Bad inductor on Jbl 4435 xover?

script56

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
See pic. Is that possibly bad inductior? Having issues with low output from mid and hi. Close up is one in question. Other pic is good one. Also what are options for replacment? It is L2 on schematic for Jbl 4435. 1.0mH

Attachments

• 57F3A801-1ED6-4931-B807-8A95EB3B0D60.jpeg
    57F3A801-1ED6-4931-B807-8A95EB3B0D60.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 84D08F64-EFD5-4A47-86B6-651DF8C70499.jpeg
    84D08F64-EFD5-4A47-86B6-651DF8C70499.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 974A4545-EA10-40B1-AEC0-D26952237306.png
    974A4545-EA10-40B1-AEC0-D26952237306.png
    92.7 KB · Views: 68
Midrange and hi frequencies are low output. Compare inductors. One looks clean, other melted.

What do inductors do exactly? Some of the ceramic resistors on network look like they have endured moisture or overheating. Discoloration and flaking of ceramic material.

It does look like it has been hot. Depending on how how hot, especially internally, it might have some shorted turns that might not show up with a basic DC resistance measurement.

While I do not know the history of this, a quick look at the schematic makes me want to also take a look a C11 and C12.

@w1jim's advice is a good start. Please compare that reading to the same component in the other crossover.

Generally, I'd be more concerned about _why_ the inductor got hot enough to discolor. This indicates a fair amount of heat being generated for a period of time. This didn't happen quickly. And why just the inductor? I'd also expect to see some other resistors suffering as well.

What's the whole crossover schematic look like? I couldn't tell much from the snip.

Until proven wrong, I'd suggest you're looking at a symptom - not the root cause yet.

There's been plenty of advice about that big rotary switch being a pain on that model. I'd suggest cleaning it first and then re-evaluating the symptoms.

Cheers,

David

I would suggest that someone was biamping it and put a lot of power to the woofers for a while. The 18mH inductor appears to stay in the circuit even in bi-amp mode and I would think this to be the burned inductor.

If you put an ohm meter across it (with at least one leg out of the circuit), the resistance should be so low as to almost read as a short circuit. If the meter reads infinity, the coil is burnt open.

What do inductors do exactly? Some of the ceramic resistors on network look like they have endured moisture or overheating. Discoloration and flaking of ceramic material.
They impede the flow of high frequencies. They rarely go bad in my experience. BTW Script, you zeroed in too close on the schematic to show what it's really doing.

I would suggest that someone was biamping it and put a lot of power to the woofers for a while. The 18mH inductor appears to stay in the circuit even in bi-amp mode and I would think this to be the burned inductor.

If you put an ohm meter across it (with at least one leg out of the circuit), the resistance should be so low as to almost read as a short circuit. If the meter reads infinity, the coil is burnt open.
Or... the insulation could be melted causing shorts within the windings, bringing the effective number of turns down and lowering the value.

The inductor in question is L2; 1.0 mH. It's part of the horn circuit, and parallel; not in series. The bass inductors are mounted outboard of the PCB.

Based on the shape and burn mark in the red wire, may have been nothing more than someone careless with a soldering iron laying it across the windings

As suggested above, the easiest test is to lift one leg (actually, looking at the schematic it's probably not necessary to lift a leg) and test its DCR. It should be generally around 0.4 ohms, I believe.

Last edited:
I second the motion to check the caps in series with that driver, too. An inductor parallel to a mid or tweeter is not directly in the circuit path, it's there to shunt lower frequencies that came through the cap(s), thus making the curve drop off more steeply from the crossover point. The caps are in series and normally upstream of such an inductor so they would have carried all the current that went through the inductor, and more (since some - most - goes through the horn itself). If those caps had drifted to higher values, that could allow more bass into the circuit, which then gets directed through the inductor. Definitely check those caps, and if at all possible, measure the inductor before replacing it.

Well I checked all caps (except the .01uf). All tested perfect. I removed one leg of each. The .01 are so small, it is very difficult to remove. Should I continue checking the .01 caps, or can they hinder output as much as larger caps?

Back
Top Bottom