Best Headphones in $200.00 range

Classical listener here, with another vote for Grado. I have the 80s and the 225s. 225i, I think mine are. For a time I thought I might upgrade to a higher model, but I have been so satisfied with what I have, I don't seem to be in any hurry to upgrade. A rock listener, I suppose, might have a different preference.

I have Grado 80 and PSB M4U1, both are great, the Grado 80 being less expensive. I recommend either with a slight preference for PSB as they are over the ear.

Thanks, didn't know that and always too late to the others. Really wanted a very comfy pair of headphones. Have a ton of headphones and joined this forum to switch to speakers because of ear pain :)

But these look comfy enough.

BTW, how did you mod the Dayton speakers? I want to buy exactly those with a tpa3116 and a fiio d03k and use this as an entry level hifi setup (spent the rest on the akg:))?

Cheers

Awesome stuff! Thanks for the info!

I think will probably do the same as I can get it here too (obv 30% more expensive:))

Cheers

Awesome stuff! Thanks for the info!

I think will probably do the same as I can get it here too (obv 30% more expensive:))

Cheers

Try the speakers first before you mod them. Stock, they're surprisingly good.

Will do exactly that!

Basically my choices for around 100E are wharfedale 10.1 and B652 Airs with the upgrade parts.

Decision decisions :)

So, why not just drive 300 - 600 ohm headphones directly off the speaker taps, bypassing the headphone jack entirely? Those padding resistors seem to do a good job at protecting modern headphones, but they make my orthodynamic phones pretty much impossible to drive... and a lot of my other high-impedance headphones don't sound very good either, and none of them have much volume to speak of.

Charles.

When I'm not using my HD600's I love love love my V-Moda XS. Check out Ty's review at InnerFidelity. They're fantastic, and easily beat out all other phones I tried in the price range, including some of the ones mentioned above.

What do you guys think of the Sennheiser Momentum On Ear Headphones? How would they compare to say, my AKG-K250 (Realistic Pro-50) or Koss HV/1's?

Charles.

I think any discussion of best $200~ headphone should include the beyerdynamic DT880's .. these are very nice headphones and among the most comfortable headphones in the world

for the first (???) not sure exactly how long years of their life they were beyer's flagship headphone and originally selling for much more than they do now..

a fairly balanced headphone and decent all arounder .. these pair quite nicely with warmer vintage amp / receivers and tube amps..

+1 on at least considering the 880s. I know they have like six models or the 880s and I've only heard two, but I'd say they are balanced with a big-ish bottom end and non-fatiguing highs.

Not everyone may like the looks or the style and they aren't lightweights, but they are very well designed and very comfortable. Extremely comfortable.

Do your research as to all the differences but some seller on Amazon had the 32 Ohm Premiums (I think) for just over $100 used very good. That's a HECK of a nice headphone for that kind of money. As atarione said, they aren't budget designs. They were quite a bit more expensive (like three or four times more expensive) than they are right now and they were well-received at those prices.

IMO the Philips x2 Fidelio should be included in your quest for superior headphones within that price range. But there are so many good choices in that range that it'll drive you batty. Sennheiser HD598, Sennheiser Momentum 2.0, ATH-M50x, Philips SHP9500, and even the Superlux HD668B among them. I prefer wireless and portability. So I usually buy quality headphones with detachable 3.5mm cables when I can as a mix with my wired phones. The Philips x2 Fidelio is such a phone. Then I attach a small Maceton BT 4.1 receiver with lossless APT-X containing an independent amp (about 5db across all frequencys) to the phones for superior sound. Works well for me. Effective range with the Maceton is about 12-15 feet. Sound quality varies with phone quality of course but significantly improves all. When Paired with the Fidelios it beats all that I own.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom