B@K AVR 507 any info or advice on higher end HT setup

superdog

AK Member
I picked this up on ebay and I have been looking at the online manual I could still use some help in laymans terms on getting this setup.I got it to play in two channel sound although one side seems a bit louder than the other.Also i can't get the remote volume to work.Will connecting this to my tv solve whatever issues I have via info.I have never setup a HT receiver for anything other than 2 channel sound and this unit is quite complex if you ask me.Any info advice or comments will help.B@K.jpg

I picked this up on ebay and I have been looking at the online manual I could still use some help in laymans terms on getting this setup.I got it to play in two channel sound although one side seems a bit louder than the other.Also i can't get the remote volume to work.Will connecting this to my tv solve whatever issues I have via info.I have never setup a HT receiver for anything other than 2 channel sound and this unit is quite complex if you ask me.Any info advice or comments will help.View attachment 881133
Sounds like possibly one channels level is set higher than the other. Look up the B&K avr 507 manual online and look up how to adjust the channel levels and check to see if both are set evenly. Hope this helps.

Sounds like possibly one channels level is set higher than the other. Look up the B&K avr 507 manual online and look up how to adjust the channel levels and check to see if both are set evenly. Hope this helps.
I'm going to factor
y reset it first and hope it evens out.i will get to the osd eventually.Thanks.
Thanks.

Hope you got the software. or at least the manual.
No software but did get the manual online.I really just want to get this back to a factory setting.I eventually plan on the 5.1 but for now I want to only explore how this sounds for music without the advanced settings.There is not much on the remote but it will change the function but will not control the volume.

I know B & K went out of business, ATI bought the name. B&K was local Buffalo, very good sounding pieces. The reference I found for you was from 2003, hope you can find some help. I run an Adcom GTP-600, very good 2 channel, 5 channel, ok HT. Just having fun with the L200t3's I bought last month.

I looked at the pic of the back of the amp...........HDMI was introduced for a reason.

Yes, to burn up and render a unit worthless.
I chop up more units with dead HDMI than any other type.

Well, for some of us they're worthless without it so one takes their chances anyway. :)

Onkyo was fairly notorious for HDMI problems for some years, others seemed not so much.

The Yamaha receiver I bought from you is approaching 11 years old and still working fine; HDMI and all. That's about 10 years more than many people here give credit for with this sort of gear. ;)

Yes, to burn up and render a unit worthless.
I chop up more units with dead HDMI than any other type.

Give me a break. I have a 5 year old Sony (gasp) STR 520 that gets used everyday and works perfectly. The OPs non HDMI unit seems to be having trouble so there goes your theory. HDMI is here to stay for quite a while, it simply has taken over.

Actually it's not having trouble.I'm just having trouble in the learning of this unit but it's coming along.A factory reset brought the right channel which was a bit lower right back.I seek these totl avrs out for their amp sections which I hear as clean and the flexibility they offer plus the remote.They bring out the full potential of my vintage speakers.Music first,HT a distant second are intentions.Not interested in hdmi at this point.Now the remote is where my next problem lies.It will change the function but not the volume.

Actually it's not having trouble.I'm just having trouble in the learning of this unit but it's coming along.A factory reset brought the right channel which was a bit lower right back.I seek these totl avrs out for their amp sections which I hear as clean and the flexibility they offer plus the remote.They bring out the full potential of my vintage speakers.Music first,HT a distant second are intentions.Not interested in hdmi at this point.Now the remote is where my next problem lies.It will change the function but not the volume.

Ahhhh good then! I am the opposite. I use vintage amps and modern speakers for my two channel setups. My Sony (STR 520 7.1) that is 5 years old is still going strong and has both 2 and 2.1 modes that I use when I want music in the front room. It actually sounds pretty good in two channel mode and with 90 RMS has plenty of power. Since I have two Playstations DVD and Roku and the Xfinity box hooked up to it HDMI is the best and only way to do things. Using the amp you bought for two channel is easy to set up and use, but for modern HT and other items, it is very outdated.

I'm with you on the hdmi as the only way to go for dvd and PS4.One of the reasons I like these older and yes outdated AVRs is for the amplifier section and these units can be had quite cheap considering what they went for new. I had one other question for anyone really is since I am not seeing a B speaker option will the surround speaker option provide the same function?

A B&K 507 is a real piece of technical sophistication. I didn't like them because programming them could be quite an exercise in discipline and to change one setting might force you to go through five layers of programing to change a parameter. Yamaha, Marantz, Denon , and Mcintosh the simplest. . I did like the configuration options. I really like the 3.1 mode. They had options only Lexicon could match. The surround modes were much more natural than Yamaha and Denon for instance. But you have to find some one out there that can help you step by step. Remotes are available from Universal remote that will operate the 507. I don't remember the model number. The units are very sensitive to heat and need to be cooled and best kept cool to the touch. We had to return at least a dozen units to the factory for repair as they felt dealers were in capable under warranty. Even when all issues were listed , not once were the units returned fully operational when returned and had to be returned for further repair, which didn't make customers happy. Ex changes were made in some cases. The amps and separate stereo preamps had zero issues. The 507 on the other hand was about a 50/50 split. After few years we had to give up the line. Yamaha, Marantz, and Sony ES were are popular lines. Maybe some one can help you ought. That all said they were great sounding units that outperformed the Japanese units. Combined with M&K speakers resulted in a state of the art system. Another choice I preferred over Oriental units was NAD. But here again its very important to keep NAD units cool to the touch for long term operation. Japanese take abuse better it seems. I'm a keep simple stupid guy and prefer a unit that doesn't depend on a remote control. So being a Mcintosh owner since the 60's I'm a Mcintosh owner today. Fortunately the factory is still in business and folks like Audio Classics are here to help us out. If B&K had believed in service after the sale like Mac they might still be in business.

I used to own the B&K 507s2 and although I had the oem remote I always used my Harmony remote, it controls all my gear to this day very easy to use and mirrors all functions of the device it controls. If I remember correctly it does have a zone 2 so you can control speakers in a separate room if desired, if that's what you were asking in your last post.

In the past 2 yrs I have been experimenting with the so called Uber receivers or Mega Receivers to use as my main amps and see if they were as good, better or worse than the Seperates I use. I started with a Pioneer elite sc 09, great for home theater not so great with 2 channel listening imo. Next I purchased a Yamaha rxz 9, powerhouse of a receiver much better sound with 2ch although a bit bright and great with home theater. Next was the B&K 507s2 and this was the best for 2ch Compared to my Krell kav 300 this was a warmer sounding amp but clean and powerful with the same headroom as the Krell setup. I lived with the B&K for awhile until I cane across an Onkyo TX-nr1000 and was impressed by its build quality especially internally. I read mixed reviews about it but figured I'd take my chance since it was a local purchase a very good price and the guy only used it a total of approximately 40 hrs (when I picked it up the new condition..add me believe it was barely used). Got it home hooked it up, reset everything back to factory flat and gave it a listen. I've never heard an Onkyo nor have I ever taken one very seriously (there receivers that is). Well let's just say I was extremely impressed with what I was hearing, the sound was the closest to my Krells with as much headroom tons of power as well. I used my oppo bdp 105d for a preamp btw and had a very good setup that would compete with some pricey setups.

I said all that to say that it is possible to get decent sound out of what I consider the last good high end receivers made and there very affordable now as well. Oh and btw I use the analog outputs on my oppo to the multichannel inputs on the onkyo set the oppo to LPCM and let it do all the Lossless Dolby True HD DTS HD sound and it's very impressive all around. Good luck and if you need any help feel free to PM me.

I'm with you on the hdmi as the only way to go for dvd and PS4.One of the reasons I like these older and yes outdated AVRs is for the amplifier section and these units can be had quite cheap considering what they went for new. I had one other question for anyone really is since I am not seeing a B speaker option will the surround speaker option provide the same function?

Not unless the unit has a "zone" option, the surround wont work like a B setting. Modern mid range and up have zones.

Not unless the unit has a "zone" option, the surround wont work like a B setting. Modern mid range and up have zones.
This receiver does have a zone 2 and it was a $3500 receiver when new and at 150wpc that isn't inflated like most receivers today it is more than capable of driving multiple speakers in different rooms as well as in a 2ch only setup with large inefficient speakers.

Back
Top Bottom