Best DAC/Setup for Tidal Streaming

RDSChicago

My listening these days is limited almost exclusively to streaming Tidal which is CD/FLAC quality. Is a high end DAC overkill for streaming music if I'm not downloading high res files?

Currently I have a $600 Audio-GD DAC, and M2Tech Young with outboard power supply and an MSB Link DAC with outboard power supply for three different systems I use. I read about the new Schiit Yiggy (don't know the spelling) but was wondering if I would see any improvement in sound if I am just streaming Tidal?

Thanks.

I use a Squeezebox to stream Tidal, and it is hooked to an old EAD DSP9000 MKIII which sounds quite good.

We all want to believe that perfect audio is possible, and right around the corner. I don't believe it is. Buy a nice DAC within your budget and enjoy listening to music.

If you are "just streaming tidal," I would seriously consider the $300 Meridian Explorer 2. It's the first DAC on the market to support Meridian's new MQA format which will allow the streaming of 24 bit audio. Tidal has already demoed it at shows and they will supposedly be implementing it in the service in the near future.

- Woody

I listen to Tidal as well as Spotify, I have a Aune T-1 tube DAC that works just fine for me. Granted its a beginner DAC but I like it. Sansui8080DB and LaScalas..

Don't for a minute assume a nice DAC is only beneficial with High Res downloads. Yes, Tidal would take advantage of a really nice DAC as much as any digital source would. The Meridian is likely a step down from what you have, and intended for portable use. Not that it isn't a good product, but I don't think this claim of Meridian special sauce in Tidal is really going to amount to much.

Thanks for the thoughts, Rolltide. Meridian announced this MQA codec and its integration into Tidal around one year ago. I too wonder why, if this was going to be such a watershed development into the high resolution music sector nothing has seemingly occurred as of yet. Does anyone have any updated information on whether MQA is going to pan out and if so, when?

I am having a difficult time keeping up...

Will MQA work with contemporary Dacs or will it require new hardware?

I am having a difficult time keeping up...

Will MQA work with contemporary Dacs or will it require new hardware?

It will require some kind of decoding. Who knows if someone will add on a small box the way that Schiit had for decoding DSD with their DACs. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

- Woody

It will require some kind of decoding. Who knows if someone will add on a small box the way that Schiit had for decoding DSD with their DACs. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

- Woody

MQA can be addressed through software - does not have to be a hardware device.

From https://community.roonlabs.com/t/tidal-to-launch-hi-res-audio-streaming-in-2016/5408/12
Pål Bråtelund -Tidal Strategic Partner Manager

At beginning, we will just transport MQA files (in FLAC wrapper) to external hardware that's supporting MQA decoding. But we will certainly also soft decode in the future also on desktop so you can enjoy MQA quality with any DAC. In mobile applications we will of course soft decode from launch.

To begin with it will be a rather limited offering of higher than redbook content, but eventually we will also run all our redbook content through as you then will lose the brickwalling artefacts and also get better and more accurate coding of the PCM itself.

For us it is more important that we do this right rather than have a vast catalogue of questionable character. Quality over quantity. As we go along we will fill up the tanks quicker and quicker.

I stream Tidal and Claasicsonline almost exclusively using a Melodius X8 usb converter into an Audio-GD Master7
The best I have ever heard my system. If you have the entry level Audio-GD with the 1704uk chip it should be terrific.
That is an excellent dac
Alan

Going to be streaming Tidal to my living room rig ... my internet connection is in my media room (Desktop PC). So I"m going to be connecting a Laptop to a Schiit Audio Modi 2 Uber Dac in the front room. Does it matter if the connection is Ethernet cable (wired) or home Wi - Fi? My net connection is DSL 12mbps download speed.

Currently I stream Netflix to the Dish Hopper DVR on Wi-Fi ... works fine.

Last edited:
Going to be streaming Tidal to my living room rig ... my internet connection is in my media room (Desktop PC). So I"m going to be connecting a Laptop to a Schiit Audio Modi 2 Uber Dac in the front room. Does it matter if the connection is Ethernet cable (wired) or home Wi - Fi? My net connection is DSL 12mbps download speed.

Currently I stream Netflix to the Dish Hopper DVR on Wi-Fi ... works fine.

Use Ethernet if at all possible. Tidal does not buffer very well and I get choppiness constantly with wi-fi. I am using Windows 8.1 laptop and desktop app.

Use Ethernet if at all possible. Tidal does not buffer very well and I get choppiness constantly with wi-fi. I am using Windows 8.1 laptop and desktop app.

I'll watch out for that ... I'll be using Windows 10 ... Tidal 320k AAC to start ... but would like to switch to Tidal CD quality at some point. Assuming that Ethernet would be a better option at that time.

Last edited:
I use my iPhone or iPad and stream via AirPlay to a Bryston BDP-1 music player that's hooked up to a Peachtree Decco65 (DAC/integrated)

I use Raumfeld Connector 2. It's a great device that uses a high-end D/A converter (24 bit/192 kHz) from Cirrus Logic. It comes with a great app that has built-in support for TIDAL. Just connect it to your network and line-in of your amplifier and you are ready to go!

Update on MQA from Tidal. Looks like early 2016, possible launch at CES. Mytek and Pioneer are on board now. I don't get the Tidal naysayers... I'm a huge fan.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/tidal-to-launch-hi-res-audio-streaming-in-2016

- Woody
I think there are doubts that Tidal can survive let alone compete with Spotify and Apple Music. There subscriber numbers are not good. There are rumblings that Apple will soon offer a lossless tier and that would most certainly spur Spotify to do the same.

Back
Top Bottom