basic questions

caferacer59

I just got a Mriacord 50h and A few month before that I got a Dual 1218.

Curious, The Dual, is at least 3 times louder than the Miracord, when hooked up to my SX750/Klipsch KG4's what would explain that?

Also, the Miracord is filthy, I am going to down load docs from hifi engine, but basic question, can I gently flip this table over and rest it on a pillow while I use q-tips and what not to degunk this thing, It runs right on speed, and all of the auto functions and buttons all do what the should, but it has about 10 pounds of hairy grime stuck to its dark underbelly.

thanks all

no i just switched out my dual to the elac this a.m. , because I cannot get the damn dual stop to skipping on my old wood floors, miracord is much better on that front, I'll play with the tracking force when i get home later.

I have to listen more to see if I like its characteristics ok. The dual sounds great but for the sensitivity/skipping problem. not sure if the miracord with the current cartridge sounds as good.

When I need to get at the underside of a turntable, I place it upside down on three strategically placed tinned goods cans. Soup perhaps? As long as they're identically the same size.

But first remove the platter, spindle and cartridge sled.

Beware the black plastic head of the tonearm. The material seem to be fairly brittle and can break easily. I learned this from first hand experience - twice.

When I need to get at the underside of a turntable, I place it upside down on three strategically placed tinned goods cans. Soup perhaps? As long as they're identically the same size.

But first remove the platter, spindle and cartridge sled.

Beware the black plastic head of the tonearm. The material seem to be fairly brittle and can break easily. I learned this from first hand experience - twice.

Thanks for the answer on readjusting tracking/ antiskate etc. did that and played two records perfectly. Appreciate it. Also thanks for the can suggestion. Although it works well it’s ugly under there and needs a gentle scrub. Lastly, the dual is still much louder, it’s not that this tt doesn’t get loud but the other components are blowing the windows out of the place at 4 on the volume. I can turn the pioneer to 10 with this tt (Damn I want to say 11 in a British accent) it’s not really a problem but odd.

There should not be a drastic discrepancy in volume between the two. If you did not know this already, Elac colour coded their cartridge leads differently. Possible that a previous owner (or yourself) got the wiring wrong?

To assist with connecting the right wire to the right cartridge terminal, Elac sleds have embossed markings at the metal strips.

Can't completely rule out conductivity problems with the sled contacts, tonearm head contacts, mute switch contacts, underside RCA jacks (if present) and the connection cord.

Or a bad cartridge/stylus for that matter

Another "helpful hint" - if you get the urge to say clean and re-oil the platter bearing or anything else that requires removal of the "support plate" (see service manual diagram and parts list for identification) be very carfull. There is a large nut in conjunction with a smaller locking nut.

To access one of the three screws attaching the support plate, at first glance, it may seem those nuts must be loosened and removed but that is not so.

If you try undoing the locking nut, you run the real risk of twisting the threaded shaft, shearing it off. It's just pot metal and cannot take much rotational strain.

And something about the platter bearing - if you do remove it. The balls may not be sealed in the race. If so, they can easily fall out. And since they're almost microscopically tiny, if you lose track of one (or more) I'd almost guarantee, you'll never find it.

well q-tips and alcohol to the cart connections make all the difference in the world seems it was conductivity at the sled. Loud as all my other tt's now - Thanks @62vauxhaul

Back
Top Bottom