Beovox MS150 speakers Bang & Olufsen Any Good? How much would you pay for them?

G7Trader

Whats the most you would pay for these?

I currently have Beovox S45 & S75.

Do the beovox MS150 sound any good?

These were the TOTL speaker B&O had to offer at the time, and I believe the lower driver was actually a subwoofer. I've never actually heard them, but had the opportunity to get a pair which needed new surrounds for free on CL a couple of weeks ago. Blew that one, as I couldn't make it in time to pick them up.
The last price I saw a pristine pair go for was a little more than 4 Franklins.

How much is 4 franklins?

Saw one sell a few days ago on ebay for £620 the woofers were'nt original they had been replaced and fabric was not original either, new speaker cloth.

It was top of range in 1980 not late 1970's when it was the Beovox M100, below that was Beovox S75 which I have and am selling.

Saw one sell a few days ago on ebay for £620 the woofers were'nt original they had been replaced and fabric was not original either, new speaker cloth
Sorry about the Franklin reference, no way to tell what country you were from by your post.
I wouldn’t touch them at that price without researching the brand of speaker used as replacements. FYI, these sold new in the early 80s for around £700.

£749 in 1982 based on Beocentral.com which is the site I check for all vintage B&O.

That seems like a very cheap speaker to me its about £2,000 in todays money which is cheap considering the pair have 4 bass drivers, large cabinet 2 mids and 2 tweeters.

Now a days for £2,000 you'd just about get a decent Bose sound bar and woofer.

Were B&O reasonably priced in the 1980's or was their top of range not very speacial in sound quality?

Their current range includes Beolab 90 £60,000.

My Beovox S75 are only a little better than average speakers not a big difference.

£749 in 1982 based on Beocentral.com which is the site I check for all vintage B&O.
If one had the patience to wait a year, one would be able to save a few quid, as these cost £695 in 1983. With such a price cut, they must not have sold well.
At those European prices, you'd be better off flying to the States for a holiday and purchase the Bose while you're here.

If one had the patience to wait a year, one would be able to save a few quid, as these cost £695 in 1983. With such a price cut, they must not have sold well.
At those European prices, you'd be better off flying to the States for a holiday and purchase the Bose while you're here.

Modern Bose sound quality never impressed me much.

The Beovox MS150 is bigger brother of Beovox M150. Only difference I can see is one less woofer but double tunnel to replace it.

And from around 1983 thats when Bang & Olufsen ended their wooden speaker cabinets and started making plastic and aluminium cabinets and smaller speakers this is when the Vintage B&O era ends.

Everything from this point is down hill with the exception of Beolab 5 very impressive speaker realeased in 2004.

The lower woofer in the MS150 is actually a subwoofer.
Too bad I wasn't able to pick up those free speakers. It would have been worth it for you to fly over to sunny Los Angeles to pick them up for a fraction of their European cost!

The lower woofer in the MS150 is actually a subwoofer.
Too bad I wasn't able to pick up those free speakers. It would have been worth it for you to fly over to sunny Los Angeles to pick them up for a fraction of their European cost!

The first woofer is mid bass the one below I think is even lower bass just more lower bass cross over. Also the woofer below is 2 inches bigger. Look on google images MS150 very complicated cross over with diodes never seen diodes in speaker cross over below.

Theres a youtube vid recently a guy picked up Beovox M100 for under $100 in Amstadam. Called Beovox M100 score.

The first woofer is mid bass the one below I think is even lower bass just more lower bass cross over. Also the woofer below is 2 inches bigger.
You are correct, the upper driver is a mid-woofer, but the lower driver is actually a Peerless subwoofer. Also, the entire 64 litre interior volume of the MS150 is dedicated to the subwoofer alone. The mid-woofer, mid and tweeter have their own separate enclosures.
I did see the schematic of the crossover and I've never seen a speaker with diodes. Now that I think about it, this is not just a speaker. It's a speaker + a subwoofer in a single enclosure, and I've seen some subwoofer crossovers with diodes.
The M100 for under $100 was indeed a score. Unfortunately, Bang & Olufsen products are not highly thought of in the States. They are unfairly considered on a par with Bose products. I like them though, and own an unrestored Beomaster 8000 , Beocord 1500 De Luxe and a Beolab Terminal. One day I'll get them all working properly

this is incredible, the UK is home to some of the finest speaker and drivers in the universe.

I'd spend little/some/moderate/lots of money on anything with KEF on the inside or outside.
You can probably find a pair of LS3/5As for low bucks anywhere in the isles.

btw if you change the woofers, the grill, the cabinets, the crossovers, the labels on back,
the tweeters, the stuffing, and the size of the cabinets, is it still the same speaker?

as I mentioned in another thread, these KEF and other british speakers used butyl/rubber
surrounds and unlike, say American speakers with their 10 year foams, do not come apart
disintegrate or need replacement.

Those original LS3/5A sold for $300 here in the US and probably well under 200 pounds
(due to better exchange rates) and here in the US, they now command 3K and more.

It's like mullard el34s (XF2), numbers going down daily even with modern day clones
of both.

unless you're building a visual stack and have to have one and only one vendor,
then you might consider best of breed.

I recently sold a 7/10 pair that was listed in Bartertown. Sale price was $450. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/b-o-beovox-ms-150.780926/
They were a better speaker for jazz/classical, with a very mellow, laid back sound (almost too laid back). I rescued them from a couple college students who had them on plastic milk crates for the princely sum of $75. One had fallen over, cracking the crossover board. It took a couple years to find a new XO, drivers and stands. The difficult to find stands are required, as the tuned port is on the bottom of these speakers. Quality of the drivers and cabinets were outstanding, with all Scandinavian drivers (Vifa domes IIRC). The crossovers were extremely complex, with overload LED warning lights on the front. Overall I would say they were sonically disappointing in comparison to my other speakers, at the time, which included the JBL L100t3 and ADS L1530.

Back
Top Bottom