Best budget noise isolating earphones

Eastham

More Class-A than ever!
Hey all.

I'm looking for a decent sounding pair of earphones or small over ear's that can cancel out sound for use on the train/ bus, I love the Apple 6S headphones that I stole of my sister :rolleyes: but the buzy noise of people coughing and droaning of bus engines means I can't hear my tunes, even with the volume cranked on my phone! I was wonderin' if some of you could give me some opinions in the £50 mark, not penny pinching I swear! I'm just cripplingly poor... I could probably add another 10 to that but I'd really like to stay under if possible, ain't got much for audio equipment after buying food, paying bill's, 'n' such :( that could be changing soon though! :D so far best I've come up with are the Shure SE112's. The music I listen to tends to air on the side of rock and metal, so I'm looking for a mid rangey slightly on the trebley side sound with decent bass, bass good enough to keep up with constant drum beats but not so overpowering the pluck of a bass guitar is going to drown everything else out, like the pair of cheap no name headphones I bought a few years back... all mid range and bass with no treble, sounded awful...

Thanks!

ATH-M30x or maybe the ATH-M40x if they are under 50 pounds.

Maybe the Sony 7506s if they are under 50. They can be a little edgy with lead guitars.

I just got some of the ath-40x and like them alot. Really block out the noises around you. Sound great but I for sure haven't listened to many new pairs that are out there. They sound great for the money! Very smooth with good bass but not over the top.

Thanks for the suggestions all, I'm pretty interested in the ATH-M30x's, just a little concerned they may be a little bulky for use on the go.

A friend of mine is starting to travel a lot for work. I told him to try the Mee Audio M6 Pro before his trip to Tokyo. They're $50 and he said they were perfect on the plane. Blocked out more than enough of the jet noises.

I have the M6s and the Brainwavez Deltas and both are better than I thought a budget IEM could be. The Delta is more balanced while the M6 has a fuller bottom end.

I'd recommend either without hesitation to someone that wanted to try an IEM that was $50 or less. They will provide nearly as much isolation as any headphone without an active noise reduction circuit.

These are obviously going to be on the bigger side... but these / various rebrands get good reviews on head-fi... and are in budget with removable cable and folding ear cups should be fairly~ manageable on the go.

blah blah blah... LyxPro HAS-30 ~40quid
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LyxPro-HAS...1486270904&sr=8-24&keywords=studio+headphones

if you do go the AudioTechnia route... I would encourage you to save up a few pounds and spring for the M40X over the 30X as the 40 would be much more travel friendly with the rotating ear cups... and removable cable. I wear my M50X's out and about sometimes.. and it is nice to be able to fold the ear cups and put them around my neck ..

earphones might be easier to manage I suppose.. i just don't like earphones personally.

edit.. Oh yeah.. I own the Sony V6's (which I prefer to the 7506's) these don't make very good portable headphones stock if I'm honest .. the do fold up but the ear cups don't rotate which kinda blows.. but more detrimental to on the go use.. is the long fixed coiled cable... I finally modded my V6's as the coiled cable really weighs down the left side and I got sick of it...
mdrV6_3.jpg

Last edited:
The in-ear SkullCandy 'Smokin Buds' is what I wear when mowing.
Then there's the Polk Buckle. They unfortunately have flaky cable syndrome despite the phones themselves being pretty much indestructible.
The $35 Panasonic RP-HTX7-K1 doesn't really reach into frequency extremes but their metal cups make them a good lawn mower operation headphone too.

I'm like these Sennheiser cx-300ii that I just got for 30$ almost completely blocked out a room of women and children.

Klipsch R6i, 179 list but you can find them on amazon for around $60, cant remember the name of the place but they are not chinese rip offs, ear buds that come with different sized ear pieces so if you get the size that fits well inside your ear they block a load of background out.
Klipsch R6i In-Ear Headphones, search amazon.

Last edited:
Is there a walkthrough available for the mod ?
Im seriously debating buying a pair of these based on your posts. Thanks.

My wife used to live in Tokyo, and traveled all over the world for work. I used to meet her all over the world once a month when we were dating. I used a pair of velodyne vquiet on all those flights. I got them on close out for $30. Slept like a baby with them every time. The noise canceling batter life lasted flights from Vegas to Tokyo, with layovers easily.

Philips SHB8750NC/27 Wireless active Noise Canceling Headphones. Price has gone up since I bought mine for $35.00. I think you can still find them at Walmart at that price. Amazon wants $62.00. Great range for a BT pair, very good sound and an active NC that works. Sorry for the bold type. It was a cut and paste that continued in bold for my comments.

I usually prefer noise isolating headphones because they are capable of drowning out all outside sound, up to a noise reduction rate of around 25 or 30 decibels (dB). They cut out the sound around you so you can hear your music, and only your music. A good pair should also keep the sound of your music contained within the ear, so others around you can’t hear it.

Thank's for the input everyone, sorry for the lack of an update. I actually went with a pair of Brainwavz Deltas and they're very good!

A friend of mine is starting to travel a lot for work. I told him to try the Mee Audio M6 Pro before his trip to Tokyo. They're $50 and he said they were perfect on the plane. Blocked out more than enough of the jet noises.
I have a set of these and can confirm they do a great job of isolating noise on an airplane. Good bass a maybe a little narrow in soundstage but like british speakers the detail reveals itself after a bit. They come with a nice case and a inline mic cable along with a great assortment of tips. If your using a dap instead of a phone for source it will store in the case.

Back
Top Bottom