Best 5693 tubes ever?

David Politi

Hey gang,

I've got a pair of the fancy version of the 6SJL tubes, repacked as GE.

Can someone, anyone, tell me what would be a good competitor to this tube? For example, if I wanted to spend $10 up or down market, what would I get?

David

Attachments

• IMG_5836.jpg
    IMG_5836.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 36
I assume you mean 6SJ7, which is a sub for the 5693 pictured. I'm not really familiar with these but the two mega dealers near me, who each have warehouses with many millions of tubes, list both of these between $10 and $18. Usually, they'll send you whatever brand you choose if they have them in stock.

The original RCA "red base 5693" was designed for military use originally. The red color was a lighter red if color and i am not sure if your GE just looks darker. It is rumored that GE made RCA's red base series of tubes so having a GE marked version is not unusual. What is unusual is the black number on the base. It was usually painted on the side of the tube.

GE invented the octal metal tubes. They sold it to RCA for production of metal tubes, later GE did make there own metal tubes. Only RCA made the red base and red body tubes 5691 5692 5693 and 5690 they were all made at the same RCA plant and they were only made there. RCA sold these to other tube manufactures. I would have to look though my TCA collection to get more detailed

More info. I was wrong about where these were made 5693 was made at Harrison NJ plant. The glass red base types were made at Woodbridge plant. This info is from the Dowd-RCA Archive a holding of the AWA museum

Too bad
I passed through Harrison and Woodbridge this morning and nary a tube to be found
I am sure plenty in the local landfill. All you need is a permit , about 100 workers to sift the trash and a huge azz backhoe and "PROFIT!!!"

And if you think I am crazy (Maybe I Am , Maybe I Am Not)

Look at what these dudes did to find some old Atari gaming carts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

Frannie

Last edited:
Unrelated to this thread, I just wanted to welcome you to Audiokarma and tell you that your avatar is cool. :)

Back
Top Bottom