Barter Town?

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by Les Lammers, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Les Lammers

Les Lammers New Member

Is barter town different from the regular for sale ads?
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  2. Duffinator

Duffinator Spin The Black Circle

Yes it's for subscribers only. You can get some good deals there. Time to become a subscriber. :thmbsp:
  3. kcollins4

kcollins4 Rocking somewhere Subscriber

Obviously more exclusive. Typically, the items for sale there, aren't listed in the regular classified section.
  4. Urizen

Urizen AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes, while for sale ads in the Classifieds are $2 each, the yearly subscription fee is $25, which allows access to Barter Town other forums.

In addition, subscribers also have these added benefits:

# PM capacity increases to 1250.
    # Picture storage increases to 67 MB (Reg. members get 2 MB).
    # Create photo albums on your user profile page.
    # You can delete your own posts.
    # The ability to add a poll to a thread.
    # Bigger signature limit.
    # Choose to display your name in "Subscriber Red".
    # Use animated gifs as your Avatar.
    # Gain the ability to be "invisible" to the rest of the board. (No one can see when you're online).
    # Subscribers will not be kicked if idle in chat.
  5. Les Lammers

Les Lammers New Member

Thanks for the replies. Next stop...subscribe. :thmbsp:
  6. iflopdanutz

iflopdanutz New Member

BEST audio related $25 I've spent!! :thmbsp:
  7. Urizen

Urizen AK Subscriber Subscriber

8. gearfreak

gearfreak New Member

Does subscription thus include the ability to post ads to the 'normal' classifieds section, or do they remain ($2 ea.) even for subscribers?
  9. RayW

RayW Parrothead with a badge Super Mod Subscriber

The normal classified section remains as-is. The subscription gains you access to Bartertown which is free and somewhat higher traffic than the normal classifieds.
  10. bobschneider

bobschneider AK Subscriber Subscriber

Bartertown is the best feature of being an AK subscriber. However, my experience is that it's a lot more expensive than the $25/yr you pay to AK for access:D
  11. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Admin Admin Subscriber

Only if you can't control your impulse buying... me.
  12. reneborg

reneborg I'm Vintage Too

That's one way to look at it. OTOH, despite the constant temptations to spend your money on gear, when one does succumb to that temptations (and believe me, you WILL), you'll find that there are some great buys to be had. MUCH better buys than you will find on the bay. Pricing can range from going market rate to stuff given away and yours for the shipping. Thus, I think if you are someone that buys gear even occasionally, you should do it.
  13. RayW

RayW Parrothead with a badge Super Mod Subscriber

I think your wife has a filter to keep you from viewing Bartertown. I've seen your impulse buying at AK Fest and it ain't pretty. :D
  14. gearfreak

gearfreak New Member

Thanks all for the clarifications.
    It sounds so secretive, so eyes wide shut...

I'm due for a contribution via ads or subscription, so you may see me up there.
  15. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

Congrats on becoming a subscriber!
  16. Speakernutz

Speakernutz New Member

Originally posted by Ray W

This is hilarious because I too have an uncontrollable nature when it comes to shopping audio.....My wife swears I will have to call a wrecker one day to tow the not running car home that I just bought because my test drive consisted of checking out the stereo installed in it! And when I get home there wont even be an engine! Ouch! :rockon::rockon:
  17. spideyjack

spideyjack New Member

in addition to buying and selling in Barter Town, a subscriber can delete his own posts, very helpful for those times I "glug glug, post post" :)

but really it's the best way to keep this great place running.
  18. Montycat

Montycat ½ º ° Ω μf β ÷ ≠ ∞ ≤ ≥ ± Subscriber

Just one of my "transactions" (it was actually a freebie) in BarterTown paid for at least 3 years of subscribing. :thmbsp: