best car of 80's votes

Ford Festiva was a rebadged Subaru Justy........
Well I'll be damned... Thanks for the info, Wolfie62. I checked images via Google prior to this post. The only thing Ford did was make the angle of the hatchback a bit less acute so as to increase rear passenger and trunk space.

Well I'll be damned... Thanks for the info, Wolfie62. I checked images via Google prior to this post. The only thing Ford did was make the angle of the hatchback a bit less acute so as to increase rear passenger and trunk space.
I used to live in Bermuda. Lots of those Fords....even more of the Subaru's. I had a 1984 Subaru 700. 2 cylinder flat. Half the boxer 1400 that Subaru used. Got over 50 mpg on that little Subaru 700!

Personally, I thought the Mustang 5.0s were POS cars. The larger displacement engine just didn't deliver the goods. It was all hype. Terrible gas mileage for all that weight and hype. Should have been able to output over 250 hp stock; didn't deliver any where near that. My 1991 Lincoln Towncar, the first model year with the 4.6 ltr V8, stock, develops 225 hp.

Personally, I thought the Mustang 5.0s were POS cars. The larger displacement engine just didn't deliver the goods. It was all hype. Terrible gas mileage for all that weight and hype. Should have been able to output over 250 hp stock; didn't deliver any where near that. My 1991 Lincoln Towncar, the first model year with the 4.6 ltr V8, stock, develops 225 hp.

Based on ET and trap speed for a typical 5.0 (stock) Mustang, which was around 14.1 @ 97 mph, for a 3300 pound car, that would indicate a power output of right around 225, which, while not earth-shaking, was still considerably an advantage of maybe 50 HP more than rival Camaros, Firebirds, `Vettes, etc. Let`s face it, power outputs were pretty dismal throughout the `80s....the Grand National/ GNX was the only offering from GM with any real balls....

My wife had a 1984 Camaro. I don't know which was worse. The 5.0 Mustang, or the Camaro. Both POS cars that didn't hold up. The Carter carb on the Camaro had issues, as did body parts, paint, transmission, clutch. My buddy had the Mustang. Kept it for 3 years and got rid of it.

Granted, cars were in a state of transition. Moving from carbs to TBI, to Multiport FI. Also, the mandated gas mileage stuff that we can thank California for.

If it weren't for the Japanese, American cars would still be POS. The Japanese raised the bar on just about everything.

If it weren't for the Japanese, American cars would still be POS. The Japanese raised the bar on just about everything.

True indeed. Aside from the 1989 Lexus... I can't think of any car of any brand that can still be seen driving around in decent shape. And by that I mean any car owned by a regular slob that uses the cars like a regular slob and by that I mean someone that abuses the shit out of the car.

EDIT... Toyota made the "best' cars of the 1980s if reliability is the yardstick.

But my personal favorite for looks is the crazy stupid 1981 Turbo Trans Am. It's the coolest car from that decade. If I hit the lottery, I will buy one and resto-mod it into the car it should have been.

Good luck with THAT!! The bodies didn't hold up. Personally, of all the Trans Am models, I liked the 1977 the best. I still remember driving the Special Edition when it was NEW. It had a great feel, smell, look, handling, and acceleration. 6.6 liter.

I kept my 1983 Dodge Charger, purchased new, until 2000. No problems with it. 210,000 miles on it when I gave it to Waterfront Rescue Missions to help a lady who had nothing and needed a good car to start her life over again. No rust. Engine was still top. Paint was still exceptional. Some wear on the upholstery was all. I drove the dog out of that car, but I took good care of it. Mobile 1 its entire life. Still got 38-42 mpg on the interstate, at 70 mph when I parted with it. Even used it to pull a U-Haul from Maryland to California. I was on my 5th set of tires when I donated it. Pirelli's.

I vote for:
'86-'87 Volkswagen Scirocco 16V
'85-'86 Audi Coupe GT
'89 Mercedes 300E

One of each I've owned - great cars...

One of my favorite "Pony cars" was, and is to this day the 87 Camaro Z28.

While one of my all-round favorite cars from those years was a GM stablemate, the 87 Buick Grand National GNX. With it's understated, But distinctive looks this car was a real sleeper. Probably their fastest production car in the years it was sold, Including both the Corvette and Camaro's.

An interesting econobox was the Dodge Omni GLH turbo. With 225 hp on tap, You had better be on the ball if you want to keep up in the Z28.

Last edited:
Good luck with THAT!! The bodies didn't hold up. Personally, of all the Trans Am models, I liked the 1977 the best. I still remember driving the Special Edition when it was NEW. It had a great feel, smell, look, handling, and acceleration. 6.6 liter.

I kept my 1983 Dodge Charger, purchased new, until 2000. No problems with it. 210,000 miles on it when I gave it to Waterfront Rescue Missions to help a lady who had nothing and needed a good car to start her life over again. No rust. Engine was still top. Paint was still exceptional. Some wear on the upholstery was all. I drove the dog out of that car, but I took good care of it. Mobile 1 its entire life. Still got 38-42 mpg on the interstate, at 70 mph when I parted with it. Even used it to pull a U-Haul from Maryland to California. I was on my 5th set of tires when I donated it. Pirelli's.

The 77 and 81 were essentially the same car. You like the Turbo! LOL

My all time favorite Trans Am is the SD 455 in white with blue trim.

I always loved the Trans Am with the Screaming Chicken on the hood.

Screaming FLAMING Chicken lol I wonder what pops up when you put "screaming flaming chicken" into google?

HA! First image:

70_white.jpg

One of my favorite "Pony cars" was, and is to this day the 87 Camaro Z28.

While one of my all-round favorite cars from those years was a GM stablemate, the 87 Buick Grand National GNX. With it's understated, But distinctive looks this car was a real sleeper. Probably their fastest production car in the years it was sold, Including both the Corvette and Camaro's.

An interesting econobox was the Dodge Omni GLH turbo. With 225 hp on tap, You had better be on the ball if you want to keep up in the Z28.

Those Bucks were awesome. I knew someone who had one and it was a cool car.

The Grand National was a sleeper. The Grand National GNX was a monster and very expensive and limited production! IT was going for many thousands over list if you could even get one. I think they made less than 600 of them in '87. Figure the price of a regular GN was like 18k and I think the GNX was going for triple or more.

The Grand National was a sleeper. The Grand National GNX was a monster and very expensive and limited production! IT was going for many thousands over list if you could even get one. I think they made less than 600 of them in '87. Figure the price of a regular GN was like 18k and I think the GNX was going for triple or more.

Apparently the chip that helped make the GNX a monster was available to some Grand National owners if they knew the right people. Perhaps some of the engineering or management staff at the plant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom