Barter Town, the AK Marketplace or Other Selling & Buying Venues

Discussion in 'Barter Town preview' started by Tinkerbelle, Jun 3, 2012.

1. fizzicist

fizzicist New Member

I'm sorta new here, so I apologize in advance if this post is in the wrong place.

I was referred here by someone on another forum who suggested that this is a great place to find a piece of audio gear I want to buy. So, I came here to create a Wanted To Buy post. After digging around for a while, I think I've figured out what's available, but I'm writing this post to confirm whether my understanding is correct.

It seems that there was once a way to post an ad in the Audio Marketplace (for $1), but a forum software revision knocked that feature offline, and no one knows when it will be available again (if ever). As I understand it, my only available option is to buy a membership for $25, which will provide access to Barter Town, the only forum currently available for buying/selling/trading and freebie-ing.

Izzat right?

2. Mitkraft

Mitkraft AK Subscriber Subscriber

You have it right except for the reason for the removal of the free marketplace. It was a management decision and not a software issue. There is no indication that it will come back so a subscription and Bartertown is your only option for buying and selling here on AK.

3. fizzicist

fizzicist New Member

Mitkraft:

Thanks for your reply and clarification.

4. Tinkerbelle

Tinkerbelle Everything in Moderation ------- Hudson Valley, NY Super Mod Subscriber

There was a software issue with the add-on software used for the Marketplace when we changed to Xenforo. That situation might have since changed but the Admins need to review and decide.

Meanwhile, the current option is BarterTown, available to subscribers.

5. fizzicist

fizzicist New Member

Tinkerbelle:

Yes, that was my understanding, based on what I read in this post by luvvinvinyl. I inferred that the Audio Marketplace feature was a service maintained by Panjo, and the $1 per ad fee supported that service. What's more, the OP in this thread includes a banner that says * * * The Marketplace is temporarily removed for software update review * * *. So it seemed reasonable to conclude that it was a software issue.

Thanks for your reply and clarification.

6. Mitkraft

Mitkraft AK Subscriber Subscriber

oops, sorry for the misinformation. Am I thinking of a different free buy/sell section that was removed as a magement decision? If so, I didn't even know about this one.

7. fizzicist

fizzicist New Member

No harm done, amigo. I'm not sure what you were thinking of. I haven't been around long enough to know much about anything. I'm still trying to sort it all out for myself. There are posts that say Audio Marketplace is one of the options for buying/selling/trading...etc. I just happened to find those first, which is why nothing was clear to me until I found this thread, and then posted (above) to confirm my understanding. It's all cleared up now.

viridis likes this.
  8. CfGee

CfGee New Member

Any idea of when marketplace will be back up?

9. Tinkerbelle

Tinkerbelle Everything in Moderation ------- Hudson Valley, NY Super Mod Subscriber

That would be a question for the owner, Grumpy

10. portnoy

portnoy AK Member Subscriber

I just re-subscribed after about a two year hiatus. Is Bartertown still the place to post items for sale? Or has Marketplace" supplanted this? I recently came into quite a bit of vintage gear that I need to move.

Thanks in advance...
    Wayne

11. hjames

hjames Nabbed ... Subscriber

Bartertown is the place ...
    There is no other here.

12. Tinkerbelle

Yes, it is Barter Town for all Buying, Selling & Trading. The Marketplace was previously available but when AK moved to the Xenforo platform the Marketplace software package was not compatible

13. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Thinking of subscribing to list some goodies on Barter Town. Is B-Town up and running?

14. Tinkerbelle

Certainly is.

15. lotusstp

lotusstp AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks to the Mods for lighting up my sub!

16. mrappe

mrappe AK Subscriber Subscriber

When will the marketplace be back up?

17. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Nikki's gone to the Rainbow Bridge. Staff Member Admin Subscriber

That was an added feature app of the old software, vBulletin. I don't expect to see it make an appearance in Xenforo.
    I have been wrong about such things before.