Best headphones without spending a fortune.!

DVjorge

Hi all,

I want to leave a testimony for those interested. A couple of months ago I wanted to buy a headphone for music. I didn't want to spend too much money on it, in fact, I wanted to be lower than $50. So, you may realize how hard is to get something really good at that price range. I began to read reviews of many headphones and after 3 days, I had decided one. Audio Technica ATH- M20X. People, I really advice everyone who be looking for a good pair of inexpensive headphones to go for it. Incredible sound for the price. I have been listening headphones most of my almost 40 years in the audio world, Grade, AKG, Sony Reference, Sennheiser, etc. I want to say that this Audio Technica is so good sounding that I don't think anybody could be unhappy with it. I paid $43.00 free shipping, an steal if you value the joy of listening to them. Hope someone gets my advice.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I want to leave a testimony for those interested. A couple of months ago I wanted to buy a headphone for music. I didn't want to spend too much money on it, in fact, I wanted to be lower than $50. So, you may realize how hard is to get something really good at that price range. I began to read reviews of many headphones and after 3 days, I had decided one. Audio Technica ATH- M20X. People, I really advice everyone who be looking for a good pair of inexpensive headphones to go for it. Incredible sound for the price. I have been listening headphones most of my almost 40 years in the audio world, Grade, AKG, Sony Reference, Sennheiser, etc. I want to say that this Audio Technica is so good sounding that I don't think anybody could be unhappy with it. I paid $43.00 free shipping, an steal if you value the joy of listening to them. Hope someone gets my advice.

I think if a person looks outside the realm of forums such as this one, head-fi, and others, you would find a lot of people who really appreciate what some of the "lower tiers" of those headphone companies offer. The AT you mentioned, the AKG K52, K72 and K92, heck even the Sennheiser HD201's (full disclosure - I have these) all offer up good sound at a low price.

On the other hand, that also takes you into the land of the over-priced "beats" type of headphones, so maybe there is a balance in a way.

Anyway, I agree with you. Sometimes we let the pursuit of "perfection" get in the way of the enjoyment of "good".

What was the old saying? Something like "Great is the enemy of good"?

I have the ATH-M50s and have had the M40xs and the M30xs which were just fine in the 'fun' category. I assume the 20x isn't too radically far behind.

The Superlux 681 EVOs are pretty amazing for the money which is $45 if you want them in a day or two or $35 from Gearbest if you don't mind waiting three-ish weeks. The sound is easily better than the ATH-M50s to my ears and is basically neutral with a bump in the bass. Mids and highs are exceptional for the price range. The build quality is OK, but doesn't inspire confidence that they will last a decade.

Last edited:
I have a set of those Monoprices. They are OK if you absolutely can't spend more than $15 plus shipping but that Superlux set I mentioned are radically better if you can cough up $35 shipped.

I think shipping was $7-ish from Monoprice so the Superlux set is only about $12 more.

The Philips 9500s are only a few $$$ more, as are the Beyer Custom is from New Egg.

The Monoprice set are definitely better than the JVC Flats that get some praise as long as you don' mind the extra bulk.

Last edited:
I got the Superlux 681 and the HD681 EVO for Christmas.

They both sound very good. I can´t relly hear a difference compared to my Sehheiser PX 200II.

The Superlux only cost €20 and €30 here in Germany respectively :)

I have a set of those Monoprices. They are OK if you absolutely can' spend more than $15 plus shipping but that Superlux set I mentioned are radically better if you can cough up $35 shipped.

I think shipping was $7-ish from Monoprice so the Superlux set is only about $12 more.

The Philips 9500s are only a few $$$ more, as are the Beyer Custom is from New Egg.

The Monoprice set are definitely better than the JVC Flats that get some praise as long as you don' mind the extra bulk.
Monoprice are currently $9.21 each. Last time I shipped two pair the cost was $3.49. So really three pair shipped would likely cost roughly what the Superlux one pair costs. But heck, it's only money. Just wanted y'all to be aware of the Monoprice phones in case you have a use where you just don't want to subject your good cans to abuse. My daughter uses them on the subway in NYC.

I have to chime in here and put in a hearty word of recommendation for the 1More Triple Drivers for great reasonably priced IEMs. I think I paid the equivalent of about $85 USD for mine on sale here in Canada. Best $100 CAD I ever spent on headphones!

The steal of the year is the Monoprice 8323 series HP at roughly $22(?) that have been out for a few years I believe. Unbelievable value & "bang for the buck". I bought a pair a year ago because, 1) many folks were recommending these cheap costing things, 2) I needed a set I wouldn't worry about while in my shop and while mowing my yard. I own some expensive HPs but when these came in, I was shocked at the sound of them! Remember, <$25!!

Long story short, I've since bought nearly a dozen and modified several for myself and my friends. Note also, they are GREAT for certain mods due to their assembly make-up.
Upgraded custom cabling, earpads, some special materials inside the ear cups, etc. all make an improvement. Obviously, mods cost money but I keep them modest and the results provide fun and different "HP personalities" for listening to different genres of music.
Here are a few pics:

PS I own the Grado 80 series = great for rock.

Attachments

• 20171203_203944.jpg
    20171203_203944.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20171203_203506.jpg
    20171203_203506.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20171203_203737.jpg
    20171203_203737.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20171203_203638.jpg
    20171203_203638.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20171103_195945.jpg
    20171103_195945.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Another vote for Superlux. I've had my HD330 for 4 years and I really like them. And just last month the cable gave up - which is OK after all the abuse.
Also the earpads were replaced with one for Sennheiser DT 770 and they are much more comfy. I know this is an extra spending but eventually they need to replaced.
If you are going to use them in a noisy environment I will suggest the HD660. Overall you receive a lot for the money - good construction, easy to disassemble, customizable and good looking.
Some improvements can be made for the cable in the future - for example since my cable needs to be changed I am going to drill a bit bigger whole and put a mini-XLR for the cable and hopefully increase the lifespan of both the cable and the headphones.

Attachments

• IMG_20180131_185650.jpg
    IMG_20180131_185650.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 17
If you are going to use them in a noisy environment I will suggest the HD660...

Did you mean to say, 'If you are NOT going to be using them in a noisy environment...'?

I really like the 600 and 660, but I think they are a terrible choice for noisy environments as they offer zero isolation.

Status Audio CB-1 gets my vote at $59. CB- stands for closed back. Removable cable allows you to use whatever one you want (comes with 2 cables, one standard, one coiled, but I bought a flat one since they don't tangle as much). The stock pads are very comfortable so no need to swap them. They fold up well. Audio is great.

Did you mean to say, 'If you are NOT going to be using them in a noisy environment...'?

I really like the 600 and 660, but I think they are a terrible choice for noisy environments as they offer zero isolation.

Yes, they don't have the best insulation. Probably you are comparing them against the 681's (they are too bassy for me). And it's easy to add damping on the 660's for almost no cost(there is lot of info on the web).

Now I see people admiring the newer design and sound with the 50mm drivers(compared to 40mm in 660 gen) - 662, 681, 668B, 669. Seems they have better insulation out of the box. And a lot of votes go for the 662f for the balanced sound. I haven't heard them yet so I can't say more. In the end it's all about personal preferences. If one have the chance to hear them in person - choose the one you like and go with them. What we say here is just our liking :) . And all this is without adding the variable driving your headphones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom