Best 1970's Vintage Speakers for $200 or less

Jon1964

Hello:

I am wondering what 1970's vintage speakers are the best sounding, which can be often obtained for $200 or less per pair in at least good and ready to go condition, and not needing new foam surrounds or other work to make them function properly. I am looking for floor speakers. The bigger the better. To be run by a 35 to 65 watt solid state vintage receiver.

Ideas?

Last edited:
Top of my list would be:

Polk Audio Monitor Series Model 7.

earlypolkfamilyportrait.jpg

This is an interesting topic, and I think under $200 is in most people's price range. I'm interested to see what people say...bump.

The Polk Modle 7's are very good. If I had space I would pick up a set myself. :yes:

Not particularly. Just search "Polk Audio" and see what pops up; the Monitor 5 and Monitor 10 are also nice (as, to be honest, are many other Polk models up to and including some of their current production).

That's a good price range to find lots of well regarded speakers out there. The main thing is that it will be dependent on what's available in any given area at any given time and how quick one can react to an ad coming up on CL, something for "pick up only" n Ebay, a newspaper ad, or being quick to snag something at the local GW and thrift stores. I've found some of my best speakers in that price range and below that I was/am overjoyed to come across them. Some of them I gave an insane amout of low to no money for including a pair of Infinity Quantum 3's for ONE dollar. :D And many more... The only pair of speakers I've spent over $200/pr on was a pair of 1978 Klipschorns at $500....but how could one pass that up?

It's just being at the right place at the right time. I seemed to come across them when I wasn't looking for them.

The best advice yet.

That's a good price range to find lots of well regarded speakers out there. The main thing is that it will be dependent on what's available in any given area at any given time and how quick one can react to an ad coming up on CL, something for "pick up only" n Ebay, a newspaper ad, or being quick to snag something at the local GW and thrift stores.
There's so many great speakers out there but you just can't go to a catalog and order them like they were brand new. Lurk a awhile, get some ideas and keep your eyes open. IF you set your heart on one or two, you might have to wait a long time for them to appear and don't forget, their prices are not set in stone. A wise seller will go for what the market will bear.

That's a good price range to find lots of well regarded speakers out there. The main thing is that it will be dependent on what's available in any given area at any given time and how quick one can react to an ad coming up on CL, something for "pick up only" n Ebay, a newspaper ad, or being quick to snag something at the local GW and thrift stores. I've found some of my best speakers in that price range and below that I was/am overjoyed to come across them. Some of them I gave an insane amout of low to no money for including a pair of Infinity Quantum 3's for ONE dollar. :D And many more... The only pair of speakers I've spent over $200/pr on was a pair of 1978 Klipschorns at $500....but how could one pass that up?

It's just being at the right place at the right time. I seemed to come across them when I wasn't looking for them.

Thanks. My idea was to put together a reference list so if I see one on the list pop up I will know if that speaker is one to act on. I was told by an employee at my local GW they had about 5 hardcore guys patrolling for stereo gear, and visited often. I go there maybe once or twice a week. My only find in six or seven months since starting was a pair of Realistic Nova 7B, which I grabbed. The only other semi-interesting peices I saw were a late 80's-early 90's Onkyo Dual Cassette Deck, and a 1990 Onkyo CD player (missing the remote). Otherwise no other local bargain finds, and I'm too busy to map garage sales. So, I'm stuck with Craigslist and ebay.

1970 Sansui SP-2000s. $100-$125 for a nice pair. Plus shipping - $65.

But listen to them first! The electronics are 40 years old. The speakers are pretty bullet proof.

Also if you don't want the 'big box' speakers, 1970 Sansui AS-100s but they are not easy to find, but it you do, your lookin at $65 and they sound really nice!

A friend of mine has 1970 Sansui SP-200s and really loves em. They are the smaller brother of the 2000s but still have the big box and the big box sound.

I have both the 2000s and AS-100s and am very satisified with the sound. Nice speakers.

All have Alnico magnets.

Listen to them first!

As I am... but anyway.How about some hpm-100s if you could find a pair needing a little work like refoaming or refinishing.

1970 Sansui SP-2000s. $100-$125 for a nice pair. Plus shipping - $65.

But listen to them first! The electronics are 40 years old. The speakers are pretty bullet proof.

Also if you don't want the 'big box' speakers, 1970 Sansui AS-100s but they are not easy to find, but it you do, your lookin at $65 and they sound really nice!

A friend of mine has 1970 Sansui SP-200s and really loves em. They are the smaller brother of the 2000s but still have the big box and the big box sound.

I have both the 2000s and AS-100s and am very satisified with the sound. Nice speakers.

All have Alnico magnets.

Listen to them first!

Thanks for the input. My main vintage stereo brands of personal interest are Sansui and Marantz. Good to hear... No pun intended...

HPM 100 I found my 1st pair for $45.00 at a garage sale 2nd pair on C.L. for $60.00 You just have to keep looking they are out there

There's so many great speakers out there but you just can't go to a catalog and order them like they were brand new. Lurk a awhile, get some ideas and keep your eyes open. IF you set your heart on one or two, you might have to wait a long time for them to appear and don't forget, their prices are not set in stone. A wise seller will go for what the market will bear.

Thanks. I do have a few models in main interest. Want to develop a list of good alternatives so if I see them for a good deal I'll know when to act. Then be semi-satisfied with those, and keep dreaming about my main interests...

Hello:

I am wondering what 1970's vintage speakers are the best sounding, which can be often obtained for $200 or less per pair in at least good and ready to go condition, and not needing new foam surrounds or other work to make them function properly. I am looking for floor speakers. The bigger the better. To be run by a 35 to 65 watt solid state vintage receiver.

Ideas?

I can't help but observe that you're eliminating a lot of very fine speakers from consideration by insisting that they be in ready-to-use condition, without needing foam surround replacement or other work. EPI, for example, made a number of floor-standing speakers, many of which would need only a surround replacement to work like new.

As I am... but anyway.How about some hpm-100s if you could find a pair needing a little work like refoaming or refinishing.

The right speaker with refoaming could do. The intent of this post was to find out what performs well, can be bought at a low price - ready to go, and hasn't rocketed in price. Yet.

I have three areas in the house to fill with: A Realistic Vintage System, a vintage system of perhaps Marantz and Sansui, and a vintage Akai system - I have a 1980 CSM01A tape deck I got for my 16th birthday in 1980, which I want to build a year correct system around.

Last edited:
I got Pioneer 2pr HPM-100, 1pr CS-99a, 1pr HPM-1100. Each pair $200 and all in good shape. I was interested in Pioneer brand because I wanted to compare to existing CS-99aa (original owner - kinda rare and sorta controversial). To me there is not much difference in sound. I like all of them.

Once you have a set of speakers you can wait for a deal.

To me there is more to this than sound, it is a fun hobby, I enjoy the process of collecting a Pioneer system.

Back
Top Bottom