Bands that could've been more...

I haven't looked at the whole thread, but if nobody has nominated Spirit yet, I'll raise my hand for them. I'm certainly not making little of what they did do. It's just that I would think a band that could make an album like "Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus" would be more of a household name than they are.

Cheers,

chazix

P.S. I did notice someone mentioned the Kinks. Any fans who haven't yet might want to check out Ray Davies recent "Rock 'N' Roll Cowboys" (on "Americana"). It makes me smile.

Rockpile, Rare Earth, Nirvana. Was also going to say Blind Faith and Badfinger, but I see they have already been mentioned. Badfinger was my favorite band when I was a kid. I had all their singles on 45s.

Gravenites was and is a powerful vocalist. He has worked some side projects with John Cipollina that are good.
Check out him and Bloomfield on "Bad Man" One of my all-time favorite songs.

Well, this is "almost" Electric Flag, got this album when it first came out...desert-island-record ;)

Hum, and the one fairly well known hit, despite 2 good albums.

Into Another.
Not that these bands weren't already really good as they were, their timing was bad, especially for Into Another. Hollywood Records didn't represent them well at a time when it was getting tougher for the harder edged bands. Grunge and the like were losing ground to the upcoming pop sweep of the latter of the 90's

The one Into Another song which made some airplay.

Last edited:
It seems a lot of music I like best is from bands that never hit it that big. Really puzzling to me.
Jon Butcher Axis
Big Head Todd and the Monsters
Freddy Jones Band
Jen Trynin
The Samples

I have never understood why Judas Priest didn´t become MUCH more popular than Iron Maiden.

To me, there is no contest. The vocals, lyrics, talent and creativity are WORLDS ahead of Maiden IMHO.

Plus, they put out their first album six yeras BEFORE Maiden.

I love Priest. Sad Wings of Destiny is my favorite. However, Priest vs. Maiden is like apples vs oranges. Much of it comes down to production. Priest was more of a garage sound, Maiden was more of an arena sound. Regardless of what thr metal mags had to say back then, Maiden was the crowd favorite.

I often wonder what would have become of Joy Division, had Ian not done himself in.

Would they have evolved into the New Order sound with Ian still around, or would they have gone down a different path?

I still really like that album. Sounds nice on the Altecs:thumbsup:

They were pretty tight with the Blues Travelers right?
If you have a turntable this is available in vinyl and it just sounds uber. I agree great set of songs on Pocket full of Kryptonite. On vinyl it is highly discounted.

The Vapors is a band I wish hadn't self destructed,hit the scene with Turning Japanese and after two solid albums broke up.
The Virgin Cowboys is another band that had a stellar debut only to be one and done.

Wall of Voodoo carried on after Ridgway bolted because IRS wanted them to be the next Devo. Ridgway has had moderate success and critics and fans still enjoy his work. I would love to have seen Wall of Voodoo free from IRS influence develop and explore its unique sound.

I think 'The Band' would be the obvious choice.

Levon, Rick and Richard gave their lives for their music and god bless them for all the years after 76'.... but there wasn't any groundbreaking studio albums like the ones prior.
I thought Jericho was as good as anything The Band did with Robertson. The Bands first two albums are bona fide classic recordings free of Industry influence and meddling. When you throw in their work with Dylan they were one tight Canadian band and many people forget Planet Waves with Dylan.

I agree. While I like the Illusion albums, it seemed as if they were searching for an identity - that they already had.
Axl Rose killed this band and after reading Slash's autobiography I have no respect for him as a man. Dude let Axl punk him over and over again when he should have stood up to him.
Chinese Democracy is a dreadful album filled with songs about Axl's failed relationship with his girlfriend,please get therapy.

I'll steer this in the direction of "jazz/rock" from the early to mid '70's beyond the likes of Blood Sweat & Tears and Chicago: Dreams [with Billy Cobham on drums and the Brecker brothers on brass and woodwinds], Ballin'Jack [saw them open for Rod Stewart and the Small Faces], IF [way talented group of guys that got overlooked], and Chase [Bill Chase's killer band with I think 5 or 6 trumpet players]. There's more I'm sure but can't think of them right now. I really like Leslie West's [heard an interview on Eddie Trunk's show about Les' new album] tone and playing style plus his vocals are right in the rock genre pocket; Felix Pappalardi not so much on vocals but interesting on bass and Mellotron. OPG.
Chase will forever be remembered for one of the harshest one word reviews ever: "Flee!" in the Rolling Stone record guide.

Back
Top Bottom