Banana plugs "for use in U.S / Canada only"

Drag0nFly

Yes, I know this is a silly question, but after reading through a couple of different power amp manuals, I'm curious as to why this is mentioned several times throughout (this one is taken from the MC402 manual, page#10)

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/..%5Cdata%5Cmanuals%5CMC402om.pdf

Code:
Banana plug connection:

Insert the banana plug into the hole at the top of the
terminal. Tighten the top portion of the terminal post
and the set screw to secure the banana plug in place.
[B]Note: The Banana Plugs are for use in the United States
and Canada only.[/B]

:scratch2:

They are not legal for use in europe because they can be plugged into a wall outlet!! WBT makes a european legal type and it has an extra plastic pin to keep some chucklehead from plugging it into mains voltage.

Evan

I think it's due to the EU regulations, at least for Europe.
Banana plugs are not allowed.

Mac is just covering their behind. Besides what the people already said, the twin pins of a European AC plug will fit in an American double banana receptacle spaced 3/4" apart (just like the Mac speaker posts.)

As a matter of fact, that's why the plus/minus binding posts on British amps and speakers are so far apart.

They are not legal for use in europe because they can be plugged into a wall outlet!! WBT makes a european legal type and it has an extra plastic pin to keep some chucklehead from plugging it into mains voltage.

Evan

Ah, so protection for Darwin-award finalists--I see. :stupid: :withstpd:

Well, when you first venture down that road I guess there is no end to it.:bash:

Banana plugs is the most common connection here, btw., so this is the first time I've heard of this "problem". So they are in no way illegal.

I doubt the police are going to make a neighborhood sweep for banana plugs anyway LOL.

I do love their convinence though!

Evan

um, I am in Europe, and we have banana plugs, lots of them...

and not only WBT makes them, we have Eagles in the upstairs system, and countless other brands make them too here...
but only seperate I think, (not those double banana plug thingies)...

besides, who is stupid enough to plug his speakers in to the wall outlet? :D

Back
Top Bottom