Best/Coolest Looking Tuners

nailer

audionerd
Subscriber
My top 3 are:

1) Day/Sequerra Studio/Reference Am excluding the original Sequerra due to it's red lights that show which swithces are engaged. These make it look too busy for me.

2)Yamaha CT7000B Super clean look. Has to have the wood cabinet.

3) SAE Mark Six One of the first, if not the first, with digital readout. On my top three due to way too cool Nixie tubes, and scope doesn't hurt either.

Last edited:
Marantz 10B: Timeless
Marantz10B.jpg

Scott 330. One of many nice Scott tuners:
Scott_330_(A).JPG

McIntosh MR-78
MR78.jpg

Last edited:
Best or best looking? Not the same, at all. Only judging from units I own, and avoiding any brief impressions of other gear:

Best = Accuphase T-109V
Best Looking = SAE Mk VIB.

Best = haven't tried enough of them to judge

Best looking = My Dad's HK TU-610 alway looked sharp to me

REL Precedent is a heck of an FM tuner; possibly the best of all. As to appearance, though... a bit of an acquired taste. Not homely though!

This one belongs to a local tube hi-fi guru.
RELPrecedent.jpg

I like the busy looks of "professional" type tuners. It's not an FM, but the Hallicrafters SX 122 is pretty cool.

I also like the Grundig Satellit 800.

Attachments

• sx122_2.jpg
    sx122_2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 423
  • 0800.jpg
    0800.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 339
I think the Kenwood 600T is the coolest looking tuner. You can't go wrong with this tuner since it is a top tier performer as well. Great meters and the best knobs I have ever played with.

Attachments

• Kenwood600T.jpg
    Kenwood600T.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 759
Coolest looking?

naturally

attachment.php

could be a Bauhaus design....

Helge

Attachments

• FM-3_a.jpg
    FM-3_a.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 3,562
Coolest looking: IMHO, the Dyna is minimalist to the point of being boring. The REL is okay, but I don't care for the monstrous P R E C E D E N T lettering. I'd love to give one a listen, though. I like the vintage Kenwood look (the 600T looks a lot like my KT-8300). I think the Sansui TU-x17 and TU-x19 lines were exceptional, as were the older TU-x900 models. That said, I think the coolest looking tuners are the Mitsubishi DA-F10 and DA-F20.

Magnum Dynalab

It;s funny you should say that I have just bought a Magnum Dynalab MD90. I went for the black version which is not really like me, my Nikon is chrome, but somehow this tuner looked right in black. Superb performance operating in a hilly part of Yorkshire wonderfully clear on all BBC Radio stations

Regards Kenneth England
Urizen said:
These Magnum Dynalab tuners look cool to me.

Back
Top Bottom