Bargain full range drivers

My faves these days are the dual cone Boston drivers out of late model Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge vehicles. I have four of them in my Avenger and they have very nice mids and highs and reasonable bass. They are easy to find on that auction site and most automotive salvage yards.

Be careful of those Boston drivers! The one's I pulled from my Magnum are 2-Ω!

auto wrecker specials

I suspect a lot of automotive speakers would work well as an open baffle driver. Make your way to the automotive salvage yard and grab some used drivers out of a nicer GM or Chrysler, both known to me for good audio. I would suggest 6x9's for more bass.

I was at a local auto wreckers.. a couple years back....looking for car parts...I found a Full load Chrysler Van... I ended up taking out the speaker system....I walked away with a boxfull of Infinity Speakers ....they are in my stash of storage goodies. I have 2x 6x9" and 2x 6 1/2" all with emit tweeters....all for $20.00

:banana:

Last edited:
Very popular single full range drivers that I have used for different projects:

VIFA TC9 - Currently using in uFonken enclosures, excellent sounding nearfield speakers.

Tang Band W3-SIF (don't have the right model in front of me) - I have posted about this discontinued 3" full range driver many times, a great bargain when PE sold them at $9.99 ea. I use them in a TABAQ enclosure.

I just received a pair of Mark Audio CHR-70A for a 2-way hybrid OB bookshelf project. I will post more info once I start it. The HiVi M5N that will be used for the low range can also be used as a single driver in certain applications.

I got some old hitachi speakers that are full range though only 5" good full range but have not re-purposed them yet

P1060500.jpg

P1060507.jpg

can probably find similar cheap...

I am soon to be finished building a pair of OB's using the Betsy drivers. I just need to finish them up, Im using the standard design from thecWild Burro website. Going to use a SMSL SA-S3 T Amp and a tube buffer/preamp. Should be interesting, will post some pics and thoughts when they are finished.

Mark Audio are a good start point in Full range drivers: They will not dissapoint although their size does preclude wall shaking sounds.. Wonderfull ! for late nite Jazz though.
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/fullrange-page-3/

Sadly there Ain't NO rock bottom prices for genuinely decent sounds
Expect to pay More than $35 each (CHP 70 are Good ) or don't even waste yer time... is my experience in this.

In my experience also the EV LT8 8 inch Wolverine extended rangers sound great and can still be found on that auction site at a reasonable price. JR

LT-8 was a coax (and one I've never seen in the flesh); do you mean the LS-8?
The LS-8 is a very nice extended range, twincone driver (a personal fave, in fact)... I am sure the LT-8 is very nice, too... but they're pretty darned uncommon, methinks.

I finished my folded wing Betsy OB build, Ill get some pics up soon, first impressions are outstanding. Detail, imaging, soundstage are all just beautiful. A real eye opener. Far more bass then expected, I haven't found a need to add a sub, but I may just to try it out. These Betsy's are a real quality product.

I finished my folded wing Betsy OB build, Ill get some pics up soon, first impressions are outstanding. Detail, imaging, soundstage are all just beautiful. A real eye opener. Far more bass then expected, I haven't found a need to add a sub, but I may just to try it out. These Betsy's are a real quality product.

Excellent! Do we have another OB convert? :D

I've seen a few mentions of "The Betsy" on this thread. Could someone provide the proper name and/or a link? TIA.

LT-8 was a coax (and one I've never seen in the flesh); do you mean the LS-8?
The LS-8 is a very nice extended range, twincone driver (a personal fave, in fact)... I am sure the LT-8 is very nice, too... but they're pretty darned uncommon, methinks.
You are right. My mistake. JOHN

One thing I'm curious about, how much of the OB sound quality is due to the actual baffle used and how much is the sound dependent solely upon the drivers. I realize they both play a part. I wonder though how much difference one would hear when placing the same driver in different baffles of widely different designs.

Thanks guys. I never used to think about stuff like this. Look at the road you've all sent me down.:sigh:

cubdog

Back
Top Bottom