Best budget turntable?

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by ClpshHrn, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

These are working in my house right now, all purchased within the last 5 yrs, most within the last 2, the Technics within the last 8months.

I just posted a KD550 for $333 that's for sale on eBay, these tables can still be purchased for these prices, or do you not believe the ad?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. M Chavez

M Chavez Active Member

The 500 cult is based on a myth thanks to great marketing and the fact that it came arm less - you should listen to the ones that Kenwood did re-brand and sell WITH the nondescript stock arm typical of most Japanese mid-fi tables back in the day - eh - very typical Japanese mid-fi manual deck
    Kenwood never even built a turntable just stuck their name on a few

Micro Seiki built nearly all of Kenwood branded high end and pro stuff - when you work on them that becomes immediately apparent

3. M Chavez

M Chavez Active Member

Why'd you edit out your accusation that I called you a liar?
    You need a friend dude

4. sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw AK Subscriber Subscriber

Do you have a table to suggest that is relevant to the OP? Would be interested in the thread being more on course, as I have interest in the subject matter and am subscribed to the thread.

ClpshHrn and Grenadeslio like this.
  5. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Now who's bashing?

I really could care less who built the table, it's an outstanding work of art that plays beautiful music that's all that matters.

6. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

I think you need the friend seeing things that aren't there lol.

Check my avatar, that's my girlfriend, nuff said lol.

7. M Chavez

M Chavez Active Member

There's a least 5 that I know of right here right now, just look at the turntable forum table of contents
    Here's one to get you started, pretty sure one of my practical table picks is in here, maybe two:
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ntable-or-repair-my-vintage-jvc-again.851977/

8. M Chavez

M Chavez Active Member

Wow, classy, I'm sure she appreciates that

9. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

She does thank you. My lady is very proud of how great she looks at 56yrs young.

10. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

One must first read the OP's original post to know what the thread content is about.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  11. sunvalleylaw

I am interested in your information, and am new to all this. Thanks for linking the other thread. If you had a chance to listen the other 3 or 4 depending on how many are in this other thread, I would love it if you would share.

12. M Chavez

M Chavez Active Member

Just read the threads dude
    Peace out

13. sunvalleylaw

good night.

14. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

Just FYI, you aren't the only one who will ever read this thread. Perhaps others will find my comments useful, even if you did not.

Luck has nothing to do with it. I do my research and then check out every table I buy in person before I purchase it. I know ahead of time common issues to look for, and what's involved in fixing them.

RTally likes this.
  15. M Chavez

M Chavez Active Member

Man you TOTALLY took that the wrong way, I was AGREEING WITH YOU
    I was saying you didn't need to convince ME
    Some of you dudes are way too sensitive about stuff that really doesn't matter, like personal preferences and stuff and read a bunch of stuff into things that isn't there
    I hope I don't get all freaked out over day to day when I'm 50 or 60
    Oh, and finding good deals on nice stuff does involve a lot of luck now, thanks to the net and flea bay, research or not

16. ClpshHrn

ClpshHrn Member

I honestly would be ok with something that required a little work to be put into it. Nothing extreme though. If it takes me a month to get the new table working properly then I just need my current table to last that long, and then it can retire. It all works out in the end :)

17. M Chavez

M Chavez Active Member

Kinda vague and different meaning for different people on the what exactly is 'extreme' deal but I'm feelin' ya
    Good luck

18. ClpshHrn

ClpshHrn Member

It becomes extreme when I need to replace nearly everything in the TT due to it all barely being in a functional state, and when the music stops flowing.

19. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

If you don't mind a manual table, an original Technics SL-1500 (not the later MkII that has the infamous cueing issue) is very easy to work on and requires very little in the way of periodic maintenance to keep it operating within spec. I'm moving one along to a fellow AKer tonight that has been completely serviced and ready for many more years of reliable, trouble free operation. In addition to being easy to work on, the complete lack or automation makes it the quietest table I have ever owned. It is dead silent during operation. It would be a very good table for someone just starting out who wants to learn how to service and maintain a table.

20. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

Not sure how you got "freaked out" from what I wrote. I am not and do not, in general get, "freaked out" about something that is a hobby. Just pointing out my post was not entirely for your benefit.

I just wanted to let others considering vintage Japanese direct drive turntables know that re-capping is rarely necessary and you don't need an engineering degree to perform basic routine maintenance on a vintage turntable.

What you call luck, I call due diligence.

Final_Baton, RTally and Grenadeslio like this.