B&W Owners Thread

wgb113

Can't believe there isn't one of these already!
I've got a line on a pair of N805s that I've longed for since I first heard a pair 20 years ago. They'll be my second go-around with B&W having had a pair of DM601s2 paired with an NAD C320 about 15 years ago. They'll be supplanting a pair of KEF LS50s that I've loved and enjoyed for the past 2-1/2 years (assuming I like them better once I bring them home.)

So what other AKers have B&W speakers out there?

Bill

Yeah, I've had to integrate subs with the KEFs so it'll just be a matter of dialing them in with the B&Ws which go a little lower.

I prefer the sound of a good two-way bookshelf speaker + subs over semi-full-range towers because you're able to place both optimally rather than compromise. With careful placement and the help of good measurements you get a top-to-bottom blend that can't be beat.

Bill

Just signed up (been lurking for years). I've been a fan of B&W since their earliest days (was born close to their facility in Meadow Road, Worthing). Remember being amazed at the sound produced by a system, owned by the father of a friend, who replaced Quad ESL's with DM2 Mk 1's ("loved the Quad but these sound better in this room") and I went to their demo room a number of times. Could never afford their stuff back then (still can't!), but thanks to the internet am now the proud owner of several different old sets, which I change out from time to time. Currently listening to DM6's in my man cave. Absolute favorites but banned from public view by higher authority. Recently had DM5's running in the living room with an Acoustitune sub. Very satisfying. Particularly fond of the the DM2's (both iterations) and the DM23.

I have a pair of DM5's, and a pair of DM12's. I wouldn't part with the 5's. The 12's are very nice and delicate, with great detail, but need mucho power, (I drive them with
85wpc, but it's not enough).

My home theater is all B&W. 600 towers and center channel series 3. Surrounds are the LM1 but I would love to find a pair of 600 or 601 S3's

The towers are really nice sounding speakers. I've also owned 601 S3 before I decided to go with a B&W ht. I wish I would have kept them. The V201 was another speakers that sounded nice. I sold it when I bought the 601's

Headphones. I own the C5 and P7. I owned and sold a pair of P3's but replaced with the 7's.

I've always been wanted to own a pair of 805's. Any version. I like them all.

Ive got a pair of CDM-1SE bookshelf speakers that I bought new in 98. I heard the higher end Nautilus series at the store I bought mine at. Wish I could have afforded them, for sure! Really sweet sounding tweeters and overall awesome rating!

I love my cdm-1se, zero problems in 18 years. I have cranked them to scary loudness. I would have never guessed they could play nearly that loud (Forte Model 3 amp 200W, speakers are 120W). I prefer to run the b&w's with a sub or two as they are only rated down to 58Hz.
Nice!

Mine are CDM-1NTs for L&R, then a CDM-CSE center (it just fit my center space, the 1NT center was too tall).

Got these all used of the 'gon. Working great.

Drive the bookies with a Musical Fidelity A5 int amp (dual mono 250W/channel; 8-ohms). I've integrated in an Epik Valor 15" sealed sub as well for the bass extension.

Sonic goodness :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I have a pair of 683 towers as my mains, as well as the HTM1 center and a pair of DS3
surrounds. I run the 683 full range and have a Velodyne SPL-1200R crossed around 50Hz. I absolutely love the sound of the 683. When I went shopping back in 07, I listened to many different speakers zeroing in on the CM7. To me a full bodied clear accurate midrange is the most important characteristic, and I felt the fst midrange driver on the CM7 produced some of the sweetest midrange I had ever heard. The CM7 was more laid back than the 703 which I found too bright. The day I went to by my CM 5 speaker system, the store got the new 6xx series in, and there was the 683 with it's fst in all it's glory. I had them dragged in and set up next to the CM7, and after an extensive session, the 683 came home! They LOVE power, I have them bi-amped using 4 discrete channels of my LPA-1, and they sing!! Being in the living room with the TV, I don't get to use them for music as often as I wish.

I have two pairs of dm601 s2's in my tv and desktop systems and a pair of dm 301 in my woodshop. I like their smaller speakers, they are nice to listen to and fairly efficient.

Since this is a B&W thread, I will ask my question here. I bought my 602s in 2001. Around 2006 I was looking to upgrade. Themodel I looked at were bookshelfs, as well, but had the nautilus tweeter on the top. I think they were about $1200-$1500 range, but I can't remember what series they were. Does anyone have any idea what model I may have been looking at ?

Was the full tube exposed or just partial? If it was the full tube it was likely the Nautilus 800 "S" series (2nd gen Nautilus). If it was only partially exposed it was the 700 series most likely.

IMG_20140524_123815.jpg My Origional DM4's are being used by my Son. I currently have a pair of CDM7-NT's, an AWS610XP, a pair of 685's, and an HTM62 that make up my 2 / 5.1 system. Love my B&W's

Last edited:
Here's my modest setup with the B&W CDM1-NTs
home-theater-4.JPG

I have three pairs of B&W speakers. The first pair I bought were the DM330 I picked up the pair at the Navy Exchange in Iceland for $210.00 they were good with the Yamaha C60 and M60 combo I had at the time. I later found the best match for them was with the Sherwood S-5000II tube amp they had a synergy that was great! My next pair was DM602 S2 I didn't like these as much as the DM330. I recently picked up a pair of used DM110 that I haven't tried yet.

I just got a pair of B&W DM570 two months ago on CL for $225. They are paired with my Mac stuff in my office and sound very nice. Should I investigate a re-cap for them?

Wow, congratulations on the 800's. I would love to hear a pair.

I recently picked up a pair of 801M's series II. They very much live up to their reputation and sound fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom