AXPONA Chicago April 21-23, 2017 - Who's going?

Went today. Parking was diverted to a parking deck three blocks away. But, was free. Shuttle buses between. Just takes time off seeing show.
Did not hear any jazz in any rooms. Take it or leave it. A lot of the music made me leave quickly. Sales people do like to talk and talk and talk. My first attendance. Nice systems. Wilson Alex speaker were phenomenal at $110k.

Last edited:
I didn't get to see as much as I had hoped the first day, but several good "revisit for sure" rooms and a few "skip it" duds.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

MBL, Classic Audio Reproductions good as always.

I liked the Border Patrol/ Volti room. Bit boomy bass but I think it was the room. I liked the PP 300B amp

Destination Audio - big horns like Klipsch Jubilee, SET 45 amps; Lampizator? Really nice tho his digital kept crapping out, too bad. Hopefully straightened out now.

Lots of Mark Levinson amps, and I really really really don't like Levinson amps.

Holm Audio (suburban dealer) did a demo on a budget system, Rogue Audio integrated tube amp and smaller Tannoy dual concentrics. Pretty god sound for comparatively small $

Better mix of music than the last couple of years. Actually a bit of classical and jazz. Still a lot of the usual tho.

IMG_8015.JPG IMG_8016.JPG IMG_8017.JPG IMG_8018.JPG IMG_8019.JPG IMG_8011.JPG IMG_8012.JPG IMG_8013.JPG IMG_8014.JPG

Had a great time at the show today. Looking forward to tomorrow although sadly I will only be there in the morning tomorrow and I only made about half the rooms today.

I did hear some very very good stuff and some things that were disappointing. It was great to have TEN rooms with tape decks! Half of them were even playing tape.

No real further "report" but I did take a few pics.

You guys really should give the Revel Performa 3's a listen.

I don't see how anyone could listen to those speakers with the Levinson's and say they don't like them.

You need to make sure that you hear them in the 90's db range so ask him to turn them up, no distortion even at high levels.

The guy that is there is the designer.

If you give that system an honest listen and say they don't sound great I will be very surprised.

IMG_2992.JPG

http://revelspeakers.com/revel-performa3.html

Last edited:
I only saw a couple rooms with bass traps or wall panels. Motel rooms could have been helped by them.

MBL, Classic Audio Reproductions good as always.

I liked the Border Patrol/ Volti room. Bit boomy bass but I think it was the room. I liked the PP 300B amp

Destination Audio - big horns like Klipsch Jubilee, SET 45 amps; Lampizator? Really nice tho his digital kept crapping out, too bad. Hopefully straightened out now.

Lots of Mark Levinson amps, and I really really really don't like Levinson amps.

Holm Audio (suburban dealer) did a demo on a budget system, Rogue Audio integrated tube amp and smaller Tannoy dual concentrics. Pretty god sound for comparatively small $

Better mix of music than the last couple of years. Actually a bit of classical and jazz. Still a lot of the usual tho.

Was looking forward to hearing the Rogue Magnum tube amp. The music choice drove us out. Maybe should have stuck around longer. It did sound good.

The Rogue was good, particularly for the price

One other comment I'll make - I usually avoid the high-end "usual suspects". Made it a point to visit a few this year. They were all pleasant, checked all the boxes, but were all pretty much the same kettle of fish. Pick your favorite "look", plunk down your $ and get a generic high-end sound.

I'm "photoblogging" some of my favorites: http://instagram.com/rekkidcollector

Some highlights for me--the room (can't remember which) with the Martin Logan Renaissance. Here's the deal, though--I listened to the Martin Logan Neolith (finally!), but I did not like the McIntosh monoblocks they were driving them with--I find their amps to be harsh. Was it the speakers? No. I heard the Renaissance last year in essentially the same setup, same monoblocks, and they sounded just as harsh. (Did I say I don't like McIntosh?) The Renaissance in the alternate room this year sounded as smooth and detailed as I remember planar speakers to be, so they are still on my short list. But, back to the Neolith demo. The demo music wasn't so great (and a retread of last year's music), and they were actually blaring "The Gates of Kiev" from Pictures at an Exhibition at an absurdly loud level, and I did complain about it. That kind of behavior will not win over any potential customers.

Can't say many of the cone speaker systems are to my liking. The ones I really liked last year were the ProAc Response D48R; this year, ProMusica instead set up the Response D30SR. Maybe it was the room or the speakers, but I did not like them nearly as much. The room last year was on the lower level, longer and a bit narrower. This year's was in a standard hotel room.

Magneplanars? They were OK, but lacking in bass. And part of that was the room, again.

HSU Research was in attendance--I liked the subs (which they are known for).

One of the most innovative items was the optical cartridge from DS Audio. Rather than a moving magnet/coil/iron, the cartridge uses an LED, a photocell and a shutter mounted to the cantilever which varies the amount of light hitting the photocell, creating the electrical signal. The tracking was phenomenal, since the moving mass is very low (no weight of coils, magnets or iron on the cantilever). It comes with a component which acts as the phono stage, RIAA EQ (custom, since the response curve of the optical setup is different than traditional carts), and power source for the LED.

And the Sugar Cube...I was skeptical until I heard it. I've used professional click/pop removal in software for years, and I have to say the abilities of their Sugar Cube are incredible. (For those not familiar, the Sugar Cube cleans up clicks and pops, and also retrieves metadata from their server with the album and artist, track listing and album cover photo. When recording the needle drops, it will separate the files appropriately. The click/pop removal can also clean up existing needle drops after the fact, or work in real time while playing back vinyl.)

We ran out of time and did not get to see ELAC. But, I did see the new ELAC Miracord turntable in the Music Direct room.

One "exclusive" for the day--being the first group in the Mobile Fidelity room, we got to hear a handful of test pressings (the Bill Evans Village Vanguard being released in the "One Step" series was better than I ever heard it), but also were told that the next two One Step titles will be Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water, and Donald Fagen's The Nightfly.

There were some disappointments of course but for the most part, I enjoyed a lot of the show today. Tomorrow I have to go back and see what I missed, and pay a second visit to a handful of rooms.

Has anyone been in the Acoustic Zen room # 514? They have the Crescendo Mark II Speaker, the first iteration was a favorite of mine at Axpona.

Additionally, Robert Lee, the owner, always seemed to play music that was out of the ordinary and interesting.

Guess I missed the jazz. My first show. Was surprised at seeing a lot of Turntables.
First time I've seen some of the really over the top, IMO, systems. And the Red sprung shelf audio racks on the room with the big Wilson speakers.
An aviation engineer I was with checked out the guts of some high end amps. Surprised to see electrolitic caps and no military grade components. Maybe the money is instead spent on external bling.

Last edited:
Has anyone been in the Acoustic Zen room # 514? They have the Crescendo Mark II Speaker, the first iteration was a favorite of mine at Axpona.

Additionally, Robert Lee, the owner, always seemed to play music that was out of the ordinary and interesting.

Yes, Mr.Lee is here and playing interesting music in the Crescendos. I'm going to give his room a re-visit today. Didn't note the gear yesterday.

Well, had dinner with Don. Was a goog time.

For me, so far, the best sound was the high end Paradigms, followed by the Ushers. The jazz concert was excellent kast night.

Yes, very goog kast night. :D

My blanket observation was how bad the totally empty, untreated rooms could sound. (Not to be critical or negative, just an observation.) Rooms with even a modicum of effort put in to the room itself, the results were quickly apparent. No surprise...

I couple more shots I took today...two VERY different speakers that both sounded good...

IMG_8022.JPG IMG_8023.JPG

I couple more shots I took today...two VERY different speakers that both sounded good...

View attachment 914696

Funny, I was in that room for a bit yesterday. I thought I would not like it (I tend not to care for horns, sorry to say), but I was duly impressed. Superb driver integration, and another local friend who heard them at a different time thought the same thing. Whatever they're doing, they seem to have got it right!

Man I don't like horns either but when the planets align they are very nice.

People need to realize that everyone is an individual who hear things a bit differently.

IMG_3002.JPG

Back
Top Bottom