Beers not brewed where you thought...

I had a friend that worked for Anheuser-Busch. He told me that it was amazing what marketing could do.

He asked me if I knew the difference between Budweiser and Michelob. I said I thought Michelob was a slightly more premium beer. He told me the difference was the bottle. Same beer.

Good marketing. Had me fooled.

I remember in the 1970s when Miller started brewing Loewenbrau in the US under license from the Munich brewery and the translation was dreadful. Same with Tuborg when they made it in Baltimore. But the Trumer Pils brewed over on Gilman Street in Berkeley is pretty darn good -- and they trumpet the fact that it's made here. And the 21st Amendment Brewery cited in the article just opened a huge new facility in a former Kellogg's plant (goodbye Poptarts adn Frosted Flakes, hello IPA) in the East Bay, so it will again be local.
But the clearest evidence that the world of beer is being turned upside down is finding US craft beers in Germany. In Hamburg in May, I found Anchor Brewing and Lagunitas IPA at the Rattsherrn brewpup and a supermarket was selling beer from Stone and Brooklyn breweries.

I remember in the 1970s when Miller started brewing Loewenbrau in the US under license from the Munich brewery and the translation was dreadful.

Imported Lowenbrau was a favorite of mine till Miller took over production. The first batches didn't seem all that bad but it quickly went downhill, and at that price a total waste of my money. I bought some of the imported stuff recently and man, what a difference!

I had a friend that worked for Anheuser-Busch. He told me that it was amazing what marketing could do.

He asked me if I knew the difference between Budweiser and Michelob. I said I thought Michelob was a slightly more premium beer. He told me the difference was the bottle. Same beer.

I don't buy your friend's story...

trouble is if being brewed in a different area is the water .. same with a cup of tea
thing is i never got with the purity laws of 1556 used in some areas ... who knows how bad the water was back then ..

Life is too short to drink crappy beer. Find a good craft beer store that has imports and buy one Rochefort 10. Drink at room temp and then try to go back to mass marketed miller/coors/bud products.

I live near the AB brewery in Merrimack NH and took the "tour" years ago. My recollection is that Busch, Bud and Michelob are brewed in the same vessel, just drawn from different locations after settling. Busch from the top, Mich from the bottom. Not saying this is gospel as my memory has never been very good, but I don't think I dreamed that up either.

National Bohemian, a famous Baltimore brew, is now brewed in Milwaukee. Same bready taste that hints at desperation as when brewed in Charm City.

I had a Bass "lager" (lager?) on the beach the other day that was brewed in Latrobe, PA. I'm guessing after AB Inbev purchased Rolling Rock, it figured it could brew damn near everything in the glass lined tanks. And the famous Bass Ale, seen in Renoir paintings and brought on Arctic expeditions is now brewed in the U.S. "in the tradition" of Bass Ale. InBev ruined a great ale.

Of course, Fosters is brewed in Canada (g'day, eh?) and most Japanese brews are from Canada here in the U.S. too.

Picked up a sixer of Ballantine IPA and it appears to be actually brewed by the Ballantine Co. I will drink a few (7.3 percent alcohol) and investigate further.

InBev and SABMiller have over 200 brands between them and further mergers seem likely among big brewers.

National Bohemian, a famous Baltimore brew, is now brewed in Milwaukee. Same bready taste that hints at desperation as when brewed in Charm City.

I had a Bass "lager" (lager?) on the beach the other day that was brewed in Latrobe, PA. I'm guessing after AB Inbev purchased Rolling Rock, it figured it could brew damn near everything in the glass lined tanks. And the famous Bass Ale, seen in Renoir paintings and brought on Arctic expeditions is now brewed in the U.S. "in the tradition" of Bass Ale. InBev ruined a great ale.

Of course, Fosters is brewed in Canada (g'day, eh?) and most Japanese brews are from Canada here in the U.S. too.

Picked up a sixer of Ballantine IPA and it appears to be actually brewed by the Ballantine Co. I will drink a few (7.3 percent alcohol) and investigate further.

cant ever remember seeing international/India pale at that vol before ...

Last edited:
Yea, he was probably lying to me. After all, what would he know about his own product?

Not necessarily lying, but perhaps a misunderstanding or misinformed.

People that work for companies are not immune to misinformation, misunderstanding, or just flat out rumor mill. I certainly get a good chuckle out of the rumor mill where I work. I can't cant keep track of all the times the plant was allegedly closing, or the executives were coming to clean house, or some of the product line was being moved to another facility, etc., etc., etc.

At a nice Asian restaurant ordered a new to me Japanese 'import.' Bottle said brewed and bottled in US by Busch.

it really must be put down to the implications of transport :scratch2:... i know some wines don't travel well ..:scratch2::D

There was a time when Bass ale was one of my favorite ales. The qualities in that beer were due to the hard water with high calcium, unique to Burton on Trent. Unless they start importing the brew water then Bass Ale here in the US will never be Bass Ale

Michelob has a higher barley to rice ratio.

Back when I drank (70's 80's), Michelob tasted totally different from Bud. That bottle sure made a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom