BBQ- who's got the best? Pick your favorite region...

Best regional BBQ- who's got it? Who wears the crown?

• Total voters
When old man Stubbs was still alive, his original place in Lubbock was some of the best I've ever had. Good Texas bbq and a cold shiner.......... can't be beat :thmbsp:

When I lived in Oregon I got my dry rub from a place called North Main Barbecue in Eulis,Texas don't know if they are still there.A place called Campbells in Portland is real good.

in memphis-corkys -great sauce and sides
rendevous-dry rub with the best baked beans- these two are different yet equal in wow factor
but the best bbq rest.-arthur bryants in st. louis!

gone but not forgotten-javans,columbus,ohio. gave arthurs a run for his money!
i ve found the best bbq to be the side of the road stands. i stop at many and haven t really had a bad one yet. bbq people take a great pride in their product,unlike other foods.they hold theyre heads high and ask if it is the best you ever tasted.confident they have a superior product.best food and the best people are bbq ers!

They say here in NC that it's the best. I'm from NY and BBQ is something you do not something you eat. Due to it's popularity 'round these parts I find it very offensive and vile. Not because it actually is but just because everybody thinks it's the best thing in the world. I think Italian Sausage is leaps and bound better than all of it. Thanks for listening.

Yes, I'm sure that "havving a Bob b que at the shore" is much better than enjoying some good hickory smoked pork served in any one of several varieties in NC.

Not sure why you find the popularity of good pork BBQ "offensive and vile".

When I go to Philly, I'm not offended at the popularity of cheesesteaks.

By the way, we know our pizza can't compare to Vinnies down at the corner of Toid and Toidy-toid avenue. :D

Lighten up brother. You can get eye-talian susage here in NC. Enjoy all that is great about living in NC. It's a wonderful place! :yes:

Much better than arguing about politics.

Someone said it before -- good 'cue is all about WOOD!

My favorite place, considered the mecca of Eastern NC barbecue (not Western! totally different animal) is Wilber's in Goldsboro.
wilbers_web.jpg

Here's a pic of the grilling area. Note the SMOKE!
WilbersTwinSmokehouseGrillAreas.jpg

They're roasting the meat -- whole hog -- under the plates on the left. The space on the right is for overflow for when they know it's going to be busy.

You can drive their anytime of the day or night and they have the fire going. They do up 'cue right. If you're ever in that neck of the woods, check it out.

I'll second a vote for Wilbers. My wife is from Goldsboro and my in-laws still live there. I can't get within 50 miles of there and not stop in.

Sc Bbq

What I can't figure out is why South Carolina doesn't have any particular claim in this game. What are they making?

If you're ever in Charleston SC, be sure to eat at Thomas Bessingers on Savannah highway.

Onion rings as big as bagels, light and fluffy. :drool:

And of course, mustard-based sauce.

check out the website www.bessingersbbq.com

It'll make you hungry! :yes:

Wilbers BBQ

Much better than arguing about politics.

Someone said it before -- good 'cue is all about WOOD!

My favorite place, considered the mecca of Eastern NC barbecue (not Western! totally different animal) is Wilber's in Goldsboro.
wilbers_web.jpg

Here's a pic of the grilling area. Note the SMOKE!
WilbersTwinSmokehouseGrillAreas.jpg

They're roasting the meat -- whole hog -- under the plates on the left. The space on the right is for overflow for when they know it's going to be busy.

You can drive their anytime of the day or night and they have the fire going. They do up 'cue right. If you're ever in that neck of the woods, check it out.

Had to make a business trip to LaGrange NC Tuesday. On the way back, stopped at Wilbers for an early dinner.

Good example of the Eastern NC style.

Something a little different about the fries there, very good.

Very good hushpuppies too. And of course, excellent sweet tea.

Just my 2 cents worth, but....

One must kill a hog and dig a large hole in the ground in order to have decent barbecue. One must also have hickory wood in that hole, burned down to coals.

I'm sick of beef brisket.

Corky's in Memphis was always my favorite. Their slaw is incredible, and the onion rings fried in a loaf are just unbeatable. Pig and Whistle in Bartlett was also a great place for a bunch of guys on whatever night it was they had all-u-can-eat.

Just one more reason to move back to east Arkansas.

I've eaten all four types mentioned here in their native locals.

And I favor Memphis style which should really be called lower Mississippi Valley style as it's what you get also in Mississippi, Arkansas and Louisiana. This is the style we get most often in Chicago because the majority of Black people in Chicago are from that region of the south. And in Chicago Black rib joints set the bar. Just as Chicago has the best Blues it has the best BBQ and for the same reason---the Illinois Central Railroad.

I ate lots of Texas BBQ and it ranged from pretty good to vile. I'm not that keen on BBQ beef anyway and I'm not a big brisket fan except in a Jewish deli. I like Texas smoked sausage alot though. Best Texas BBQ I had was a little hole in Lampasas, worst was in Kerrville, made me sick as a dog. All In all I think Texas food is mediocre. I had bad meals in San Antonio, Dallas, Kerrville, Brownsville, Galveston and South Padre. In Austin I gave up and ate at the Cracker Barrel, at least I knew what to expect.

NC style I find a little bland compared to lower Mississippi. I've eaten in several NC joints; mountain, flats and shore. But always good.

The ribs I had in KC were wretched, I didn't even finish them, threw them in the trash. Some place downtown that locals told me was better than Bryants, don't recall the name. If the place was typical KC I can do without it. Hard to judge fairly going by one joint though.

Now here in Kan-tuk-kee they BBQ mutton but I haven't had the nerve to try that yet. I had BBQ last night at a local joint called Billy's. Very good pulled pork, good baked beans and excellent fresh cut fries. Good cornbread but mediocre cheese grits. We have a Corkie's here but it's not as good as the one in Memphis, the one in Memphis being one of the glories of the state of Tennessee. Sticky Fingers in Chattanooga ain't bad and BB-Cuties in Nashville was really good.

There's a place in Greenville , SC on Wade Hampton Blvd. , called Henry's. It's a shack with a stack of split hickory out back (they split the wood "in house"). You can see the meat being prepared from the counter where you order. All the meats are served dry , the sauces are on the tables (molasses or mustard based). It is the absolute best barbecue I have ever had. After that , it would have to be the hog roasts we had where I grew up (Davie , FL) Shoot 'em at dawn and put 'em on a spit , close to the wood so the smoke wrapped around it , and by 5 or 6 PM the meat could be removed , served , and eaten with a fork. Now I live in OH where "BBQ" is ground beef swimming in KC Masterpiece. :puke:

"Now I live in OH where "BBQ" is ground beef swimming in KC Masterpiece."

Don't feel bad, next state over the Hoosiers are keen on fried brain sandwiches.

Best things I ever got out of Texas were a six-pack of Lone Star and my @$$. I did basic training in Texas so I just don't have real fond memories. Didn't care much for the beef there , seemed kinda stringy.

As a general rule, BBQ in the South is going to be pork and in texas it'll be beef.

I prefer pork, but individual tastes vary.

When I travel, I try to sample the local BBQ joints. (not the chains).

It sure does vary greatly! :yes:

Found a tiny hole-in-the-wall place in Redbank TN called "Sportsmans BBQ" or "The Sportsman". Exceptionally good. :drool:

I have found that BBQ, like a lot of other things, is somewhat of a what you grew up with thing. I grew up with mustard-based sauce on pork BBQ and it's stlll my favorite, but I sure have tasted a lot of good BBQ of different types and in different places!

I haven't tried the place in Greenville on Wade Hampton, but on my next trip there, I will!

Once, many years ago... I was at a place in Kentucky that had unbelievable brisket. I wish i could remember the name but I think I'm getting senile. Is that normal for people in their late 20's?

This summer I went to Fat Matt's Rib Shack in Atlanta. Let's just say that Fat Matt isn't fat for no reason. That place was killer - great ribs and beans. Cold beer. Goodness.

http://www.fatmattsribshack.com/

Around my area of Maryland Bare Bones is about as good as it gets. Well except for right here when done with Florences's Deam Man's Revival BBQ sauce.:D

Had to make a business trip to LaGrange NC Tuesday. On the way back, stopped at Wilbers for an early dinner.

Good example of the Eastern NC style.

Something a little different about the fries there, very good.

Very good hushpuppies too. And of course, excellent sweet tea.
A business trip to LaGrange? When you drive by there on US 70, it doesn't look like there's anything there at all.

I like the tea at Wilbers, but it's almost too sweet for me. I'll typically order unsweetened there and dump Splenda in it. My favorite iced tea is at Stephenson's BBQ at McGee's Crossroads (exit 319 off of I-40). They also have some of the best fries ever. And good 'cue.

La Grange

A business trip to LaGrange? When you drive by there on US 70, it doesn't look like there's anything there at all.

I like the tea at Wilbers, but it's almost too sweet for me. I'll typically order unsweetened there and dump Splenda in it. My favorite iced tea is at Stephenson's BBQ at McGee's Crossroads (exit 319 off of I-40). They also have some of the best fries ever. And good 'cue.

Well, it's not quite the LaGrange that ZZ Top sings about, but....

Actually, they are building a new regional water treatment plant there.

Thanks for the tip about Stephensons BBQ. Will check it out on my next trip in the vicinity. Always ready for good BBQ! :yes:

I haven't tried the place in Greenville on Wade Hampton, but on my next trip there, I will!

Henry's is west of Grady Miller's Honda and the big cemetery , ' bout 1 mile , on the opposite side of the road. There used to be a Sherwin Williams store on the left and a veterinary hospital on the right. Get there on a Friday around noon and it could take 20-30 minutes to get your food.
There's nothing BANG or in your face about the food , just fresh , local meat cut and smoked by people who give a sh*t about the taste. The taste of the meat comes through above the smoke and sauce. :thmbsp: They also prepare quantities for take out. Take a couple of chickens home for later.

Back
Top Bottom