1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Backing up library from file on JRiver23??

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Huck, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Huck

Huck Active Member

Happy New Year!
    I am having trouble lately with JRiver MC23 with everything just stopping playing,so I got a notice saying I need to do these certain 5 things,but the first is to back up my library from file....??...where do I back it up to...do I need to back it up on a thumb drive or disc??
    I kinda jumped into JRiver too fast and I have no clue how to do any technical stuff?!.....their Forum does not seem too friendly to newbies like me?!
    How do I uninstall Media Center?(that's step #2) Thanks,Huck

Please register to disable this ad.

2. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

You can back up your music files to another directory on your HDD, a thumb drive a CD or DVD or an external HDD.
    IMO/E it's desirable to keep music files in a directory that you create. This way when uninstalling you keep your music files. Just tell JRiver where to look for music files.

To Remove JRiver:
    Method 1
    On the task bar type control panel.
    open control panel
    go to Programs and Features.
    find jRiver in the list, right click and select uninstall

Method 2
    on the taskbar type settings
    open settings app
    go to apps
    click on apps and features
    scroll down the list to JRiver and click on it
    select uninstall

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  3. Huck

Huck Active Member

Thanks for that!.I just backed up my library to my desktop(for now),do I have to do a settings backup also,or are they included in the library backup I just did? Thanks Lots!Huck

4. JoeESP9

AFAIK they are not included in a library backup. Since you're having a problem with JRiver I suggest you do not keep the current settings. Do a fresh and complete install.

botrytis likes this.
  5. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

I created my own folder for my music files. At 310 GB and 44,000 files, I don't trust any music software to touch it. I have a double hardrive USB device and I back up there. The drives on there are only running for the time to do the backups; so the drive get no wear and tear. I have had too many friends that ended up loosing their files with Ipod and other self stored applications for me to trust any of them.

6. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

I
    I think he is referring to just the library file and not all his music tracks. Jriver saves things like playlists, favorites etc in one file .
    https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library

7. Huck

Huck Active Member

I did a library backup,which includes the settings,unless you untick a box....uninstalled Media Center,reboot,reinstalled latest version...all seems good for now,I hope,but it sounds a little off...can someone supply their 'audiophile settings ' for getting the best rips?.. Thanks,Huck

8. Huck

Huck Active Member

Thanks for the help! Huck

9. JoeESP9

I tried JRiver and don't like the way it treats compilations as multiple separate albums. All the other music players I've tried (Foobar, Media Monkey, Music Bee, Nightingale) show a compilation as a single CD/LP. In addition they are all free.

As for ripping I use either EAC or FREAC.

Tom6to1 likes this.
  10. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

But the others sound like meh. Foobar is a pain to setup right.

11. Huck

Huck Active Member

Thanks! Huck

12. JoeESP9

Using WASAPI makes a large difference. I agree, Foobar is a pain to set up.

13. Alobar

Curious if I am understanding you correctly. I don't have many compilations but here is what my copy of JRiver did with them. It stores these CD's under the term "(Multiple Artists)" and it shows up right at the beginning of the artist list (presumably because the name is in parentheses. Open that and all the CD's should be in there. Is there something better that Foobar does? Again just curious as to the differences..
    Capture.JPG

However if this is not the desired result, you can just not check the Multiple Artist checkbox during the ripping or importation process and it will put all the individual tracks to show up as CD's with just that compilation (in other words will show individual tracks as CD's not grouped together by the other tracks on that CD). Here is the checkbox I am referring to.
    Capture1.JPG

As for the fact that JRiver costs a bit, can't argue with that, but I also know that they are pouring the money back into making continual improvements. There are several media players in the past that were free but eventually faltered by becoming not supported. I don't mind paying a small amount for a bit of assurance that it will continue to be around.

14. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

First things first - I've had luck the time or two when an update caused problems just doing a Windohs restore to the last working version. Try that before getting all up into it. I'm sure they're just talking about having a current backup of your media library. The media files themselves are not affected if the software has "issues"...

Yah - that's the way it works by default. I pay special attention to compilations by re-tagging them as soon as they're ripped. Change the album name and cover to that of the compilation, then review the artist and genre listings. That's usually more of a problem for me with classical stuff, so I change the composer as needed and sort by that. Here's an example of one composer, WITH an assorted works folder - but that just has leftover "filler tracks" scattered about the library and uses the composer's pic as the cover.

[​IMG]

A lot of collections plug those into disks just because there's room. You'll also see one disk with several compositions and composers - I'll break those up into separate MC listings just for convenience during playback. Interesting example is Dvorak's Slavonic Dances, which come off three separate collections.

Little more work, but the features and other advantages of the software well outweigh that IMHO.

And yah ... WASAPI runs rings around any other options in the OS ...

~ ~ ~

PS - I'm still on MC19 (last stable version) - it does everything I want it to, so no more upgrades. Just shut down the UPDATE channel in the options menu.

15. JoeESP9

All the free players properly catalog compilations. I can't see me paying for a player that doesn't work the way I want.

16. Alobar

I must be on the ignored list.. I'm outta here.

17. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

Somebody say something? ;-}

18. Alobar

Yeah, just wanted an answer to my question.. no matter.

19. Dingman

Dingman Do you know where your towel is? Subscriber

You and me both. After putting over $100 into different versions of Jriver, I just gave up. It tears up compilations and I also have massive trouble with it splitting up single artist albums based on tagging issues. Couldn't take it anymore.

20. Dingman

Dingman Do you know where your towel is? Subscriber

I've tried that and then ran into tagging issues, couldn't re-assemble. Maybe I'm stupid or... I just don't know. Couldn't get past it.
    EDIT: I even spent days re-ripping with Jriver and it still hosed up quite a few albums.