Belles Aria or Krell S-3001

Discussion in 'New Gear - Performance' started by 2channel*, Apr 1, 2017.

1. 2channel*

2channel* AK Subscriber Subscriber

I heard the Belles Aria integrated (not with my speakers) and really liked it. Like is not equal to love; but close and I bet it sounds better with my speakers. I'm seriously considering buying it from a brick & mortar; although it's about twice my original budget at $1,900 (+7% in NJ). No returns but I bet that's negotiable.

I see a Krell S-300i posted for $1,200, no tax, probably $75 shipping. It has balance control. My left ear sometimes goes dim.

Large room, 3-way towers (Canton), my taste is neutral to bright with lotsa nuance (microdynamics?) and a big, distinct stage. Digital and vinyl. I don't really believe it matters what kind of music I listen to; but the answer is everything anyway.

Your informed opinion is welcome. You have no liability. No lectures about 'whatever sounds better to you', please. ;^)

PS. I'm really impatient.

2. thymanst

thymanst Minnesota morning Subscriber

I've heard the Krell several times and it punches above sts weight class - great Krell bass and will drive most any speaker

stish, nyhifihead and 2channel* like this.
  3. 2channel*

Thanks, thymanst!
    That's Krell 1; Belles 0 so far. Keep 'em coming.

4. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Super Member

My friend who I got into stereos (sold him his first system, an adcom 535 and psb alphas 20 years ago) really likes his 300i.

5. nyhifihead

nyhifihead Active Member

go the with krell, they drive all speakers effortlessly

stish likes this.
  6. crouse

crouse Poorly known member Subscriber

I haven't heard your two choices, but I have the same issue with my left ear. I find that I often use the balance control to even out the sound. In fact, I would not buy a pre-amp or integrated without a balance control.

7. 2channel*

That's Krell 4, Belles 0!
    Has anyone heard the Belles?

8. 2channel*

I fear you are right. I tried headphones tonight and the left ear was really off.

9. JohnMichael

JohnMichael Super Member

I have enjoyed my Krell S-300i for about 7 years. It drives any speaker I own. Not bright but detailed and good soundstaging. I have never tired of this integrated amp as I have lesser amps in the past. I bought this as my last int. amp and it will be. Currently driving Mobile Fidelity OML 1's which can be tough for lesser amps.

2channel* likes this.
  10. 2channel*

Thanks, JM. That's Krell 5; Belles 0 - but no one who's heard the Belles.
    I've eliminated it because of the no balance/bad ear issue.
    I asked if I could audition a Krell KAV-300 on sale nearby. No reply.
    So how about Krell S-300i vs. Primare I32?

11. 2channel*

So, the gentleman selling the KAV-300 did reply after a while, but by that time I had succumbed to the allure of the Primare. Holy Schiit! I am so happy and so are my Canton Ergo 1002DCs. It's hard to describe what I'm hearing. The best I can do is that it's like going from a painting to a diorama. I am also hearing subtle bass lines that I didn't know were even there. I can't play my recordings fast enough.

stish, ranch 22b and WhiteSE like this.
  12. WhiteSE

WhiteSE Is Lute Gluten Free?? Subscriber

Primare makes good Schiit!

2channel* and stish like this.
  13. 2channel*

Can there be such a thing as too vivid? Or more realistic than the real thing?

14. MarZutra

MarZutra Super Member

If I'm not mistaken Ds suggested a pair of the Belles MA500 monos to me a while back. I've heard the Belles and they are very nice amps. If I'm not mistaken, I believe they aren't quite as known or have the same regard as the Krell however I'd put them on solid footing. If I'm not mistaken you can get a nice Belles amp for under 5 bills. Of course the more power the more money. I've never heard their integrateds....

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017