Best 1970's Vintage Speakers for $200 or less

If you go with current trending market value, and not some "score type acquisition price, there are a few nice options. The OP suggested the Polk Monitor 7's and I would add Monitor 10's to that. A few of the EPI's 100, M-150 etc. The AR2ax flirts with that $200 price point. Several KLH models are sublime including the 17. The KLH Model Five seems to go most often around $250 but I have seen plenty go for $200 range and it would probably be my goal in the $200 market category. Same with the ADS L710. It seems pretty easy to find good Paradigms for $200 or less for whatever reason. Great for the $.

$400 is my typical price point on speaker purchasing. All the speakers listed in my Sig line were obtained for that or less.

blownsi, I am finding your comment somewhat the case. There have been several one off models from many of the above listed speakers on CL but the condition is varies widely. A near mint pair of Yamaha NS-100's, not NS-1000's, for $275. Pioneer HPM 60's for $200 with pushed in woofer dust covers, otherwise look fairly clean.

It often appears if it has a vintage name, sansui boston marantz etc many think they have a hidden treasure and price anything above a reasonable price. I do not even find the exotics and I live in one of the 10 largest cities in the country. I think the internet has almost done away with walking in and finding something in great condition the folks simply are selling. I am sure there are exceptions but that seems to be just it, an exception. No judgement in the statement just seems to be the case.

Changed my post after realizing criterea of 70's speakers. ADS 780 is from 80's. How about KLH fives, Ohm C2. Will need recap if not done by now.
Even with the bay setting retail price for vintage items, with dedication of time looking, buys can be found in some local markets, at much less.

Last edited:
Infinity Qb, an 89 dB, 15-150 watt, three way, acoustic suspension speaker, with a 10" woofer and an EMIT tweeter.

I'll second the ADS L710 and 810 (but I recall that they are 80's speakers).

Infinity Qb, an 89 dB, 15-150 watt, three way, acoustic suspension speaker, with a 10" woofer and an EMIT tweeter.

I'll second the ADS L710 and 810 (but I recall that they are 80's speakers).

I have a pair of RS-5b (on paper similar to Qb) and I like those very much, although I believe that those are 80s speakers as well

I'm curious barring a thrift store score if you could realistically get them in ready to play condition for the OP's price constraints though (I mean, mine were well under budget but the thrift store gods were smiling on me that day, and I did have to do some foam and deoxit)

Some that come to mind that sold for $200, remember markets vary wildly and getting the same speakers for 200 may or may not happen. You could pay less.

Anyway: Dahlquist DQ-10s new grille cloth, new caps, no stands but little feet. 2nd pair, cost more but sold off a few pieces to make the all in way less with the crossover and sub. Time Windows and maybe some others. Just have to be lucky to get the deals.

Last edited:
1970 Sansui SP-2000s. $100-$125 for a nice pair. Plus shipping - $65.

But listen to them first! The electronics are 40 years old. The speakers are pretty bullet proof.

Also if you don't want the 'big box' speakers, 1970 Sansui AS-100s but they are not easy to find, but it you do, your lookin at $65 and they sound really nice!

A friend of mine has 1970 Sansui SP-200s and really loves em. They are the smaller brother of the 2000s but still have the big box and the big box sound.

I have both the 2000s and AS-100s and am very satisified with the sound. Nice speakers.

All have Alnico magnets.

Listen to them first!

I also have a pair of recapped Sansui SP-2000s and I agree that they sound quite nice (after the recap). I also have a pair of EPI M110s and a pair of ADS L-710s and they both sound fantastic in their own way.

Of what I have the Wharfedale W70D comes the closest to being a stand alone pair. The others have to much of their own thing going, except the Dynaco 40XL. Good for house music that Dynaco is. But the Wharf has the giddy-up from bottom to top.
After a tweeter swap of course.

I have not read the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned DLK's
Usually you can fins some 1 1/2's for under $200 sometimes even model 2's...

Back
Top Bottom