuff which drives me nuts. Had my share of shows so no more for me thank you.

What I wouldn't do for a real Chicago dawg. Not this coney crap served up in Michigan :(

I might drive up to visit my kids in town and then get together with same of my old horn pals and go to the show and get over to Gene and Jude's too (screw these east coast Sabrettes hot dogs we get done here). Or 35th St. Red Hots over by Sox Park. Maybe I'll take my camper and stay in a campground out by Joliet.

35th St. Red Hots

Also, the Midwest really needs a good show ...

Indeed.

Does anyone remember the last time the Detroit area had an audio show of that type, where the major manufacturers turned up? For me, it goes back to late 70s, maybe 1980. I attended one at that hotel near Northland Mall. Pretty sure it was the year MoFi was founded, as I ended up buying the John Klemmer Touch LP at the show (still have it) and there was a big fuss over their records. After that, perhaps the follwing year, there was a show at Cobo Hall in the various meeting rooms. Then I don't recall any past that. Those were the last shows I attended.

I always wondered how big RMAF was. Anywhere near the size of what we'll see at AXPONA? That's one of those shows I would visit if I were in the area, but would not make a special trip.

Indeed.

Does anyone remember the last time the Detroit area had an audio show of that type, where the major manufacturers turned up? For me, it goes back to late 70s, maybe 1980. I attended one at that hotel near Northland Mall. Pretty sure it was the year MoFi was founded, as I ended up buying the John Klemmer Touch LP at the show (still have it) and there was a big fuss over their records. After that, perhaps the follwing year, there was a show at Cobo Hall in the various meeting rooms. Then I don't recall any past that. Those were the last shows I attended.

I always wondered how big RMAF was. Anywhere near the size of what we'll see at AXPONA? That's one of those shows I would visit if I were in the area, but would not make a special trip.

I like to think we did a pretty good "smaller" show here in Michigan. Had some pretty big names show up to :)

Grumpy

I like to think we did a pretty good "smaller" show here in Michigan. Had some pretty big names show up to :)

I regret not knowing about them until just a couple of years ago. Which with my typical luck, was the year after the last AK Fest took place. :(

What I wouldn't do for a real Chicago dawg. Not this coney crap served up in Michigan :(

Ha ha! I live about 5 minutes from SuperDawg and hardly ever go; it's one of those "it's always gonna be there, I'll go tomorrow" scenarios.
(EDIT: I don't really think SuperDawg is all that great, I prefer the places like Duff's or this little joint called 'Natalies' in Norwood).

Ha ha! I live about 5 minutes from SuperDawg and hardly ever go; it's one of those "it's always gonna be there, I'll go tomorrow" scenarios.
(EDIT: I don't really think SuperDawg is all that great, I prefer the places like Duff's or this little joint called 'Natalies' in Norwood).

Being born an raised in Chicago I can say I never ate at many of the "popular" dog places. My favs were always the little corner joints where I got a combo of 2 dogs, fries and a pop for a couple bucks.

So, is anyone on for some drinking and debauching, or at least meeting up for a few minutes during the show, or over lunch? I'm in for 2-1/2 days (leaving 2-ish on Sunday), and have most of Saturday free, when I suspect most of us will be at the show.

Indeed. Is anyone planning on meeting up at or after the show? Waving as we pass in the hallowed halls of the Westin?

Or, just coming back here with pics of our favorites to share? :D

I'm driving in Thursday early (if work schedule allows), and am probably going to a few of the area record stores.

That might work. If I'm late or a no-show, I'm probably stuck at a record store somewhere. :D I'm staying about nine miles away at another hotel chain (nice room, way less expensive, free parking...what's not to like? ;) ).

I was just looking over some of the seminars. Looks like a good lineup! I do want to get to the Van den Hul seminar, and one of Mikey's turntable setup sessions. There are a couple Saturday early afternoon that I'll be taking in as well.

http://www.axpona.com/sessions_byTrack.asp

FWIW, I'm booked at the Doubletree a few miles away from the Westin. They might still have rooms available if anyone is thinking of going on short notice.

My plan is to drive in Thursday morning, grab lunch, then hit a few record stores in the afternoon (Dusty Groove in particular, as they have a lot of rarities that interest me) and then dinner with my buddy who lives nearby.

Are we thinking of meeting up somewhere? I don't know who will arrive by Thursday evening but a meet 'n' greet is possible at the Westin, or elsewhere nearby.

Last call--I take it there's not much interest in doing an AK mini-meet at AXPONA? ;) My availability is a maybe for Thursday after dinner, but a definite "yes" for Saturday after the show. They're having live music in the evening, I know, but I'll have had enough of crowds and the Westin by 5pm I'm sure.

Oh yeah, that's this weekend isn't it. Maybe I'll drive over and have a look.

Can't hurt. ;)

I fear the Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds booths, though. :D

Hey all. Shameless plug here. If any of you are also members over at Head-fi, the headphone enthusiast site, I put together a hang on saturday afternoon of the expo. PM me and I'll give you the deets.

Back
Top Bottom