1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Backing up library from file on JRiver23??

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Huck, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

JRiver, to its credit does a lot of things, maybe it is that it presents too many different ways to do the same things. If someone were to ask if JRiver were right for them, I would have to say maybe, but certainly not in all cases. I have gotten myself into a few jams too with it, enough to always heed their advice of any move, change, or whatever should be tried with a few files first, and then if all is well it is pretty safe to do all of it. I think for many, people just start flipping switches and spinning dials without realizing that this thing isn't best at hand holding.

Now that I have more or less the hang of it I am sticking with it as it really does a good job for me now. Still a bit confused over the problems JRiver has with compilations and want to learn more about that however..

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Dingman

Dingman Do you know where your towel is? Subscriber

I completely agree - Jriver very comprehensive and so many options. It's very nice in many regards. Many things about it, I like. The playlists, the custom coding of options, the remote control. All great.

But for ripping? I've tried taking small steps, didn't help me much.
    Here's something I couldn't figure out - I'd take albums that were all split up, take one song tagging info - copy it to all the others in that album and Jriver still wouldn't reassemble. I tried a couple diff method of this, always failed.

Now I'm just whining - just last week, tried to burn a long MP3 audio book, and I've always used Jriver to span disks, which it does well. But now (and I certainly haven't changed settings) -it won't recognize the blank disks. I have two different burners - neither one. WMC, Itunes and one other I installed and can't remember - they all could see blank disks, but not Jriver. I really needed the disks that day, so used Audacity to split the file and then used Win10 to just burn. Very aggravating.
    Here's my last whine - every time I'd have an issue with jriver and go check their "help" wiki, it was no help. So I'd post up my issue on jriver forum and I'd get basically zero responses, except maybe upgrade to next version. Fack that.

3. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

Interesting about the ripping, as of all the things I do with JRiver, this one is the easiest. I just shove CD's into the drive and it puts them in not only the right folders but adds all the right metadata and artwork although I sometimes opt for other artwork later with better resolution. I often rip while I am playing other music and never causes any problems.

I think at least some of the problems people have are more windows related but certainly not always. skizo maybe has the right approach, stay a few versions back as the latest are being developed while being used. I haven't had too many issues running the current version however other than lots of upgrades can mean waiting for it to finish before getting to play music.

Help is often the weakest link with any software product that is always being updated with new stuff. In order to create an up to date manual for each version would require a lot of resources and it would certainly cost the users more money for the company to hire the writers to create the manuals. So they took another approach by using wiki's and a forum. Problem is that forum seems to be manned with power users and often wont help someone who has not done his homework, probably for a number of reasons, one of which was how they came to their problem in the first place. Nobody wants to be blamed for messing up someone's entire media collection because the person is not being computer lit enough to figure the basics out. These guys are for the most part volunteers who believe in the software and are supporting its development.

This is where I would steer people away from JRiver. Like my spouse, she would have difficulty figuring JR out and also would be trying to make it do more advanced functions without a clue how to achieve it. I think JRiver, out of the box is about 95% there and if all a complete novice wanted to do was rip and play music then it would work fine. Problems will rear their ugly heads however if that someone starts making sweeping changes in mass without fully realizing what they are doing.

There are other media software out there, most not as powerful as JRiver, but also might not get the new user in trouble either. For me, coming from ITunes a few years ago, it was like going from a farm town high school to a major university.. Time to either swim or sink! But for me, having software that is robust is always worth a bit of digging and learning along the way. I still have but scratched the surface I think, but I am never stopped by something the software is incapable of doing. That is why I am wanting to learn more about its apparent inability to deal with compilations. Someday I am going to want to explore classical for instance and want to understand this deficiency now.

4. Dingman

Dingman Do you know where your towel is? Subscriber

I think you're right about the windows updates - I think that's what has caused my burning issue.

Alobar likes this.
  5. Donal64

Donal64 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't know Jriver, but have been using iTunes for a while. In iTunes, if you find some tracks of a CD missing, even if it's not a compilation, it's likely because another artist was on the track , and it will be found under that artist's name. Once you are aware of what's going on, and the fix, it's not real difficult. Took me a while to figure it out.

Alobar and awillia6 like this.
  6. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

In combination with the new year's resolution thread nearby, you just reminded me I STILL have a few albums splayed over a number of artists in my iTunes library. Therefore, I resolve to tidy them up soon, real soon...

Donal64 likes this.

7. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Well, VA albums (various artists) are the bane of most music playing software. This is due to using freeware databases for lookup. Not saying there is anything wrong with that but they have errors and omissions. The only software that seems to get it right is ROON but at 115 USD per year or 500 USD lifetime that is a lot of coin. They are actually using the record label dB's, hence the price of the software, you are paying for that.

8. Huck

Huck Active Member

Still having problems with my music stopping,even after doing the recommended procedures:
    -Backing up my library
    -Uninstall Media Center
    -Reboot computer
    -Re-install latest version of MC(23.0.91
    -restored my library.
    I am using Windows 10.
    Help!
    Thanks,Huck

9. botrytis

How much memory and what do you have running in the background?

Do you have your USB drive set as the default sound device in Windows? Use WASAPI if you have the drivers.

10. Huck

Huck Active Member

Not sure how to check how much memory,but USB set as default,nothing else is running,I am using WASAPI.Thanks,Huck

11. botrytis

Are the music files stored on this PC? Are they on the same HD? I use a separate HD for my music, even used a USB drive, with no issues.

I am on my cheapie Android pad so I will write more when I get to my PC.

12. Huck

Huck Active Member

I have very basic knowledge of computers,but my files are stored on this computer(JRiver),same HD.Thanks,Huck

13. botrytis

That could be one issue. I will get back to you on the other.

14. +48V

+48V hi-fi or die

Roon does not pay record labels for metadata.

Roon licenses/obtains their metadata from Rovi/AMG*(commercial) and MusicBrainz.(free under CC open source)

15. botrytis

They are supposedly also going to others. This was info from dcs at an audio show.

16. botrytis

OK, Right mouse click on the Windows Icon - go to System - that will give you amount of memory in the system.

17. Huck

Huck Active Member

Installed RAM 4.00 GB (3.68 GB usable)...this it? Thanks,Huck

18. botrytis

YUP - 4 GB - should be plenty. Is this a laptop or desktop?

19. Huck

Huck Active Member

Desktop.Thanks,Huck
    My wife is more up on this computer stuff and she found VLC (I guess it's part of Windows 10?) and all my ripped discs are in there,so playing them through VLC....not sure about if they are being played back as identical as my ripped disc,but sounds not too bad.Thanks,Huck

20. +48V

+48V hi-fi or die

"Supposedly also...others"? Are you able to be more specific as to exactly what info you refer/received from dcs at this show?

Is it the "record label db" part you claimed in your above post, or the "others" part, or both?