Band members who recorded solo work.

pauldrewry

A tough one here, band members who put out solo work. By solo, I mean no other musicians are playing, just one person.

Aaron Gillespie of Underoath as The Almost - not sure if he got a band going to back him later on, but the first album he put out was him playing every instrument.

Roy Wood's album, Boulders. Except for the harmonium on one track, Wood played all other instruments and sang all vocals.

Last edited:
Larry Carlton (I believe he was a past member of Steely Dan, and contributed to several bands).

Also: Donald Fagen.

Surprise since this isn't necessarily a genre that I'm centered in; However I've heard plenty of their music to know a little about them.

Larry Carlton (I believe he was a past member of Steely Dan, and contributed to several bands).

Also: Donald Fagen.

Surprise since this isn't necessarily a genre that I'm centered in; However I've heard plenty of their music to know a little about them.

Becker and Fagen were the only regular members of Steely Dan and they'd hire the best studio musicians as needed to attain the particular sound they were looking for on a given track. Larry Carlton was one of those studio musicians.

Becker and Fagen were the only regular members of Steely Dan and they'd hire the best studio musicians as needed to attain the particular sound they were looking for on a given track. Larry Carlton was one of those studio musicians.

Good to know. I knew Carlton was in demand during this time.

Here's one artist who did just that, but still remains tragically unknown and underrated.

Some might remember the 1980s band THE WATERBOYS. Frankly, they were not really my thang.

Then from within the band, multi-instrumentalist Welshman KARL WALLINGER went it alone and formed his own band - WORLD PARTY. A band with one member. A one party WORLD PARTY.

Now this is music worth hearing!

Reminiscent of The Beatles - but with his own unique voice - Wallinger's WORLD PARTY proceeded to produce one great album after another. All are superbly recorded and many readily available of VINYL LP.

I would loosely describe WORLD PARTY as POP/ROCK/ALTERNATIVE.

He's quite hard to box-in as he is so very eclectic, but WORLD PARTY defining characteristics are Wallinger's clever lyrics combined with his ability to craft melodic and highly memorable "hooks".

My absolute fave is probably GOODBYE JUMBO, but don't miss these others either.

WORLD PARTY Private Revolution (1986).jpg

WORLD PARTY Goodbye Jumbo.jpg

WORLD PARTY Egyptology (1997).jpg

Here's a taste...

Last edited:
Here's a guy who's been in a few bands AND spends a lot of time playing with himself ...
(probably a better way to put that)

PS ... one of my favorite all time albums that nobody ever heard of is Kompendium Beneath the Waves ... kind of his magnum opus ... so far anyway.

Eric Clampton started out that way, has multiple albums totally solo plus solo songs on band albums. His (1974) ‘461 Ocean’s Boulevard album “Motherless Child” is probably his best solo song......

How about Lindsey Buckingham? Stephanie was a guitar solo on the Buckingham Nicks album as well as a Mac compilation ...

Not so easy given the requirements of the lead post. However:

Geddy Lee - Canadian National Anthem
Cozy Powell - Dance With The Devil (not sure that counts, because I seem to remember there were actually more musicians on the record)
Rick Wakeman - More solo work than works with Yes or the English Rock Ensemble, although some of them have other musicians.
Sting - Parts of his Songs From The Labyrinth are solo

Here's one artist who did just that, but still remains tragically unknown and underrated.

Some might remember the 1980s band THE WATERBOYS. Frankly, they were not really my thang.

Then from within the band, multi-instrumentalist Welshman KARL WALLINGER went it alone and formed his own band - WORLD PARTY. A band with one member. A one party WORLD PARTY.

Now this is music worth hearing!

Reminiscent of The Beatles - but with his own unique voice - Wallinger's WORLD PARTY proceeded to produce one great album after another. All are superbly recorded and many readily available of VINYL LP.

I would loosely describe WORLD PARTY as POP/ROCK/ALTERNATIVE.

He's quite hard to box-in as he is so very eclectic, but WORLD PARTY defining characteristics are Wallinger's clever lyrics combined with his ability to craft melodic and highly memorable "hooks".

My absolute fave is probably GOODBYE JUMBO, but don't miss these others either.

View attachment 1237267

View attachment 1237268

View attachment 1237269

Here's a taste...
Killer stuff and yes way underated.

Pete Townshend's first solo album, "Who Came First." Note on the back of the cover says "All instruments, recording, engineering, mixing, synthesizers in fact everything except making the tea in on gynormouse ego trip by Pete Townshend." Great album!

John Fogerty Centerfield (I think).
You are correct, and Fogerty also played all the instruments on "The Blue Ridge Rangers," his first solo LP after the breakup of CCR. Apparently he didn't release it under his own name in order to distance himself from the band.
Todd Rundgren I think.
Also correct -- I just ran to check the copy of "Something/Anything" I bought new in Germany in 1972 and all voices and instruments are by Todd.

You guys are batting 2 for 2!

Back
Top Bottom