Best CONCERT ever seen.

I would have to say Barbara Streisand concert. Her first one in years....

It was an event. I had to wear a numbered wristband for days from Ticketmaster to signal my place in line when tickets went on sale. Never saw so many limo's for a concert.
Few singers can cradle a phrase with their voice like her, not to mention her top tier vocal virtuosity.

June 21, 2008..Billy Joel....Va Bch Amphitheater. One of my "bucket list" concerts. He didn't disappoint!

agreed!!

my 'best' in recent memory would be Kraftwerk in Kansas City, October 2015 and again in Dallas, September 2016- no way to communicate the power and mastery and total integration of artistic experience. on the other hand, i saw Hendrix in Hawaii August 1, 1970, and the Doors in 68 in Dallas and again in December 1970, about 10 rows center from the stage

Wow, that is a long & illustrious concert-going career! Hendrix in Hawaii.. I didn't even know he played Hawaii. Then the Doors! My compliments!

Once at a neighbor's party I met a woman whose father was involved in the management of RFK Stadium ('DC Stadium' at the time I think) so she and her friends got to go backstage and meet the Beatles. She even had photos--I got her to email copies to me--she must have been six or seven years old. I was like "Can I touch you?"

ETA: Oh wait, that didn't come out exactly right. I mean she must have been 6 or 7 back then, I mean during the concert, oh nvm...

Last edited:
I've been to probably 1000 shows, most all being in nightclubs. Saw Stevie Ray Vaughan 3 times in clubs before any of his records came out. For sheer amazement, they were tough to beat. The best performer, if you count showmanship and stage presence, probably Brian Setzer, 9:30 Club Christmas show. Another standout was a band I've seen a lot, but the one in an old opera house in West Virginia was a barn-burner. Southern Culture On The Skids had the crowd in a frenzy, they played two sets and a 45 minute encore. Rick Miller must of been trippin'. There's been so many, including U2 in a rec center, BB King, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, Roy Buchanan, Rory Gallagher, and on and on. I can't remember being blown away by anyone at big venues, the lack of intimacy cuts my enjoyment level back by a huge percentage.

For me for the whole experience it has to be Pink Floyd, 6 July 1977, Stade Olympique, Montreal. Managed to get dead centre on the floor about 25 rows back (general admission). What an absolutely crazy night that was.

Last edited:
Agree Yes was amazing. Didn’t even know who they were seeing them as warm up band before Led Zep in early ‘70s.

However seeing James Brown in 1965 was jaw dropping. Show was in a relatively small venue (Memorial Hall on UNC campus) with great acoustics and I was close to stage :music:

Dweezel Zappa's first tour of Zappa Plays Zappa. Unbelievable! 3 1/2 hours of non-stop, on-the-edge-of-your-seat musical intensity! I saw the man himself in '80, '84 and '88 and this one made a bigger impression...

King Crimson's reunion tour in '81 was pretty intense as well.

The Blues Brothers and the Grateful Dead closing out the famed Winterland Ballroom was another life changing event!

I have seen so many bands, even ones I didn’t really follow but went anyway. Musically the top two are likely Todd Rundgren in 1990 or so on the ‘Nearly Human’ tour I think it was. Top notch band he had for sure, all were real pros. I would also add AWBH at the University Of Portland Chiles Center around the same time roughly.

The best 2 shows visually were Kiss Love Gun tour and BOC in 1978 with full laser and pyro. Wow!

Most likely Yes in '77 (GFTO tour) in Indianapolis made the biggest impact on me. The best sounding/most enjoyable concert was Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited 2 in 2013. Simply incredible.

Saw both and agree! That Yes In The Round Tour was the first concert I ever went to with truly great sound, better than the best stereo I'd ever heard!

Missed Yes, but I did see Rick Wakeman, in a church in England on his Piano Tour. I guess that's my best small venue concert; about 200 seater.
Opposite end of the scale was Thunder/Ugly Kid Joe/Van Halen/Bon Jovi at Wembley Stadium. 70,000+. Good gig.
Best music? Rush. 1982 Euro-Tour, at Wembley Arena.
Best classical (so far) Edmonton Symphony Orchestra - Elgar/Enigma Variations.
Best bar band. Bodhi Tree - McP's Irish Pub, South Lake Tahoe, California

That Encore must’ve been insane!

No kidding. It was crazy. Crowd was all standing on their chairs. Other than the first half of Fade to Black where they gave us a chance to catch our breath, the three encores were a constant onslaught of some of their best “in your face” material. Left that venue dripping with sweat and damn near deaf.

J. Geils Band, Stanley Theater, Pittsburgh, PA. The night before the Steelers won their 3rd or 4th Superbowl, I forget which. Needless to say the town was electric to begin with, and the Bad Boys From Boston brought the house down. Opener was Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes.

Been to a lot of shows but the greatest concert I have ever attended was the original Mahavishnu Orchestra "Birds of Fire" tour 1973. King Crimson's "Larks Tongues" the same year runner up.

Saw Birds of Fire tour also - May 9, 1973, in Bal'mer at the Morris A. Mechanic Theatre - amazing stuff indeed!
[A couple years back, I found boots of that whole tour floating around - sadly, I don't know where they were now]
Missed Crimson's USA Tour but caught the early Discipline (double duo) tour, and the double trio later ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom