B2 vfets 2sj26 & 2sk76

B2 VFETs & 2SK76

No reflection on the professors of unobtainium in relation to Yamaha VFETSs.
Of course this unobtainium has been the case for many years from Yamaha ,but the availability of NOS really does pop up from time to time.
Interesting that this is not the first time I’ve seen the 2SK76 and 2SJ26 selling on the internet in recent years and from memory they were the “A” version. I can’t remember the cost but I think it was about $40 a VFET- Yamaha branded. They were not matched pair, but if you were caught short for a single VFET, and you were up and running
For to buy a matched pair of the 2SJ26A and the 2SK76A (and they were only sold in matched pairs) were ex Japan of over $350 pair in the early 80’s.
The 2SJ26 and 2SK76 are not the higher spec rated “A” version but at $20 a matched pair it would have to be the buy of the century
Almost too good to be true.

B2 Output VFETs

Vintage has often stated and I fully agree this is one of the best sounding amps of all time, so if you have an output failure, hunt around to find your semiconductors , the B2 is too good to be lying around in pieces, get it going and enjoy the listening pleasure that only a B2 can deliver

B2 VFETs

Vintage I'm more than interested.

The Yamaha VFET has now become a legend but it wasn’t always that way, when the B2 was being phased out, to its successor the M2 , many audiophiles were caught up in a power output race and saw powerful amplifiers as a better alternative giving little thought of what they were going to lose
B2 owners by and large didn’t understand or care how the VFET translated into its special sound.
Matching the B2 to a very good speaker system bought out the full design premise of the VFET

And as a by note on the Yamaha/Sony VFETs, and others may have seen this to, was a static collection of VFETs ,Yamaha B1, B2 and Sony types all housed in glass partitioned display cases.
. It would appear that this Guy got into putting this together earlier
when there was a decent supply of these parts
He is Japanese collector I believe.
What a display to have!

Vintage I'm more than interested.

We seem to be some of the only few with any real interest of late; back about 5 years ago there was lots of interest here at AK in the different V-FET amps out there but it's faded away again over the last few years. (Yamaha B-2 where did you go? :D)

As you said, I don't think too many people truly understand and appreciate what V-FET's are and added to that there's the unobtainiumness of spare parts that scares people away from giving them serious consideration.

attachment.php

The Yamaha VFET has now become a legend but it wasn’t always that way, when the B2 was being phased out, to its successor the M2 ,

The M-2 is a fine piece of work and does have a lot to offer. If all of my V-FET's suddenly decided to go south :yikes: and I couldn't find another, the M-2 would be an amp I'd be interested in provided it was still working with all of the original transistors; the Toshiba outputs used in it are some of the best. :thmbsp:

many audiophiles were caught up in a power output race and saw powerful amplifiers as a better alternative giving little thought of what they were going to lose,

Even today I don't think very much has changed.

attachment.php

B2 owners by and large didn’t understand or care how the VFET translated into its special sound.

Even today I don't think very much has changed.

Matching the B2 to a very good speaker system bought out the full design premise of the VFET

As it still does today.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks to people like Nelson Pass there does seem to be some renewed interest in these wonderful devices.

And as a by note on the Yamaha/Sony VFETs, and others may have seen this to, was a static collection of VFETs ,Yamaha B1, B2 and Sony types all housed in glass partitioned display cases. It would appear that this Guy got into putting this together earlier when there was a decent supply of these parts. He is Japanese collector I believe. What a display to have!

Sounds interesting. Is there a link you can post?

Last edited:
My Soliloquy 6.5 speakers have been hooked up to many different amps over the years. Both Tube and SS. Since connected to my B-2, the other amps have been in the closet. :music:

B2 vets

The M2 , yes I knew the power race was on, the new selling point was fluroscan meters and all the glitz. Yamaha really had to up the anti to win B2 purchasers over, double the output over the B2 that would push the NS1000 to its limits. I knew first hand that B2 owners didn’t care about the VFETs technology because they were being traded in on the newer model ( Yamaha must have taken a hit when they manufactured the B2 even though it just finished production about 1980 the price of 4x sets of VFETs added up close to the retail purchase price of the complete B2)
I weighed in with the purchase of a M2, and to be quite honest it did push the Yamaha NS2000 to unbelievable sound levels
And for sometime I thought that was good, and from a technician’s point of view it was a good talking point.
Never far from my mind was the B2 with purity of sound that the M2 couldn’t match.

Thankyou, I’ll look for the link Vintage

My Soliloquy 6.5 speakers have been hooked up to many different amps over the years. Both Tube and SS. Since connected to my B-2, the other amps have been in the closet. :music:

In the past, every so often I'd rotate in another amp just for fun ... but it wouldn't take long before the B-2 was back in place. :yes:

Those photos and that Yamaha poster very Interesting, I haven't see that.
Vintage you are a real collector!

The 2SK77 Poster, do you have that in more detail ?

I'm sure sure many will enjoy the history.

Never far from my mind was the B2 with purity of sound that the M2 couldn’t match.

Agree. I do like the M-2. It is clean and powerful. The B-2 is simply a much more engaging amp. The mid-range on the B-2 is very tube like. The lows and highs are extended but remain very musical. The highs are not fatiguing and the lows allow a lot of musical content to come through.

To me, and on my Soliloquy 6.5 speakers, the B-2 combines the best of both the SS and tube worlds.

Stoutblock those Soliloquy 6.5 speakers look like a decent speaker system, You had a an M2 in that system at one point,
does the B2 stands proud in your system now?

Agree. I do like the M-2. It is clean and powerful. The B-2 is simply a much more engaging amp. The mid-range on the B-2 is very tube like. The lows and highs are extended but remain very musical. The highs are not fatiguing and the lows allow a lot of musical content to come through.

To me, and on my Soliloquy 6.5 speakers, the B-2 combines the best of both the SS and tube worlds.

I fully agree to that stoutblock

I had a distinct advantage over a lot of now new B2 owners in that I auditioned the B2 new with NS1000’s on the showroom floor before I purchased. Although they are somewhat of a fraction of the new price now these potential purchasers are buying these B2’s on hear say and reports on forums like this, and as Vintage has said some have been scared off purchasing a B2 by unobtainium VFETs

Stoutblock those Soliloquy 6.5 speakers look like a decent speaker system, You had a an M2 in that system at one point,
does the B2 stands proud in your system now?

IIRC stout has/had 2 M-2's that the B-2 is displacing; truly a testament as to the goodness of the B-2. :thmbsp:

attachment.php

Last edited:
yep, I had two M-2s for a while but was way more power than I needed. I was satisfied with running them until i heard the B-2.

Back
Top Bottom