Babylon 5: The Films

What is going to be fun now is to go back and review the episodes knowing what is coming you can see where everything starts.

That is exactly what I intend to do 'oer this winter, probably start the review(ing) of the series in/arounf January 2017.

but based on season one, episodes one and two, I think I'm going to enjoy Highlander.

As I said I think the TV series is better the the movies and the movies are very good. The character development had the time to develop in the series. My favorite character is Methos who is over 5,000 years old and, among other things, was once one of the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypses

Seems to me the only way to watch a series anyways, is to binge watch. Even more so now, with ten episodes constituting a "season". I was just getting hard into The Expanse, and season one was over. Next season isn't till March.

Keep an eye out for a replay if you missed it the first time ... they usually do a full season back to back before the next premiere. AND READ THE BOOKS! A universe easily as expansive as B5's, and there's at least two more books coming per the author. Excellent stuff ...

Expanse1.jpg

My favorite character is Methos who is over 5,000 years old and, among other things, was once one of the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypses

Gotta be Zathras for me ...

(or was it Zathras? I keep getting them confused.) <G>

Seems to me the only way to watch a series anyways, is to binge watch. Even more so now, with ten episodes constituting a "season". I was just getting hard into The Expanse, and season one was over. Next season isn't till March.

Keep an eye out for a replay if you missed it the first time ... they usually do a full season back to back before the next premiere. AND READ THE BOOKS! A universe easily as expansive as B5's, and there's at least two more books coming per the author. Excellent stuff ...

Expanse1.jpg

Thanks much for the heads up on James S. A. Corey's books They have 6 volumes of his Expanse series available on Audible. just loaded "Leviathan Wakes".

?

Only five published so far. Last I heard, #6 isn't due out till December.
Appropriate to this discussion ... title is Babylon's Ashes.

Seems to me, there was also a collection of shorts? Maybe that's what you see on Audible. Anyway, call me old school, but I can't abide a digital book. Gotta have the real deal!

expanse-books.jpg

Besides, I figure a thousand or so of those make great insulation if you build shelves on the outside walls. <G>

?

Only five published so far. Last I heard, #6 isn't due out till December.
Appropriate to this discussion ... title is Babylon's Ashes.

Seems to me, there was also a collection of shorts? Maybe that's what you see on Audible. Anyway, call me old school, but I can't abide a digital book. Gotta have the real deal!

expanse-books.jpg

Besides, I figure a thousand or so of those make great insulation if you build shelves on the outside walls. <G>

Sorry about the confusion. We old-time AKers use "+1" to represent "seconded" or "me, too".

Come on now, you're just adding to the confusion with that! Can I get a +1? <G>

I was referencing this when I mentioned there's only five books published so far ...

Thanks much for the heads up on James S. A. Corey's books They have 6 volumes of his Expanse series available on Audible. just loaded "Leviathan Wakes".

• James S. A. Corey: AKA Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck

The Expanse series
    Leviathan Wakes (June 15, 2011) *
    Caliban's War (June 26, 2012) *
    Abaddon's Gate (June 4, 2013) *
    Cibola Burn, (June 5, 2014) *
    Nemesis Games (June 2, 2015) *
    Babylon's Ashes (2016) release date 12-06-16
    Available on Audible
    Related works
    The Butcher of Anderson Station (The Expanse short story) (2011)
    Gods of Risk (The Expanse novella) (2012) *
    Drive (The Expanse short story) (2012)
    The Churn (The Expanse novella) (2014) *
    The Vital Abyss (The Expanse novella) (2015) *
    Available on Audible

Last edited:

Pity. Tim Choate, the actor who played Zathras died at the age of 49 in 2004,
as a result of a motorcycle accident while on his way to rehearsals for the play 'Macbett' at the Globe Playhouse.

As well as playing Zathras, the actor also played Polix in Crusade's "The Rules of the Game".

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0158678/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

I always thought that Sheridan did transition over...again...to death with Lorien as his 'guide'...again.

I found it particularly moving when the light flashes inside his ship and you hear him say "Oh, that isn't so bad."

Such an emotional episode, in large part due to Christopher Franke's beautiful, melancholy score (not to slight the terrific acting and 5 years of character development that made us care about these people). Franke's work on this show was integral to the overall feel and helped to separate it from the ST franchise and other sci fi series of the day.

Pity. Tim Choate, the actor who played Zathras died at the age of 49 in 2004,
as a result of a motorcycle accident while on his way to rehearsals for the play 'Macbett' at the Globe Playhouse.

As well as playing Zathras, the actor also played Polix in Crusade's "The Rules of the Game".

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0158678/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

"This,,,is wrong tool." A go-to phrase in my workplace.

Fun character brought to life by a great comedic actor. And another B5 cast member who died far too young.

Might be time to do another run through the series while awaiting the next season of The Expanse.

• James S. A. Corey: AKA Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck

The Expanse series
    Babylon's Ashes (2016) release date 12-06-16
    Available on Audible
    Related works

Gods of Risk (The Expanse novella) (2012) *
    The Churn (The Expanse novella) (2014) *
    The Vital Abyss (The Expanse novella) (2015) *
    Available on Audible

Aha!

Still not enough to convince me that paper ain't the way to go.
(mutter mumble)

Hey, you kids, GET OFF MY LAWN!! <G>

Aha!

Still not enough to convince me that paper ain't the way to go.
(mutter mumble)

Hey, you kids, GET OFF MY LAWN!! <G>
When you have a professional narrator reading these books you get spoiled fast. Especially when you have readings of unabridged books like the Dune series dramatized by a cast of professional voice actors it is like a radio drama.

Last edited:
For me, the "gold standard" of audio books is the original BBC series of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. <G>

The BBC radio production of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a classic, another one is The National Public Radio Play House "A Cantical For Liebowitz".

Last edited:
I'd say it was "Lord of the Rings" (the BBC version with top tier actors doing the voice characterizations, not that Mind's Eye debacle).

I'd say it was "Lord of the Rings" (the BBC version with top tier actors doing the voice characterizations, not that Mind's Eye debacle).

Oh yes I had forgotten about that one.

A fantasy I have is a English production of H.G. Wells War of The World set as it is in the book in Victorian England. The book is in 3 parts making it ideal for a 3 part mini series. The original book is illustrated and the CGI people should use them and the in the production.In the book the Martian walkers could be, and where destroyed by heavy artillery hits from The Royal Artillery Corp but if they got with in range to do it the heat ray form the Martians killed them.

War-of-the-worlds-tripod.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom