1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Barter Thread

Discussion in 'The Music Barter' started by dfunghi, Sep 6, 2017.

1. dfunghi

dfunghi AK Subscriber Subscriber

Mods,
    If this is verboten please remove.

I wondered if we could get a barter thread going. Many times I have something for sale or trade that would match another's for sale or trade except they do not want what I have but other's do.

Let's say I have a Mississippi John Hurt Today LP and I want a Tom Waits LP. Ron has Tom Waits but does not want John Hurt, he does however want the sealed Deep Purple that Klown has........ and so on and so forth.

I was just wondering if we had a thread where we could list available trades and try to work out multiple party swaps. After all this is called barter town.

Also along the lines of Barter maybe I could offer to clean records via my system (which I would put up against any in the world) with a re sleeve at $4 a platter as credit towards an LP being "sold". We would each pay our own shipping. So besides the LP I bought the seller would send me four or five others to be washed and returned.

I am just throwing this out and maybe we could get it working similar to the sticky Karma thread (the $10 box).

Since BT demands I list a price and not allow feelers here it is:

I would like to trade a NM/NM Deja Vu LP (can verify matrixes but is likely very early) and an Allman Bros Beginnings for Horace Silver's "Song For My Father" of similar NM status, and of course any 1970's (Liberty?) RE would work to keep values close not expecting a rare original.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Northwinds

Northwinds Huh? Turn what down? Subscriber

Great idea for a thread Dave!

I would love to trade for a original copy of The Rods - Rock Hard

I have several hundred Metal and hard rock lps to choose from in my traders, most all with -NM records if opened as well as sealed lps

3. vice1984

vice1984 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I like the idea of the record cleaning as credit. I have an Audio Desk ultrasonic cleaner that I would love to be able to use to lower the cost of purchasing records. I agree that it could work like the Karma thread.

ChicagoTom likes this.
  4. buglegirl

buglegirl I Want To Be The Girl With The Most Cake Subscriber

Hiya,

Should be at the very least a sticky as to not bump away other posts.

Frannie

dfunghi likes this.
  5. dfunghi

I am going to try and figure out a want list and "have to offer" list and see if anything comes of it. I am going to ask mods to move this to back alley for discussion until we can figure out a way to make it work. I agree that endless bumps are not the way to do it.

6. olson_jr

olson_jr Beware of cake hoarders & soft shoe shufflers Subscriber

7. Celt

Celt Peanut Head Staff Member Super Mod

Moved this to Music Barter and made it a sticky.

8. dfunghi

Anyone care to trade a Jim Capaldi "Oh How We Danced" for a Steve Winwood "Arc Of The Diver" and S/T both in NM. Would like Capaldi VG+ or better on vinyl cover is negotiable.

I should add I want the Capaldi and have the Winwoods

9. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre AK Subscriber Subscriber

I like the cleaning credit idea. I'll keep an eye on this thread - unfortunately it comes along a little too late for me right now - just sold a bunch of stuff that I would have happily traded.

10. olson_jr

olson_jr Beware of cake hoarders & soft shoe shufflers Subscriber

Great idea!

11. Hajidub

Hajidub Chihuahua/Pug = Chug Subscriber

Genius.

12. bjlefebvre

Wouldn't mind trading a Price Buster album I have for some tube testing. I received two pair of RCA 12AU7s with my Rogue Sphinx I bought used but have no idea how strong these tubes are.

13. Killer Fox

Killer Fox Super Member

I'm looking for Stone the Crows albums in VG+ or better condition.

I have a bunch of new wave, female 80s, punk, jazz and classic rock stuff to trade. Let me know what you are looking for and I'll check to see if I have it.

14. captouch

captouch AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'd be happy to test tubes for you. I have a Hickok 536 mutual conductance tube tester. Not sure if you'd prefer someone closer to you (I'm in CA), so feel free to wait, but happy to do it. I think someone else might appreciate the album more, so in the spirit of barter, etc, I'd be happy to trade any tube testing credits toward ultrasonic cleaning credits from dfunghi. :)

dfunghi likes this.
  15. bjlefebvre

That might work. I have a vacuum cleaning machine if that level of cleaning interests you. I'll PM for the address for tube testing. Thanks!

16. dfunghi

I am trying to find a way to use a barter point system eventually. For now I would "price" record cleaning at $4 each and if doing four or more return shipping is on me. I would not do this for $4 per as a cash deal, but just as reference for value. Of course I have done more than a few for more than a couple of other AKer already just to help out. I figure I get about seventy LPs done per batch of cleaning solution. After that the solution is pretty murky. And I dust / pre rinse everything so this is gunk being taken from deep in grooves happy to say. I use Tergitol at about $5 a load and distilled at about $4 a load. The big cost is of course electricity and labor. Well, that an original outlay of close to a grand for all the pieces.

bjlefebvre likes this.

17. dfunghi

I am happy to clean the records for your tube cleaning and then apply it towards an LP purchase or something similar. I know you have a nice deep library.

18. captouch

captouch AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ben, I already have a KAB EV-1 vacuum cleaner, but I have some records that still have clicks/pops after using my machine. I've been very interested in the results from ultrasonic cleaning and whether it can resolve these types of issues on records that look visually very clean. If it can/does, I may be able to justify getting my own utrasonic rig at some point! :thumbsup:

I sent Ben my address for shipping his tubes. I'll get in touch on how many I end up testing and see what you think is fair. One album in particular I'm interested in having cleaned is a 45rpm Analogue Productions copy of Know What I Mean (earlier release, not the one that came with the Bill Evans boxset).

19. bjlefebvre

Sounds good. It'll be two pairs of tubes, all 12au7s and one of them I'm pretty sure is not working. I'll put them in the mail tomorrow.
    I was just thinking, I have a copy of Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers (this pressing) I could put up for 3 or 4 record US cleanings.

20. dfunghi

First let me say no problem I am happy to run that one through for you. I am finishing up this week's batches so if you can get it to me before Monday (when my wife gets her kitchen back from me) and I put it all away for few weeks I can get to it now. Second let me say how shocked I am to see you have this issue with QRP 45! I will PM you my address.

Don't need that one. I need Song For My Father. I would be happy with this version, and I know this is a $20+ record.
    https://www.discogs.com/The-Horace-...y-Father-Cantiga-Para-Meu-Pai/release/7273802