Babylon 5

There were many amazing moments and aspects to B5. The moving skins on the Shadow "Battle Crabs", the way Lyta Alexanders eyes went black when she was dealing with the shadows, to Bester the Psi-cop, To just try and understand the Vorlons, to watching Narn get hammered by the Centari Mass Drivers (Using asteroids to bomb the planet) to Ivonova's Breakdown after The Ranger Marcus gave his life to save hers, and she regrets never having 'Boffed" him, or Lenier's turn to the darkness, to Garabaldi's drinking problems to watching how Londo and Vir deal with the emperor, and G'Kar's whipping and getting his eye gouged out. Guest shots by folks like June Lockhart, Penn & Teller, and many others. Lorien, the first being and his outlook on things as the Shadow war ramped up, to President Clarks treason, and the Taking Back of earth, freeing Mars and the other colonies, and Sheriden's near death experience and being saved by Lorien. I ended up feeling sorry for many of the characters like Londo, Lyta Alexander, Garabaldi, Sheriden, Lenier, Susan Ivonova, and poor Londo (when he started out he had no power and all the choices, later he had all the power and no choices.) I felt sorry for the Regent too. Morden got what he deserved though.

Last edited:
When you see Walter Koenig as Alfred “Mr” Bester the wonderfully ominous, but not evil, PSI Cop in B5 you realize he is so much more the Pavel Chekhov.

Can you imagine what could have been done with Babylon 5 had there been Netflix, I get goose bumps just thinking of it.

There were many amazing moments and aspects to B5. The moving skins on the Shadow "Battle Crabs", the way Lyta Alexanders eyes went black when she was dealing with the shadows, to Bester the Psi-cop, To just try and understand the Vorlons, to watching Narn get hammered by the Centari Mass Drivers (Using asteroids to bomb the planet) to Ivonova's Breakdown after The Ranger Marcus gave his life to save hers, and she regrets never having 'Boffed" him, or Lenier's turn to the darkness, to Garabaldi's drinking problems to watching how Londo and Vir deal with the emperor, and G'Kar's whipping and getting his eye gouged out. Guest shots by folks like June Lockhart, Penn & Teller, and many others. Lorien, the first being and his outlook on things as the Shadow war ramped up, to President Clarks treason, and the Taking Back of earth, freeing Mars and the other colonies, and Sheriden's near death experience and being saved by Lorien. I ended up feeling sorry for many of the characters like Londo, Lyta Alexander, Garabaldi, Sheriden, Lenier, Susan Ivonova, and poor Londo (when he started out he had no power and all the choices, later he had all the power and no choices.) I felt sorry for the Regent too. Morden got what he deserved though.

There is season 2, episode 18. Confessions and Lamentations In this extraordinary episode we watch the extinction of Markab people from the Drafa plaque which has a 100 % mortality rate. The episode is tragic on so many levels. The scene when Ambassador Delenn leaves the area the Markab are isolated in after all have died the first time I watched it I was in tears.

FC12359B-209F-4A76-A817-C851CA0B21CD.jpeg

Last edited:
When you see Walter Koenig as Alfred “Mr” Bester the wonderfully ominous, but not evil, PSI Cop in B5 you realize he is so much more the Pavel Chekhov.
I agree. Before I saw him as bester, I aways thouht of him as a 2 dimensional actor. Now I think he's a very good actor and I kind of feel sorry for him as the Shadows altered his 'lover'.

For the computer geeks among us, the B5 extra-vehicular scenes were created on Amiga computers with Video Toaster sidecars. One of my friends, back in the day, was a high-ranking videographer for the Tonight show. He also did work for alot of the international documentaries of the day. He had two Amigas, with Video Toasters, for editing and post-processing. They were amazing machines. I'm still kicking myself for not getting one myself.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
I loved that series, I will watch it again, I'm going to nights for the next 6 weeks, I'll have plenty of time.At least they ended it properly.I hate it the way they just cancel a series without an ending.Defying Gravity or something like that on CBS was getting interesting, then POOF just gone... Firefly was also like that...

Thanks for this. Watched the whole series 10-12 years ago, and still have it on DVD. Because of this thread, I dug out the DVD sets and started season 1 this week. Now up to episode 9, I believe.

I really forgot how good, and innovative, this series was. It is kind of a shame it was never release in HD.

Babylon 5 was written like a video novel. There is a beginning and an end. The last episode was actually going to be shown at the end of season 4 when it was thought the series was going to be cancelled. It was extended for it’s final year so the really interesting finale for season 4 was inserted instead.

Last edited:
Wayne Alexander played Jack the Ripper, Lorien and lastly the Drahk that put the 'keeper' on the Regent and Londo. Very fine actor.

I am now 10 episodes into season two. I forgot just how dark this show gets. Excellent stuff.

For those lucky enough to have the entire series and specials available ...

glTFC.png

PS ... one of my favorite quotes (from Delenn):

We believe that the universe itself is conscious in a way that we can never truly understand. It is engaged in a search for meaning. So it breaks itself apart, investing its own consciousness in every form of life. We are the universe trying to understand itself.

Last edited:

glTFC.png

I have most but not all of those on DVD - I may give that sequence a try. Thx

Nice quote from Delenn.

One of my favorites is from the Centauri Emperor, Turhan - because it is SO true.
The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between. But there is still time to seize that one last, fragile moment.

glTFC.png

Thanks for this. Very handy as I re-watch. ....I have all of it except Crusade, but I will find a copy. I finished "Thirdspace" last night, and will move on with the rest of season 4 soon.

I continue to be amazed how will this show holds up.

Back
Top Bottom