Been a while

insomniac

So, I haven't posted here in about 5 years. Been lurking and reading up in the meantime trying to find good bang for the buck components after selling my last system off. Previous system was a McIntosh 2105 amp, C28 preamp, Pioneer PL41 turntable, and Klipsch KG3 speakers. Unfortunately money got tight and the Mac stack became a new TV and tires for my car. Pioneer never quite worked right so that got sold, and the Klipsch stuck around until they were replaced a couple weeks ago by a pair of Energy reference connoisseur RC 10b's. In the meantime, I have managed to build 3 new systems in the house the fiancee and I closed on almost a year ago. Much as it sucked getting rid ofy original setup, I'm even happier with my main rig now, and I have two additional systems to boot! Components are swapped out occasionally, but as of right now the systems are:

Living room/home theater

Marantz 1090 integrated, Technics M205 cassette deck, Nakamichi 5 disc chamger, Cambridge Audio ensemble speakers, and an 8" AR sub stuffed behind the TV stand.

Basement/man cave (work in progress)

Nikko na-890 integrated, Kenwood kd 2070 turntable, JVC CD player, Epicure 20 speakers and a Dayton sub-1200.

Bedroom/main rig

Sony ta-e1000esd pre, Dayton APA 150 monoblocks, Yamaha kx-380 cassette deck, Integra cdc-3.4 CD player, Pro-ject debut turntable, Energy RC10b speakers, and Velodyne Servo 1200 sub. Currently waiting on a Sansui B-2101 amp to come back from the shop so I can bi-amp the Energy's.

Pardon the long-winded post and crappy cell phone photographyIMG_20161008_161504688.jpg IMG_20161009_182338343.jpg IMG_20161009_182502298.jpg IMG_20161009_195909951.jpg ! Just wanted to share in this addictive gear-collecting hobby lol.

Last edited:
Welcome Back, Very Nice Gear Thanks For Sharing.

Stick Around For Awhile this Time ;)

, Mike.

Glad to have you back. We can use your type around here! I get the sense these setups see their fair share of usage. What types of music do you prefer?

Anything on the rock side of the spectrum, with some heavy metal and jazz thrown in for good measure. Just got done listening to Ben Folds 'Songs for Silverman'. Before that was Deftones' self titled.

Awesome. I sampled the last 3 deftones albums quickly today. I just have a soft spot for around the fur and adrenalin. What jazz do you recommend?

My selection is pretty limited right now, all I have is some Miles Davis, Thad Jones, Jaco Pastorius and Weather Report. I welcome any suggestions anyone reading this thread has.

Thanks all. I'll have to take some better pictures eventually, maybe with some nice natural light. Will definitely have to take more pics of the main rig when I get the Sansui back, assuming it is fixable for less than a fortune. Although it's no huge loss if it's not, it was $40 at a pawnshop where I bought it assuming it would be DOA anyway.

While I'm on the subject of expanding the main system, I will need a new rack to hold an additional amplifier. Was thinking about buying the 3-tier version of the Ikea rack I'm using now, as it's available for not much money. I really like the short, wide flexi racks I have seen some members here use, but I don't have a whole lot of DIY time around here between work and family activities. Also currently on the work bench are the beginnings of an integrated amp made with Magnavox tube amp and a cheap Chinese two tube preamp, and some cable risers made from old ceramic power line insulators. Who knows if either of those projects will ever be finished lol. Anyone know of a relatively inexpensive finished flexi type rack?

I just find it amazing that you are married and your main system is in your bedroom and not your man cave. Congrats! LOL

Hahaha I guess I hadn't thought of it that way. It's just as well though, the Epicures weigh like 65 lbs apiece and I don't particularly feel like carrying them upstairs. Not to mention I think the WAF on the Energy speakers is much higher.

Picked up a 'new' lounge chair for the master bedroom system for when we rearrange it. It's not an eames, but it will do nicely. Hans has already claimed it as his own... he has good taste.

IMG_20161017_195349385.jpg

Epicure Model 20's??

My man. You have great taste. I have a pair of those, actually the drivers from the Model 20 (cabs were SHOT) and inserted in 201 Epi Cab. Full resto. One of my favorite speakers ever.

Welcome back, bud.

Hi, how do you like the Nikko NA-890? I had a 690 which was a great amp.

I like it a lot. A reasonable amount of good, clean, neutral sounding power in a very attractive package. Love the looks of it.

Epicure Model 20's??

My man. You have great taste. I have a pair of those, actually the drivers from the Model 20 (cabs were SHOT) and inserted in 201 Epi Cab. Full resto. One of my favorite speakers ever.

Welcome back, bud.

Thank you sir! It's good to be back. I just recently picked the 20's up from a pawnshop (for next to nothing, believe it or not). My only concern with them is I'm not sure they're original drivers, although they sound good enough for me to not worry too much about it. I will pull them eventually, and if they aren't original I will most likely replace them with new ones from Human speakers.

Next to nothing for Epi 20's?? I'm still kicking myself for balking at a pair in Nashville for 200 bucks. They're serious good with Hu's upgraded caps and new drivers. Talk to him, he's a great guy.

If I had it to do over again, I'd go brand new drivers from Hu, but I ain't complaining. :beerchug:

Oh yeah, might as well do the caps while I'm at it. I have pretty limited skills working on gear but caps are easy enough.

Regarding the price, does 50 bucks count as next to nothing? :)

Back
Top Bottom