Balancing tone arm

Davie81

Just been rebalancing my tonearm after moving the turntable. This might sound silly or be completely normal but when it's balanced, if I bump it up or down slightly to check if it'll still balance when it settles, it's resting slightly lower than when I first set it. Is this normal if I bump the arm up and down to see if it'll go back to the same height? It's still floating but ever so slightly lower. Maybe just testing it too heavy?

Well, the bearings do have friction......Or, they could be too tight.......or loose........or the new location is not as level as the old location......

Sounds normal to my experience. Depending upon the arm design, there will always be some stiction in play. Even if the bearings are set to spec the lead wire from the cartridge run down inside the arm and will have some effect. Plus, any other mechanical forces like anti-skate even if set to nil.

Sounds normal, if it is indeed balanced it wont care where it balances within a certain range. I always verify VTF using a scale so I dont get to caught up in making sure its balanced to perfection.

Back
Top Bottom