BBQ- who's got the best? Pick your favorite region...

Best regional BBQ- who's got it? Who wears the crown?

• Total voters
Well, it's not quite the LaGrange that ZZ Top sings about, but....

Actually, they are building a new regional water treatment plant there.

Thanks for the tip about Stephensons BBQ. Will check it out on my next trip in the vicinity. Always ready for good BBQ! :yes:
Stephenson's is about three or four minutes off the interstate. Exit 319 is NC 210. Not sure if it's called West or South, either way you'd take a right off the exit if you're coming Raleigh. Then the next big right is NC 50 North, heading back towards Raleigh. Go about a mile or so and it's on the right. You can't miss it.

The knock I've heard on Stephenson's is that the barbecue is inconsistent. Well, I've eaten there a dozen times and only once was it less than excellent. One of my favorites.

Bbq

Lexington Bar-B-Que in Lexington, NC or Whispering Pines in Albemarle, NC. Two of the best in the world. :banana:

It's all about beef vs. pork. For ribs, go to Memphis (I like the Rendezvous); for pulled pork head to Carolina, and for beef (brisket), it's off to Texas (KC's good too). I like 'em all. When it comes to firing up my smoker at home though, it's pork shoulder.

It does bother me, however, that some Carolina places chop the hell out of some perfectly good pulled pork. What's up with that?

My girlfriend's neighbor makes wonderful BBQ ribs with home made sauce. And her potato salad is world-class. Besides, I take care of my father and my cat and birds, so travelling far is not an option.

Wherever you hold it, I would appreciate a care package, FedEx'd to my home, by the next day. Packed in dry ice, of course.

Don't forget the cole slaw.

So, I vote for Brooklyn.

Seth
Forever Analog and Covered In Parrot Poop

Hey, it's all good.:beer:
To my taste buds, there's nothing like a good dry-rubbed, smoked and heated over charcoal rib for a soul-satisfying meal, so I voted for Memphis.
Sacrilege or not, the best Memphis-style pig I've ever eaten was at Virgil's in New York City. Any naysayers who find themselves in this neck of the woods can get in touch with me, and I'll take them there!
The Other Seth

BBQ- It's ALL Good!

Personally, the travel I do for work takes me to the same BBQ Joints on a regular basis. Bills BBQ in Richmond is the hometown favorite since I grew up there. (Always get the limeade with my order)... but really not until I get to North Carolina do I experience major anticipation and plan my trips around visiting the following at mealtime...

Greensboro NC- Stamey's /Coliseum Location
Lexington NC- Lexington BBQ (tradition... very difficult not to stop there when traveling on I 85
Charlotte NC- MACS is the new KING in town for BBQ... second choice is Bill Spoons

By the time I get home I don't need any BBQ for a couple of months...

Beef Ribs;

I smoke them all day long with Cherry wood , until the meat is just a tad pink in the middle.

And that's it, they are delicious just like that, sweet, tender and juicy.

For pork, I use Apple wood, and of course, cook them all the way through.

If I want some sauce on them---Sweet Baby Rays.

Dave

Duh, the poll is for the best region, my Bad.:stupid:

Well, I live next North Carolina, so I would have to say that--------
--------Kansas City had the best Ribs I have ever eaten, bar none.:D

Carolina BBQ is okay, but a tad too vinegary for my taste.

Dave

If you haven't eaten at all four of the locations (like myself), then you can't really compare and judge the four regions. I've heard good things about all four regions. I voted for Tx, simply because I have eaten at some of the top places in Tx. BTW, I plan to be in Greenville, SC this weekend, so I'll make a stop at Henry's to see what the fuss is all about.

Here's a sample of some Tx venues (you can draw a 50 mi circle around Austin and find most of these places):

Lexington, Tx - Snow's BBQ
(I don't know whether I can eat BBQ for breakfast. That's pretty much what you need to do to eat at this place)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pJED3BMLCM

Taylor, Tx - Louie Mueller's BBQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xw2kpnH7q4&feature=related

Lockhart, Tx - Kreuz's BBQ (pronounced “Krites”)

BBQ served on brown butcher paper. No side dishes or forks.

Sign inside Kreuz's:

NO BARBEQUE SAUCE
(NOTHING TO HIDE)

NO FORKS
(THEY ARE AT THE END OF YOUR ARM)

NO SALADS
(REMEMBER NO FORKS)

NO CREDIT (CARDS ALSO)
(BANK DOESN’T SELL BARBEQUE)

NO KIDDING
(SEE OWNERS FACE)

Driftwood, Tx - Salt Lick BBQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvOA7OEuuc4&NR=1

Last edited:
Slow's Barbecue on Michigan Ave in Detroit. They have a pulled pork sandwich there called The Reason that'll flat out knock your socks off. But the best part is that they have a beer list unrivaled in any restaurant I've been to. It could use a few more taps, but they have an incredibly impressive array of bottled beers.

Only place I havent tried is - Memphis but a local place has Memphis-style BBQ.

Remember - South Carolina - Georgia is PORK

Texas and Kansas City is Beef.

Memphis is either.

In Texas, the brisket is beef, while the ribs are usually pork.

The sausage is whatever we find on the highway.

Nc/sc bbq

As mentioned before, BBQ in North & South Carolina will be pork.

But the "style" of BBQ in the Carolinas will vary depending where you are!

There are 2 different styles of BBQ associated with NC, one with a ketchup-based sauce and one with a vinegar-base.

There is a mustard-based sauce that is associated with the Bessinger Family in SC that I am fond of.

But the "style" of BBQ in the Carolinas will vary depending where you are!

There are 2 different styles of BBQ associated with NC, one with a ketchup-based sauce and one with a vinegar-base...

I sure like the vinegar style in NC.Haven't been East for a while,though.My vote goes for KC area to eat out.A local Kansas pig roast and ranch rodeo is hard to beat(if you're in the band you eat good and stay clean!),but I prefer my own local deer,buffalo or beef BBQ. ....I'm hungry!

Henry's Smokehouse in Greeneville , SC. I love SC BBQ. Texas , however , has brisket nailed. So , beef BBQ=Texas , pork BBQ=South Carolina.

For most of my life living in NYC it has been a veritable desert of good BBQ. Over the last 15 years or so we have made great strides in improving that culiunary defect. Starting with Virgil's which brought a multitude of styles of BBq to the city. Following them was Pierson's Texas BBQ which was very good but is sadly no longer with us.
Of late the money has poured into BBQ restaurants here, Blue Smoke, RUB, Dinasour BBQ and Hill Country. The last one is modeled on Kreutz's, the pitmaster interned there and they truck the mesquite up from Texas weekly. I'm sure it is a pale imitation to the real McCoy though. I've been lucky enough to eat at some good real BBq joints around the country and each one has it's virtues.
The Pink Pig in Levy, SC between Hilton Head and Savannah was excellent, the County Line restaurant in Oklahoma City had great smoked beef ribs and the Georgia Pig in Brunswick is as authentic as it gets.

Back
Top Bottom